Votes: 6 6.5%
  • 308~~~165gr

Votes: 50 54.3%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You live East of the Mississippi and hunt mostly in heavily wooded areas.

which caliber would you choose:

·
Super Moderator
18,176 Posts
Semi auto .30-06.

Like the Remington 7400 that I have killed lots of stuff with.

.308 would be good too.

·
Super Moderator
18,176 Posts
I see now that you have a poll. I didnt see that the first time.

I picked the .444, because I have one and it works great on deer.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I picked 308 because I might end up in a beanfield. 45-70 would be logical choice for Mississippi since you can use it during blackpowder season (but I already have one).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why can you use a 45/70 during black powder season. It dosent load like a black powder? it has a cased shell,, Don't think that the conservation man will go with that one walking out with a deer on dec 19th, to check your tag and deer, in Missouri, Mississippi might be different.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Why can you use a 45/70 during black powder season. It dosent load like a black powder? it has a cased shell,, Don't think that the conservation man will go with that one walking out with a deer on dec 19th, to check your tag and deer, in Missouri, Mississippi might be different.
About three years ago Mississippi aproved 45-70 (pus several other calibers) black powder in all but a couple of WMA. Has to be a single shot breech loading over 35 caliber. Not enough people were hunting during black powder season. To many deer. H and R 45-70 is the number one selling rifle. My T/C Black Diamond has become a safe queen. Paper is full of used black powder guns for sale here.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I'd like to retract my vote from the 30-30 and change to the .308. My trigger finger was faster than I was this time. My bad.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
For heavily wooded hunting...hard to beat the good ole' Marlin 336 in 30-30...the lever action is as old as the hills and trouble free...has been for decades.:wave::22a:

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I lived and hunted most of my life east of the Mississippi. I've always used a .30-06 except a season in Ohio when I used a 12 gauge. I voted .308 for the occasion you might be in a bean field or a straight forest road or fire break.

·
Registered
654 Posts
For a deer gun, as you stated, from those you listed, I say the 30-30hands down with no reservations :yup:

Hornady LeverEvolution ammo.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I’ve hunted all over the southeast, as well as Texas, and while I own two 30-30’s and have taken many a head with them if I could only have one deer rifle, I would prefer the new pre-64 actions Winchester’s in a featherweight with 22-inch barrel. And of your choices, I’d pick the 308.

I’m more of the mindset one bullet one kill. So my weapons mostly reflect that, and for that reason, I carry a custom 270 when I’m hunting.

Slow and large

The idea of slow and large to blast through bush has some merit, and if that is truly what you’re after, then I would choose the 45-70 or just go with a 12-ga, autoloader and use slugs.

·
Registered
574 Posts
In Eastern NC we have tow kinds of huntin', woods and bean fields. The 270 Win. is THE Beanfield Rifle. The 30-30 is THE wooods rifle but it is challenged by the 12 Ga. Rifled Slug guns that are out now. All three calibers are adequate.
The 270 Bolts are deadly to 400+ yards but it is slower to get on target so it is rarely used for woods / stalking. The 30-30 is a 150-200 yard gun. The 12 Ga. Rifled Slug gun is a 100+ yard gun. I gotta mention, if I hunt a Thicket ( a very overgrown wooded area) I use a 44 Magnum carbine. The 444 or 45-70 would fill that role well.

·
Registered
861 Posts
For heavily wooded hunting...hard to beat the good ole' Marlin 336 in 30-30...the lever action is as old as the hills and trouble free...has been for decades.:wave::22a:
Got one in 35 Rem.....

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well it looks like my next deer gun is going to be the 308.

whats the difference between the 308 and the Marlin 308 express?

is that the same cartridge or are there minor differences:confused:

·
Registered
304 Posts
for heavily wooded areas the 30-30 hands down. The distances are going to be shorter, the lever actions are more maneuverable in restrictive spaces, and they are mighty fast to bring to target.

Longer ranges I would go .25-06 or .30-06.

You mileage may vary, but I voted for the 30-30.

·
Registered
42,314 Posts
If you're strictly hunting in woods, you can't beat a good ole 30-30. Ammo is cheap (comparatively) and available. I used a Glenfield (El Cheapo Marlin) for years with great success.

If there's a chance you'll be hunting open fields (or possible a trip out west, or bigger game than a deer), then the 308 would be the better choice. Recoil is minimal, range and stopping power is good.

Personally, I have a Rem. 700 in 30-06, which I've used to take rockchucks (like western groundhogs), deer, caribou, and moose. I reloaded my own (165 grn spitzers) which is a great rounds. A great all-around cartridge.

Better to be over-gunned than under-gunned. A 308 will always fit the bill, whereas the 30-30 may come up short ( you spot a deer in a clearing 200 yds away).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts