Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Plastic guns have their place. I still carry a Sig 938 and mostly Colts every day. I do own several S&W plastic guns. They come out of the safe once in a while. I don’t do the grocery shopping in my house. My wife asked me 40 years ago to go to the store and get one thing, I came back with 3 bags of groceries. Never been allowed back in one.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hopefully a bit tongue in cheek as I have zero issues with plastic guns performance and understand the pros of them and still don't like em much. Why do we all have to suffer the square slides and those damned rails on everything? One of the reasons a 1911 and similar(despite its weight and dimensions) carries so well is they actually rounded the top of the dang slide and made some effort to make them slim and smooth. I had a Sig P227 that was a great gun and I sold it after I got tired of the cheese grater on the dust cover chewing my leather holster to shreds every time I drew or holstered the gun. Take a look at the 1908 Colt pocket "hammerless" That is how an every day carry gun should be designed. Smooth, thin and easy to carry almost anywhere.
Even my plastic HK has that annoying cheap spring in plastic sound when you push the decocker. "Ting!". Ugh!

All in fun, sort of.:smile:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Some people apparently forget that Gaston created the G17 primarily for military use, not concealed carry.

Carried all steel/aluminum hammered guns for decades, still do from time to time. The majority of carry today are striker fired polymers however. I'll carry both as I shoot them equally as well.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I have several plastic pistols. Don't hate 'em but I don't love 'em either. I tolerate them and can appreciate the advantages they offer in weight savings, ergonomics and stuff like that.

But I WILL NOT own a plastic stocked rifle. Don't care much for the look of stainless, either. Mine are ALL hardwood and blued steel. Same with my two shotguns.

Yeah, I'm old.

Call it an idiosyncrasy. :yup:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Plastic guns have their place. I still carry a Sig 938 and mostly Colts every day. I do own several S&W plastic guns. They come out of the safe once in a while. I don’t do the grocery shopping in my house. My wife asked me 40 years ago to go to the store and get one thing, I came back with 3 bags of groceries. Never been allowed back in one.
That's it right there for me!

I have both! It all boils down to one's "personal preference". I'm not bound by others opinions or views about what to or what not to carry (i.e. plastic vs steel)! Both plastic and steel serve me quite well and whichever one I "feel" like carrying that day; I carry! :vs_cool:

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
It's amazing to me that the materials are an issue. Strength, durability, and utility for the purpose are what matter. In a weapon we can add reliability and accuracy. So, my most reliable and accurate carry weapon P35 - Hi Power. My 2nd most accurate and reliable carry weapon P99AS. The former is all metal with wood grips and is a sweet shooter but is HEAVY and SA only. The latter is also a sweet shooter, much lighter, almost as accurate, and is SA/DA with a decocker. One has 13 rounds the other 15-18 depending on magazine. When carrying all day the P99 is on my hip. It's also polymer and has night sights while the P35 is mostly steel and has target sights. Ah well, just means that those who come to dislike polymer after owning them help me get my new weapons at a discount on the used market. :danceban:

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
For carry, I always go with what works best for me and satisfies my wants, needs, and requirements. For some years now, that meant Glocks, M&P's, and in the not too distant past, Kahr's. My current carry stable is about the best I have ever compiled. And yes, those are polymer semi-autos.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Not So Off-Topic Rant

Bamboo fly rods made for centuries are three times heavier than graphite fly rods, have slow sloppy actions, break easily, and will develop a "set" (permanent bend) in them if you catch a really big trout. They cost 2-10 times more than quality modern, lightweight, crisp action graphite/polymer fly rods. The rod industry worked feverishly for the past 4 decades to perfect new state of the art fishing rods.

Some guys love expensive bamboo and scorn the "newfangled plastic" rods. I don't. They work better. It's called technology. Hate it or love it, they're here to stay.
Bamboo rods are prettier, though.

I can appreciate a pretty gun, but don't particularly care if a gun is ugly, either.

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
Oh wavygravy, I've only been carrying on with this thread, having fun.

I have to say though that I truly don't believe that this "new crop" of "black plastic" guns we see now are any better than those I admire. It's apparent that the market currently defines "better" differently than I do.

And, that's ok.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not So Off-Topic Rant

Bamboo fly rods made for centuries are three times heavier than graphite fly rods, have slow sloppy actions, break easily, and will develop a "set" (permanent bend) in them if you catch a really big trout. They cost 2-10 times more than quality modern, lightweight, crisp action graphite/polymer fly rods. The rod industry worked feverishly for the past 4 decades to perfect new state of the art fishing rods.

Some guys love expensive bamboo and scorn the "newfangled plastic" rods. I don't. They work better. It's called technology. Hate it or love it, they're here to stay.
Bamboo rods are prettier, though.

I can appreciate a pretty gun, but don't particularly care if a gun is ugly, either.
Yep, appreciation is what this post is about to me not function or practicality. I do own a few plastic guns myself ya know.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Yep. If I ever have any kind of disposable income, I'd actually love to own a $4K Garrison bamboo fly rod and a really top-tier 1911.
For now, I'll have to stick with ugly graphite rods and polymer pistols, I guess. :embarassed:

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
OP has revolver avatar and dislikes plastic guns, shocking.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I have fond memories of mine

Attachments

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I'm a revolver guy and I'm still having a hard time liking my LCR. (Compared to my other revolvers)

But above all, I'm a gun guy, and have a ton of plastic bottom feeders. I like them all a lot, and have no problem at all carrying any of them.

But,,,,,,,,, I'll take ANY of my all steel revolvers over my very favorite plastic gun any day.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
OP, I can relate.

Years ago I left the polymer game for 1911s. This past summer, I decided to give them a try, again, thinking I needed a higher capacity 9mm polymer. Well, I tried a Walther Q5 Match, Sig P365 (higher capacity pocket gun), and a Sig P320 XCarry. While I liked and shot the Q5 and 320 well, I didn't want both of them, and ended up trading the Q5 for a CZ SP-01. The 320 was gone soon after. I have decided to keep the Sig P365 because it fills a niche very well for me. I guess I'm just a steel gun type of guy as well.

Matter of fact, I ordered another CZ today as an upgrade to the one I got a couple weeks ago. :smile:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have owned many polymer guns (both striker & hammer) and tried them all for EDC. Then I found myself always carrying my Kimber SIS Ultra over the lighter higher capacity polymer guns. There's just something about the 1911 platform that suits me better than polymer guns. So, my plastics have gone to my kids (they love them) or sold. The only exception is my P226 on the nightstand. I've never felt under gunned with 7+1 and a spare mag.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts