Defensive Carry banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Hopefully a bit tongue in cheek as I have zero issues with plastic guns performance and understand the pros of them and still don't like em much. Why do we all have to suffer the square slides and those damned rails on everything? One of the reasons a 1911 and similar(despite its weight and dimensions) carries so well is they actually rounded the top of the dang slide and made some effort to make them slim and smooth. I had a Sig P227 that was a great gun and I sold it after I got tired of the cheese grater on the dust cover chewing my leather holster to shreds every time I drew or holstered the gun. Take a look at the 1908 Colt pocket "hammerless" That is how an every day carry gun should be designed. Smooth, thin and easy to carry almost anywhere.
Even my plastic HK has that annoying cheap spring in plastic sound when you push the decocker. "Ting!". Ugh!

All in fun, sort of.:smile:
AND.....a trigger that feels like a staple gun.......:aargh4:

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I have tried, I really have and I have owned some great plastic guns from Glocks, Sigs, S&W, Beretta, I could go on. They all shot well and they all carried well but, I still sold them. I appreciated the weight savings and the cost savings and even the engineering it took to design them but, still, I ended up dumping most of them and looking at dumping the rest here.
When I bought my Para commander it came with plastic grip panels and a plastic main spring housing and those were the first things to be replaced.
It might be just "crotchetyness" setting in as I long to go back to a 72 F250 and dump the newer crap with all the plastic and little lights and obnoxious bells and whistles and electric everything to "remind " us of how stupid and lazy we have become.
I digress.
What was I saying? O yeah, I think I may try a Beretta 92 to see if I can find anything that makes shooting 9mm any more enjoyable than taking out the trash. Of course those plastic grips would have to go.
Im kinda on the same path. Maybe, just maybe, getting older brings us back to the types of arms we remember and grew up with. Kind of like coming back home.

Besides Glocks, there never ( still isn’t) a polymer design that does it for me. The Glocks are a very good gun, and have served me well over the span of a career and then some, but they just don’t bring the enjoyment that the older designs do.

Oh, I’ll keep the three I have. They are great guns and are capable of filling in here and there.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Im kinda on the same path. Maybe, just maybe, getting older brings us back to the types of arms we remember and grew up with. Kind of like coming back home.

Besides Glocks, there never ( still isn’t) a polymer design that does it for me. The Glocks are a very good gun, and have served me well over the span of a career and then some, but they just don’t bring the enjoyment that the older designs do.

Oh, I’ll keep the three I have. They are great guns and are capable of filling in here and there.
I admit I like when a well used gun gets a little thin in the blueing around the edges. I remember the sound that a single action Ruger made when you cocked it and the new ones just don't have it, transfer bar and all I suppose. The new guns in many ways are great performers no doubt about it just like the new cars are much more efficient if not completely soulless. My younger brother is a mechanic as he calls himself not an "automotive tech" like the new guys call themselves and he is having a hard time finding help that knows how to work on old stuff as he owns a classic restoration shop. If they can't plug the computer in to download the codes they don't even know where to start. Remember we were taught "spark,fuel and air" and all you had to do is track each one down until you find the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Well, I like guns. I particularly like guns that are really well suited for their purpose. I'd rather shoot a nice ol' revolver, a 1911, or some other old classic, like my P-38. But the warm fuzzies from a solid old classic only go so far. I'd rather carry a lighter, higher-capacity, and (in most cases) more reliable modern pistol. For a practical, effective SD handgun in today's world, I have to go with a plastic fantastic most of the time. Never drank the Block Kool-aid, but have been sold on M&P's for quite a while, and most recently, the P365 has raised the bar for a CCW.

Wonder if a Plastic Gun Haters Anonymous would go over this day and age!

Three live here, mostly to remind me to hate them better... Oh, I can't say that. The Smith & Wesson .40 Shield's pretty good for what it is ... plastic. I'll take it to the range infrequently when I think about it (and when I find the time to go!). Runs with never a bobble and represents a lot of .40 caliber gun for its size. It's the .40 S&W cartridge I admire more than the pistol...

...Ahhh ... this is more to the point. Reliable, truly convenient, doesn't require charging, standing by when you need it for the purpose, yet never behaves as a leash to manipulate your day when you're on the go.

The Smith & Wesson Military & Police snub, the Western Electric 500 telephone which was once was my grandmothers, and the house in which the phone cove is found at the landing on the stairs all date to 1952...
Holy Smokes, Bryan! We're the same age, but your folks must have been cutting-edge technology geeks! A Western Electric 500! I grew up with the ol' Model 302.

Phone.jpg

Ours was the metal-framed one, putting its date of manufacture at sometime prior to 1942, if I'm not mistaken. We never had a Model 500 until we moved to a new house in 1971! That ol' plastic M500 of your grandma's looked downright space-age the first time I saw one! Sort of a Glock telephone! :yup:

Anyway, about the guns...

I think you know how much I appreciate the look and feel and soul of a good ol' walnut and steel handgun, be it a classic Colt revolver or a 1911, and I'd far prefer an old steel-and-wood gun to tupperware on the range. But for a handgun to tote around for actual, potential social use, I'll take the P365, M&P Compact, or Shield!

As for caliber, well, the .40 S&W is one I just could never warm up to. Guess it fills need I don't have! :hand5: If a 9's not big enough, I'll go with .45! :yup:

·
Super Moderator
18,263 Posts
That phone is way cool Jim.

Looks like it ought to be on a desk in 1940s film noir.

The Western Electric 500 was only made with an black painted aluminum rotary dial the first few years then they became clear plastic.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
OK...fine !!! See what you guys have done now ??? Got me thinking about one of the better shooters I STUPIDILY let go....CZ PCR …..

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Even my plastic HK has that annoying cheap spring in plastic sound when you push the decocker. "Ting!". Ugh!
I love my HK 45c......BUT....it sounds like the cheapest gun in the toy store when I actuate the decocker. Even the springs in the pistol sound like someone just threw a slinky down the steps. Wonderful gun, cheap feel.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
:hand56:
I'm a revolver guy and I'm still having a hard time liking my LCR. (Compared to my other revolvers)

But above all, I'm a gun guy, and have a ton of plastic bottom feeders. I like them all a lot, and have no problem at all carrying any of them.

But,,,,,,,,, I'll take ANY of my all steel revolvers over my very favorite plastic gun any day.

I have to agree. :hand56:

My LCR is a nice shooting snubbie, but it gets left in the safe in favor of the S&W 640 or SP101more often than not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well...
maybe it is an artifact of age...
but plastic pistols don't suit my sense of propriety....
I got a shield in 9mm... gonna give it to my daughter when she turns 18...
but the gun I will get buried with is my trusty but not rusty S&W 4506... stainless 45!

Funny thing though.. plastic parts on an AR seem ok... but NOT a plastic Receiver!!
Buddy has one he fab'd up and you can feel a lot of flex in the pistol grip...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hell I have one of those phones in my bed room hooked up you can answer the phone but you can't dial out it green and it also rings.
I have purchased my last plastic gun about one year ago the P365 I only look at metal now days.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I'm a part of the plastic generation. It's what I started on and carry almost exclusively, revolvers aside. I do have some metal guns for the range but none for carry.

That said I really want a metal conceal carry piece just not sure what exactly. I've wanted a 2075 RAMI for some time now.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
I carry plastics everyday. But I've got all I can reasonably forsee a need for. Now I've turned my attention to wants. My latest acquisitions include the Colt Trooper MK III and the Wilson-Beretta 92G Vertec. But I don't feel compelled to get rid of all the rest of the plastics I own that don't get shot much.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
"...Colt Trooper MK III...."
Nice! I have an early 80's model, round bottoms, 98% MK III 4", .357 of course, will have to get another pic (STILL pissed-off at Photobucket :( ).

OP "...try a Beretta 92 to see if I can find anything that makes shooting 9mm any more enjoyable than taking out the trash. Of course those plastic grips would have to go."
Go old school, here's 92 for ya' and you don't have to scrap the grips...Bruniton and OEM wood. Disclaimer: This one sits in the back of the safe with rubber grips because, a) handles better on the line and b) I have the OEM grips in a preserve pack...the gun has sentimental value in my case.

92sb.jpg

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
It might be just "crotchetyness" setting in as I long to go back to a 72 F250 and dump the newer crap with all the plastic and little lights and obnoxious bells and whistles and electric everything to "remind " us of how stupid and lazy we have become.
Not a Ford, but a superior Dodge W200 Power Wagon.

DSC00355small.jpg

·
Registered
18,298 Posts

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
When I go shooting the most important thing to me is getting to see fire come out of my weapon and it make loud noise, big booms! I like to blow up objects like milk cartons or junk. Bigger the bullets the better, as far as what they are made of I see a need for all of them. We need to make more guns out of more stuff. Wonder if you could make one out of chicken wire? Plastic straws? The possibility is endless.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I don't mind the plastic much, as the HKs, DA/SA, its the striker fired that I'm not liking anymore, for everyday carry, and yes I have a few from Glocks, Walther and M&Ps my range gun is a VP-9 though.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts