Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is the wrong place for this commentary, I'm sure the moderators will move it to the appropriate section.

Here goes:

Since the whole COVID-19 ridiculousness started, I have basically tried hard to avoid landing in the middle of all the crazies, knuckleheads and control freaks that have come out of the woodwork to tell everyone how they should be living their lives and what is the "new normal".

For the record, I refuse and have refused all along to wear a mask. The face coverings everyone uses don't work at all, and there are a limited number that do work, but only in a certain setting and only for a short time, but the bottom line is I don't live in fear of any illness or anyone. I have a compromised immune system, but I know I don't control when I leave this world, the man upstairs does.

With that being said, Now for the rant: Some that know me here know I live in San Antonio, Texas a city that has gone Liberal Whackadoodle Austin-wannabe. We have a Mayor and City Council that desperately want to compete with Austin, but are almost comically inept in doing so. Couple that with county officials that have been in power for decades and one can see that this is a city in a moral decline. I predict that we will have a thriving population of homeless defecationers in the next 3-5 years tops. What is so disappointing about the town though is the local gun shops here.

To put it bluntly I am just done with them all. They have gone full blown crazy with the customer distancing/wear a mask or no entry fear mongering nonsense complete with their Tacticool Steven Seagal types out front packing their impressive sidearms. The last straw for me was a combination indoor range/store that recently opened on the north side of town where I went to purchase another gun and a membership for my wife and I for mothers' day, as I have finally gotten her interested in the idea of range dates and competing as a couple. That is, until I got turned away at the door by the tatted up dude packing major heat because I refused to wear a mask. I told him that the mask was optional to which he snarkily answered "here they are not". Of course, I left a critical review of their establishment online and called it a day.

So that was it for me. 2 weeks prior, I drove by 2 other gun shops and asked people lined up out the door what they were doing. They said some of them had waited 2 hours just to be allowed the privilege to enter the shop to conduct business. But Mother's day was the last straw. I am sick of the lack of customer service that I have watched only get worse as time has gone on, with it peaking during this COVID-19 mess. But the creepy part is yet to come:

Fast forward 24 hours to today - My cell phone rings. I answer and it is the owner of the indoor range/store calling to speak with me. I asked how he obtained my number, as it is private nd I do not share it. He would not answer me appropriately, and merely asked me why I had such a problem with his establishment and what could he do to work things out. I answered that I was pretty explanatory in my review, that if I was going to be turned away for something that by state recommendation was something that would not be punished by civil fine or criminal prosecution then so be it. I won't spend my money with your business or anyone else who treats a customer that way, virus be damned. I expected business owners, especially gun store owners to be a little more cognizant and not let fear mongering dictate the way they operate their businesses. Then I reminded him that a woman owning a hair salon in Dallas had more guts and intestinal fortitude in standing up to the tyranny of local government officials than the entirety of the gun owning community here did. At that point he was silent, apologized and said "let us know if we can work this out".

I replied, no. I already did work this out, I headed north to one of your competitors up the highway who welcomed me with open arms and I did my weapons purchasing there, and from now on that is where my money and support will go........

San Antonio, folks is a lost cause. As soon as my youngest graduates HS, we are outta here for more rural, conservative and greener pastures.......

Ok, Sorry for the rant. I'm done.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I know what you mean about San Antonio. I live in North Texas about 25 miles north of Dallas. Getting that way in Dallas also.
I have been going down to San Antonio for long weekends for decades. Used to love the city. The food, the history the river walk.
It is not the same last few years. As soon as the wife retires we will also be headed far away from the cities

·
Premium Member
33,722 Posts
The mask thing is everywhere. I ordered $150 worth of equipment off Amazon yesterday after learning that Menards is requiring all patrons to wear masks, which they are selling at the front door.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Interesting times. I had a certificate of deposit account renew last week so I had to make an appointment to go to the credit union and deal with that little issue. I never thought I would be welcomed into a financial institution only if I wore a mask! I am thankful that I did not suffer a coughing fit, that might have caused the armed security guard to open fire.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Don’t hold up the Dallas hairdresser as an example..
They Require clients to wear a mask in their establishment and keeping all hair stations 6 feet apart. And limit the number of folk inside at all time.

But your money, your choice. Don’t support those you don’t want too.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The mask/distancing thing is a recommended health precaution for a real disease. I think a lot of the politicians and media have overreacted with their restrictions, but following guidelines to keep others safer is not a bad thing. I think if we could count on people to do the right thing voluntarily, we would have a stronger case against government intervention. Personally, I would not refuse to patronize any store that was trying to do the right thing for their customer's benefit. And I think the owner showed remarkable customer service in calling you and trying to work it out. Most would have said, "Good riddance."

Some gal just shot up a McDonalds because they would not let her in the seating area. They only had the drive through open. I think people are overreacting to venues trying to do the right thing because they got a little inconvenienced.

I sincerely hope you and your loved ones don't get this virus.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How do you feel about surgeons...operating without a mask? Why do you think masks are required in a surgical suite? And, no, I am not comparing apples and oranges....think about it....this is about masks. Everyone is angry about this whole thing....some more than others.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
So you simply refuse to wear a mask, any circumstances, and therefore you’re righteous? How you leave this world is more important than anyone that you may impact. Did I get that right? If you kill someone else, well hell, what the hell. They were probably liberal gun haters anyway. Mom. Grandma. Lil kids. Take no prisoners.

·
Banned
288 Posts
I know I don't control when I leave this world, the man upstairs does.
This is hard on everybody. I sympathize. I'm old enough to be considered in the vulnerable group plus heart problems and cancer.

BUT.......the Lord helps them that helps themselves and you DO.......YOU DO have at least SOME control over when you leave this world.

So......as another annoyed (but careful and alert) man........I advise you to be careful and stay alive.9/

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I agree- Unless you have a N95+ fitted properly, the mask is not really protecting you.

However, what a mask does, or really any facial covering masquerading as a mask, is protecting other people from you if you are an asymptomatic spreader. This occurs by limiting the direct flow of mist and droplets out of your mouth when breathing, talking, coughing (50 mph) or sneezing (200 mph).

When I take groceries to my mid-80's parents, I wear a mask. When I go into public buildings, I wear a mask.

I guess I am now a stooge of "the man"...

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I agree- Unless you have a N95+ fitted properly, the mask is not really protecting you.

However, what a mask does, or really any facial covering masquerading as a mask, is protecting other people from you if you are an asymptomatic spreader. This occurs by limiting the direct flow of mist and droplets out of your mouth when breathing, talking, coughing (50 mph) or sneezing (200 mph).

When I take groceries to my mid-80's parents, I wear a mask. When I go into public buildings, I wear a mask.

I guess I am now a stooge of "the man"...
When we get through this, I am hoping, and predicting, we will see more people wearing masks during the regular flu season. It people to that and get vaccinated, we would save a lot of lives there too.

·
Registered
33,868 Posts
Someone is overdue a double shot of bourbon, and it's not me for once. It's your option to enter any business or not, as well as where to spend your money. No problem there.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts

Random thought: Don't sneeze, cough, or spit on anyone and you won't need a mask, even if in the rare circumstance you have it and can spread it to others.

Cloth masks give wearers et al ZERO protection from a virus. They exist to make people feel good about themselves and virtual signal those who know enough not to bother w/ one. This is my opinion based on what doctors have told me. Do as I do; don't do as I do. But please don't tell me it does anyone any good.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I just received a e-mail from my shooting range, it will be reopening with N.Y. mask policy's 100% compliance is mandatory.....

I will not be shooting at this range anytime soon ,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Random thought: Don't sneeze, cough, or spit on anyone and you won't need a mask, even if in the rare circumstance you have it and can spread it to others.
I am impressed you can control all of your spontaneous coughing and sneezing, even keeping the spittle from flying out of your mouth when you talk. :rolleyes: I will keep wearing a mask around my parents.

Cloth masks give wearers et al ZERO protection from a virus.
Did you read my opening statement? I agree completely. When I go into a store, I wear a tight fitting N95. Like I said, I am a direct vector to my parents, who I like, and would appreciate them being alive for awhile longer. One of their longtime friends has already passed from this outbreak.

They exist to make people feel good about themselves and virtual signal those who know enough not to bother w/ one. This is my opinion based on what doctors have told me. Do as I do; don't do as I do. But please don't tell me it does anyone any good.
My opinion is based on the micro-particle physicists who work in my office, my neuroscience research lab manager wife, and my retired microbiologist mother-in-law, but what would they know? I bet they are all part of the "plandemic"... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
I have mostly stayed at home because I am high risk and fortunately my nearest and dearest NEEDS to get out and go somewhere every day, so he runs all the errands. However it was a fantastic treat to get to the outdoor range around 10 days ago with my shooting buddy. We met there and didn't touch each other's stuff. Now that more time has passed and neither of us is sick at all, she is picking me up and we will go together this week as we have done in the past.

I don't mind wearing a mask in stores, etc. even though I don't have any germs to spread. The majority of other people in the stores around here do not wear masks though.

To me "to mask or not to mask" is not a big issue. There are other things that for me are big issues and I stand by my own standards, just as the OP did in the case of the gun shop/range. And that is quite OK with me.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Most masks do little to protect the wearer. The point is to prevent the wearer from spreading the virus to others, if he's infected and asymptomatic. IMHO the strangely popular refusal to wear masks does not show courage, but instead displays either ignorance of their function or disregard for others.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts