Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am retired, fat, and broke. I Had an accident in 2003 and broke my back and nowadays I feel lucky just to be able to walk a little. Here is my problem. I have a Wilderness Tactical belt and have been carrying my vintage 1911 in a el-cheapo gun show nylon IWB holster.

I recently acquired a CZ-82 and really like it and plan on retiring the 1911 because a poor guy like me really does not need to carry a $1,200 piece. As I said I am fat (49" waist) and pear shaped so I really cinch the belt down tight. I can get the pistol out just fine BUT I have to uncinch the belt and drop trou to put it back in the collapsed holster. I suspect that many leather holsters would be the same. I really don't want to spend $100+ for this but is there an option?

What do you think? :smilez:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'm not fat,(yet) getting larger that I used to be, and as a woman I have a distinct curve to work around.
A good holster doesn't collapse at the top when the gun is removed.
Even the off the shelf bargain leather holsters are reinforced.
I use an inexpensive Desantis Speed Scabbard for my 1911 and can reholster with one hand and not even having to look at the open of the holster.
My 1911 was around 1200.00 also and a 60.00 holster seemed reasonable. I don't like the nylon holsters, the fabric is too rough and uncomfortable and catches the fabric of my cover shirt.
Look into a leather holster and I doubt if you'll look back.

·
Registered
713 Posts
My Pure Kustom holster does not colapse under the tension on my belt at all. I cinch it down pretty tight too. A good quality leather holster should be able to stay open at all times.

P.S. Welcome to the Fourm!

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
My leather holsters don't collapse. But you could alway try kydex.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Check out the Crossbreed Supertuck. It's a kydex on a leather backing and the most comfortable holster I own

·
Registered
206 Posts
Look into the Don Hume holster line. Quality holsters at pretty good prices.

I vote with Gilfo. I am not quite as large as you, but I do have a roll. I like the Don Hume 721OT because IWB is just too uncomfortable. That extra body helps hide the firearm for you.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Welcome to the forum....

I'm a big boy myself, 6'3'' and a 48'' belt line and I use a UBG Canute with a reinforced mouth. Very nice holsters and I cinch up tight and can re holster easily.

There are some high quality holster makers that belong to this site and can hook you up with some quality leather. I recommend the reinforced mouth to take care of your concerns.

You will have to see what fits your price range but they are worth it by all means.

Good luck, rk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go with a Supertuck. I work on a ranch and needed something that was secure and comfortable while sitting in vehicles all day or riding horses and having the supertuck I have not had much discomfort as long as I had it positioned at the 4:30 position. Also if it does not work out after 2 weeks send it back for a refund.
The more I wore it the better it feels and after awhile you almost forget it is even there. It has great support and having the leather backing helps as well. I bought mine in horsehide and did not get the combat cut for comfort
I do not have a gun belt yet but using a good quality belt that I use has done the job for now. My budget is limited so for the money you cannot go wrong. I will be getting a gun belt down the road when I can scrape up some extra cash. After practicing a lot with it I can draw and reholster with no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts