Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Virginia SB436: Creates the Virginia Voluntary Do Not Sell Firearms List (the List) that prohibits the possession, transportation, and sale of firearms to any person who voluntarily registers himself to be enrolled into the List. The List shall be maintained and updated by the Department of State Police. The bill makes it a Class 3 misdemeanor for any person enrolled into the List to purchase, possess, or transport a firearm. The bill disqualifies any person enrolled into the List from obtaining a concealed handgun permit and prohibits such person from being employed by a firearms dealer. The bill also makes it a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person who sells, barters, gives, or furnishes, or has in his possession or under his control with the intent of selling, bartering, giving, or furnishing, any firearm to any person he knows is enrolled into the List.

They have really outdone themselves on this one. I really thought they could not get any "stupider." It's almost like its a contest...

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
That goes in the "reality is stranger than fiction" category. If a comedian proposed such a thing he would be laughed AT for being so absurd.

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
250 Posts
ummmmm if you don't want to own a gun don't buy one?? Did I miss something? Does that exclude people on "The List" from being in the military?

Man VA has really gone full libtard.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
That reminds me of the book “Catch 22”.

In the book, Catch-22 is a military rule typifying bureaucratic operation and reasoning. The rule is not stated in a precise form, but the principal example in the book fits the definition above: If one is crazy, one does not have to fly missions; and one must be crazy to fly. But one has to apply to be excused, and applying demonstrates that one is not crazy. As a result, one must continue flying, either not applying to be excused, or applying and being refused.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
If someone puts their name on the list, how do they remove it later?

What about juveniles? If anti gun teachers convince them to sign up, when they grow up they may change their mind.

This also creates another trap for private sellers.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think there may be the germ of an idea here, though! Let's propose that ALL the new gun bills be voluntary! You don't like "Assault Firearms?" You can voluntarily not buy one!

As crazy as that sounds, it is not without precedent in VA. When AG Herring killed reciprocity with a lot of other states, the deal to get then Gov. McAwful (D) to overrule him by signing a universal reciprocity bill was he wanted to "close the gun show loophole." UBCs were unacceptable, but the compromise was to have the VA State Police at every gun show, available to do "voluntary background checks." We got what we wanted, the gov. got what he wanted, even though it meant nothing.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I have heard of this list being a tool for people with mental illness being able to prevent their future suicidal selves from buying a gun. Don't shoot the messenger- just reporting what I know.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard of this list being a tool for people with mental illness being able to prevent their future suicidal selves from buying a gun. Don't shoot the messenger- just reporting what I know.
As other countries with higher suicide rates and strict gun laws have proved, if you want to commit suicide, you will. You don't need a gun. It is a popular way to commit suicide in this country because guns are available, but if they weren't, it would probably make no difference.

And how screwed up do you have to be to be worried about your "future suicidal self?" At that point, you need to get yourself voluntarily locked up.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well it makes sense to me, we all know the siren songs emitted by firearms. Why else do we continue to buy them?
I mean most people don't have that much discipline to not be mesmorized. Ya know just walking by a LGS for a hoplophobe is mind altering and they may be seduced into the killing fields.
Maybe those same people would register on a DO NOT ALLOW ME TO VOTE! List, or maybe a don't allow me to reproduce list for the climate ya know?
The "Lists" could be endless???:danceban:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Whoever came up with this bill should probably register themselves on the list

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
So basically, this is just a path for the anti gunners to put themselves in a “gotcha” position with FFL’s. No other reason for this to exist since people could simply not buy guns for themselves.

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
A voluntary list like this could be a tool down the road for prosecutors. Folks with domestic violence or stalking cases may be able to volunteer to be on the list in exchange for having charges dismissed.
I think you nailed it there. "Voluntary" might not be entirely voluntary.

Reactions: Merovius

·
Registered
387 Posts
They Are Coming After Our Children

If someone puts their name on the list, how do they remove it later?

What about juveniles? If anti gun teachers convince them to sign up, when they grow up they may change their mind.

This also creates another trap for private sellers.
This is exactly what they are doing. They are coming after older high school students and college students. Why? Because they spend time during the week more time with progressive teachers, professors, counselors, resident assistants, and administrators who are trying to indoctrinate them than they do with their parents and family. They are trying to change their core values, the core values their parents gave them. They know how susceptible they are to peer pressure and group-think. They are trying to get young people to sign away their 2A right in Virginia forever.
The bill did not seem to make any mention of a mechanism for removing one's name from the list at a later time...because they don't want one.

This bill isn't stupid...it's devious and manipulative. And it's evil because it targets the vulnerable.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
This list makes no sense! As Nancy Reagan used to say. "Just say No!" if they do not want to purchase a firearm.

People do not need a stink'n list!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
This isn't stupid it's a chess move. In a few years it will be changed to a non voluntary list of people that cannot purchase a gun. It will be a lot like the no fly list.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Such a list could also be a benefit for those diagnosed with early onset dementia or Alzheimer's who are worried about being manipulated into straw purchases. Get themselves on the list and don't have to worry about that sketchy nephew taking them shopping for an AK.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts