Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my gun belt. I've got my kydex AIWB holster in the mail. I'm looking for a solid OWB holster for the range, and first and foremost, I've got my G19.

This begs me to ask the question, "Now what?"

I know that it is important for my peace of mind to carry, for both me and my wife's saftey. However, I have no formal firearms training besides my fair share of range time. I work a 9-5 (M-F, w/church on Sunday) sales job where I bring in the majority of my household's income, so what feasible way is there for me to get the proper instruction I would need to make carrying a firearm practical? Feasible in terms of being both affordable and manageable with my schedule.

I've seen a lot of talk regarding the muscle memory required in a worst-case-scenario in order to be effective, and if I'm being honest, it's a little intimidating hearing military and LEO's input while just being a civilian myself.

Reactions: CG11 and matthew03

·
Registered
170 Posts
First, It's fine to respect someone's LOE or military experience and where appropriate learn from them, but there is absolutely no need to be intimidated. There are at least a bazillion folks who have better firearms skills then many LEOs and probably most of the military. Many LOEs don't practice on a regular basis. Many only shoot as required to keep their qualification. Also remember LEOs do a lot more than use guns or force. Remember also the majority of the military are not combat troops but support people. That is not a slight in any way. Without support people the combat troops wouldn't last very long.

You apparently place a value on your spiritual well being by attending church on a regular basis and your financial well being by holding a job. Now you need to use the same attitude towards your decision to carry a firearm and protect yourself and your family.

Take a few days off from work. Skip one day at church, etc. Get some formal training. Please don't rely on a 5 hour CCW course as training.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@NewSam thank you for that awesome input! I haven't even thought about it from that perspective, and am extremely appreciative of all that they do. Hope I didn't come across as too narrow with my comment.

I agree with me putting forth the same amount of effort in my decision to carry and protect my family. There seems to be a plethora of available option for that sort of training and preparation, is it recommended I just pick a point and start?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm in a roughly similar situation myself. My professional training is minimal (but more than my CHP class alone). What I wound up doing was purchasing Mike Seeklander's book, Your Defensive Handgun Training Program. He's got a pair of DVDs that are supposed to go with the book, but I haven't yet bought them.

The book is good, and has several dry- and live-fire drills you should use, along with a "testing" drill so you can gauge your improvement over time. There's a Defensive Handgun Training Log Book he sells (once in a while, he offers them for free + shipping). Together, they form a pretty good basis on which you can train and practice on your own. Be warned, though: a good deal of the live-fire drills cannot be properly done on a static straight-lane range. What I plan to do is find some national park land where I can safely and legally shoot. But for the dry-fire and some live-fire drills, I can do them at my LGS or at home.

The course is designed to take you several months, working 3-5 times a week, and can be repeated. The videos help you with knowing what to do. Combine that with a good video camera of your own, you can film yourself and perform some diagnostics in slow-motion.

Other alternatives are to reach out to Florida-specific gun groups. There may be some groups that teach for low-to-no cost. Get the book(s), reach out locally, and see what shakes in your neck of the woods.

Reactions: Cpt_Quail

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Cpt_Quail,

That book I was telling you about, turns out he's just extended the 71% off deadline through tonight, due to some technical difficulties on his end. If interested, you get all three of his Defensive books (training, drills and logbook), plus access to a bunch of videos. Head here to check it out.

(No, I'm not affiliated with Mike Seeklander, Shooting-performance.com, or his podcast in any way - except as a customer and a listener. I doubt the guy even knows I exist. :) )

Reactions: Cpt_Quail

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something along those lines of that, a book coupled with instructional videos, sounds like a perfect start. I'm gonna go ahead and check out that material along with seeing what else is out there. I want to get started as soon as I can.

That form of training coupled with 1-on-1 application with some instructors would be perfect. I've already looked at a few local guys down here and they seem really promising.

Thanks @jackrock, and good luck out there. Like the signature!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To augment formal training try some competition shooting, I have only tried IPDA once but it was an eye opener for me.
I've been seeing IDPA stuff the more I look into supplemental training resources. It seems pretty intense, but something I want to attend and even get into.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The only other advice I would give you is to NOT take any single instructor as gospel. It's amazing how many people hear ONE thing done ONE way, and now that's the only possible way it can be done. I like to expose myself to as many different instructors and methods as possible, then start picking and choosing what works best for me. And every instructor has something to offer.

Except VODA. That guy is just nuts and should be in a nuthouse.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
so what feasible way is there for me to get the proper instruction I would need to make carrying a firearm practical? Feasible in terms of being both affordable and manageable with my schedule.
The basic NRA courses would be a start for you. Seek out NRA instructors in your area. It's pretty basic stuff but I've never found the courses to be a waste of time. Sounds like "basic" is what you may need.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can practice drawing from concealment, focusing on your front sight and target acquisition, and magazine changes without ever leaving your house. It's no substitute for actual live fire training and recoil mitigation, but it's an invaluable training tool. I would look to the local gun ranges in the area and see what type of fundamental classes are offered. At the very least, it may allow you to draw and fire from concealment. I would also look to see if any ranges in your area host guest instructors. A lot of the reputable, big name industry instructors travel to teach.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The basic NRA courses would be a start for you. Seek out NRA instructors in your area. It's pretty basic stuff but I've never found the courses to be a waste of time. Sounds like "basic" is what you may need.
Luckily my aunt is engaged to an NRA instructor and I've got an appointment set up with him for 0900 Sep 9th! He personally does a 9 hour course, so it's a little more in-depth than what I know already and what I've gotten from my experiences thus far.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Practice practice and practice. Do dry fire practice, lots of it. Preferably find a room as far away from your wife as possible, because the click from you pulling the trigger and the sound of the slide constantly racking will drive her nuts! Put on your belt, holster, and g19. Make damn sure you do not have ANY live ammo anywhere near you. Now draw and fire. I prefer to have a TV in front of me to have a moving target to aim at and fire. Rack the slide and reholster.

Go slow for quite a while, and often, to perfect your muscle memory to keep your finger OUT of the trigger guard until you are driving the pistol out and away from your body. Once you feel confident, find a range or a country road and practice with live ammo. Again, make sure you go slow so you don't accidentally do something stupid. And when you reholster. Go extra damn slow and watch it as you reholster. There's no reason why anyone needs to reholster as fast as they possibly can. That is when mistakes are most likely to happen.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Dont ever feel intimidated. If a trainer makes you feel like that then he's the wrong choice anyways. The good ones simply want to take what shows up and have them leave as better shooters more able to defend themselves and their familys. Use some vacation time and take a 2 or 3 day course and then build on it. Training is a life long commitment. You do what you can and what you can afford.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Often my vacation time is spent on a range or in a class. I too am in sales, I'll pick up a class here and there at the local range after work, every few months when they have someone interesting coming through.

I've even trained with GMan, (member here), you'll find plenty of reference material and knowledge right here, as we have several accomplished trainers who are members; some even operate in your area.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Something along those lines of that, a book coupled with instructional videos, sounds like a perfect start. I'm gonna go ahead and check out that material along with seeing what else is out there. I want to get started as soon as I can.

That form of training coupled with 1-on-1 application with some instructors would be perfect. I've already looked at a few local guys down here and they seem really promising.

Thanks @jackrock, and good luck out there. Like the signature!
If you're looking for a book, IMHO this one is very good to start with. Massad Ayoob is a well-respected trainer and covers a lot in one book.

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/p/gun-digest-book-of-concealed-carry-ayoob-massad/1111762050/2677787607173?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP3038&k_clickid=3x3038

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I can only offer what I decided to do when I first began carrying.

I wanted qualified instruction about the use of force laws and carriage/possession of weapons in my State
I wanted to get a very firm grasp of basic gun handling, safe operation, care and storage of my weapon
I wanted to receive competent tactical instruction where I could learn armed fighting techniques, ground fighting, weapon retention and armed force on force.

Take your time and enjoy the process. The hard part is already behind you, all the rest is just cake. How much cake is only limited by time and money

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cpt_Quail,

That book I was telling you about, turns out he's just extended the 71% off deadline through tonight, due to some technical difficulties on his end. If interested, you get all three of his Defensive books (training, drills and logbook), plus access to a bunch of videos. Head here to check it out.

(No, I'm not affiliated with Mike Seeklander, Shooting-performance.com, or his podcast in any way - except as a customer and a listener. I doubt the guy even knows I exist. :) )
I'm just now getting done with work so I was lucky enough to miss that MASSIVE discount, but that doesn't at all dissuade me from buying into it anyways!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts