Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Great post OP. I could not agree with you more.

I was pleasantly surprised when I visited a local gun store to pick up my new gun last week. Although I disagree with the policy that you must wear a mask to enter any store I tied my bandana around my face before I went in. Right away I saw that neither of the employees were wearing masks, and one (the owner I believe) said to me "You don't have to wear a mask in here if you don't want to, the governor can kiss my ---". We then had a long conversation about constitutional rights and government over-reach while he did my backround check. I also noticed that his prices were the same as pre-panic and commented on that. He said that stores that gouge their customers in times like these will be remembered when it's over, and he won't do that. This place has earned a spot as my local go-to for any shooting supplies.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
When people say things like "I hope you don't catch the virus" or "we need to stop spreading the virus", I wonder what is the goal?

In March, we were told to stay home to "flatten the curve". We saw all of these graphs about 100% of the population being infected. With normal interactions, the infection rate would be steep and overwhelm the capacity of medical providers, ICU, etc. With modified travel and interaction, the infection rate would be spread over a longer period of time, but the number of people infected at a time would be lower.

Now, we are being told to wear masks so we don't spread the virus. I hear "we can beat this!" (I would be happy to link studies on mask use, but it seems the data is understood. A mask is effective for a limited time. Taking one mask on and off contaminates the mask. Cotton masks are not proven effective at protecting the wearer or preventing the wearer from spreading a virus.)

So what is the goal? Flatten the curve or stop the infection?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I hear you and agree with you on everything. We have a Tractor Supply store that just over the weekend made it mandatory for customers to wear masks to enter. I shop there a lot and they send customers to me so have not decided how to handle that. More than likely I will put a mask on and shop there. I for one think that if someone sneezes or coughs with 90% of the masks I see people wearing it will do not good whatsoever but it makes people feel like they are helping. The county I live in has a population of around 76,000 and has had about 50 confirmed cases and I believe right now none that are active. Even though population is low it covers a decent size area.

The question I have asked and have not received a legit answer from the believers of the masks help is if they help then why close so called non essential businesses? Why not have them all wear masks and it will not spread right?

·
Super Moderator
16,113 Posts
The goal is to make you feel "woke".
I love all the new catch phrases on TV.
We are in it together.
Together alone.
The New Normal.
And my favorite. In these uncertain times.
When have things ever been certain?
Not to forget the constant "social distancing" babble.

·
Premium Member
7,338 Posts
The Covid 19, social distancing and masks proponents have coalesced into a nigh medieval sectarian cult.

These proselytes are absolute in their convictions, eager to cast judgement on the non-believers, and shame anyone who does not repent from the fear of this new Viral God and dare such practice the selfish and inimical acts of free will and skepticism.

·
Registered
33,909 Posts
The Covid 19, social distancing and masks proponents have coalesced into a nigh medieval sectarian cult.

These proselytes are absolute in their convictions, eager to cast judgement on the non-believers, and shame anyone who does not repent from the fear of this new Viral God and dare such practice the selfish and inimical acts of free will and skepticism.
Amen!

To whatever he said.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
The concept of your TV's channel changer applies to almost everything in life. If you don't like what is playing out in front of you then simply change the channel.

If you don't like the business practices of a particular place, then take your money on down the road and spend it somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
This Sunday my church opened for service but you had to wear a mask.
A lot of folks after about 15-20 minutes got up and left. I was one of them.
After about that much time, I can not breathe normally and feel shortness of breath, same went to the others as we talked out in the parking lot.
Wearing a mask for an extended period of time is not an option for me. I do not have asthma or COPV, just have trouble breathing with one on.
I wear it long enough to get in and out of supermarket.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
"They found a standard surgical face mask was enough to considerably reduce the amount of virus escaping in the breath and coughs of people infected..."

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200504-coronavirus-what-is-the-best-kind-of-face-mask

and

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/25410/20200421/austria-90-drop-coronavirus-cases-requiring-people-wear-face-masks.htm

Just wear a mask, it's a bit of a PITA, but it has been shown to be effective, even the cloth surgical masks.
It is actually more than a bit of a PITA. It can make people that are claustrophobic very uncomfortable if they have to wear it a long time. Is reducing the amount enough to stop the spread? I would think stopping all of it would be the only way to really stop the spread of a virus. Then again I am not an expert.

·
Premium Member
7,338 Posts
How about...

First, if a business wants you to wear a mask, the proprietors are not "control freaks," they are just attempting to make customers feel safe and act on the knowledge they have. If you do not want to wear a mask, don't go to that business. But times are tough for them right now, many are on the verge of losing everything, so why not just help them succeed if it means you have to wear a mask, even if you doubt the efficacy of doing so.

Second, if a person does not want to wear a mask, they are not necessarily "ignorant" nor going to "kill someone else" and do not have a "take no prisoners" attitude as suggested by some posters above. Perhaps they are sick and tired of the ever-changing opinions of experts, the ever-moving goal posts by the Government, and the ever-changing "re-opening" dates. That does not make them ignorant or indifferent to human suffering.

·
Registered
33,909 Posts
It's called freedom of choice, something that has been nearly non-existent as of lately.

OIP (10).jpg

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I bought a flag gaitor that I wear only at Menards because they are so heavy with their disinfectant. I get sick going there. My hands get raw if I use the cart and my nose gets raw inhaling the heavy fumes. It's getting a bit better as they seem to be doing a better job of working ahead and getting a large number of carts sanitized ahead of time. However, I see the cashiers using their bare hands on the disinfectant rags after every purchase, wiping down the credit card reader that nobody touches. I see lots of cases of skin cancer in the future.

My daughter lives in New York and they are actively looking to transfer out of the communist nation. They have to wear masks, but bandannas are acceptable. It doesn't have to be a proper mask.

Masks, the Surgeon General has again condemned the public wearing these masks because the public doesn't wear them properly, disposing or sanitizing often, touching their faces, adjusting the masks, putting them on and off without sanitizing their hands with simple soap (regular soap does just as good a job as those with cancer-causing chemicals found in the antibacterial soaps), and high moisture content creating a breeding ground for viruses and bacteria.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
It is actually more than a bit of a PITA. It can make people that are claustrophobic very uncomfortable if they have to wear it a long time. Is reducing the amount enough to stop the spread? I would think stopping all of it would be the only way to really stop the spread of a virus. Then again I am not an expert.
There are anti-anxiety meds available...

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
How about...

First, if a business wants you to wear a mask, the proprietors are not "control freaks," they are just attempting to make customers feel safe and act on the knowledge they have. If you do not want to wear a mask, don't go to that business. But times are tough for them right now, many are on the verge of losing everything, so why not just help them succeed if it means you have to wear a mask, even if you doubt the efficacy of doing so.

Second, if a person does not want to wear a mask, they are not necessarily "ignorant" or going to "kill someone else" and "take no prisoners" as suggested by some posters above. Perhaps they are sick and tired of the ever-changing opinions of experts, the ever-moving goal posts by the Government, and the ever-changing "re-opening" dates. That does not make them ignorant or indifferent to human suffering.
There is knowledge out there that says masks do not help and can cause more harm than help so if they are on the verge of losing everything I would think they would be worried about losing those customers.

Just went into Tractor Supply where they require masks. Sign on door says it is for the safety of their staff and customers. There was only 1 of the 2 registers open so had to wait to get checked out. They have the little red footprints telling people where to stand. Now if they are really concerned about safety and health would they not have both registers open and staffed to get people in and out of the store quicker? I think that is the case so they are not really concerned about health and safety but more about their bottom line.

21 - 40 of 169 Posts