Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've watched several YouTube videos on cleaning, but I've never seen anyone add oil to a gun. Do you guys add oil, and if so, where?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yes, well I did before I got some gunzilla. I added a little oil to a patch and ran it through the barrel, then follow that with a clean patch. Then add a little dab to the guide rails on the frame, maybe a little on the rails on the slide to. Do a search for "how to oil a ___ " (whatever your gun is) on youtube.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Hoppes gun oil, where the manual tells you to.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Yeah, you really need to look at your owner's manual. Don't have one? Check the manufacturer website, it's probably available as a download. Firearms are not all equal in terms of how and where to lube. Some are better off on the dry side, and some are more lube dependent. The owner's manual will guide you in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
Just about every gun requires lubrication. The type of gun and to some extent, how and where it's used, dictate the type of lubrication used. As an example, my revolvers are lubed exclusively with oil, but the M-1 Garand requires both grease and oil (at different locations). And here in Arizona, due to the heat I use a special grease on the slide rails of my automatic pistols.

What's your gun?

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
A Glock will only need about 5 drops, but in specific places.

Reactions: marcclarke

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
IMO, with Glock pistols, err to the side of dry. They don't need much lube to work properly and too much lube around the striker area just leads to a buildup of gunk in the striker channel (I speak from experience). The Glock manual will tell you what the lube locations are, just don't think that if one drop is good, three drops will be better and you'll be fine.

FWIW, I barely put any lube on mine and I've never had any issues because of it.

Hickok45 did a good Youtube video on cleaning and maintain a Glock pistol... I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Being a glock you can just drop it in a bucket of oil, rack the slide a few times and wipe it down it should run fine. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I always use Gunbutter, here is a good video for you:

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I just bought some frog lube... heard lots of good things about it so we will see. While in iraq, I quit using CLP and used remington dri lube. Its a teflon based spray on wipe off lube. Really cut down on the debris and gunk that built up from excessive dust.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Taurahe, its great stuff, I originally bought it because there is no petroleum products in it so it wont hurt nice wood grips. Also smells minty wife likes it.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Taurahe, its great stuff, I originally bought it because there is no petroleum products in it so it wont hurt nice wood grips. Also smells minty wife likes it.
LOl as soon as I opened it I thought I smelled pepto bismol lol. Loving the smell

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Oh, c'mon guys! First you want me to clean them, and now you want me to oil them as well? It's beginning to sound like these new-fangled firearms may be more trouble than their worth! Just run them through the dishwasher and baste them like a turkey.

BTW - Froglube's the answer.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Oh, c'mon guys! First you want me to clean them, and now you want me to oil them as well? It's beginning to sound like these new-fangled firearms may be more trouble than their worth! Just run them through the dishwasher and baste them like a turkey.

BTW - Froglube's the answer.
Just make sure you don't do the hot dry cycle.

LOL, I've seriously debated throwing the lower in the dishwasher and hitting it with a blow dryer afterwards. I'll probably take the chance someday.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

1 - 17 of 17 Posts