Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You can practice drawing from concealment, focusing on your front sight and target acquisition, and magazine changes without ever leaving your house. It's no substitute for actual live fire training and recoil mitigation, but it's an invaluable training tool. I would look to the local gun ranges in the area and see what type of fundamental classes are offered. At the very least, it may allow you to draw and fire from concealment. I would also look to see if any ranges in your area host guest instructors. A lot of the reputable, big name industry instructors travel to teach.
I'm only able to get through all of the comments right now, but I had seen that someone else mentioning reputable instructors coming out to the range for some one-on-one and you better believe I'll take advantage of it. I also just did a few drawing from concealment drills and I think i figured out why some are not fans of the finger grooves on Gen 3/Gen 4 Glocks. I love my 19, but I found it difficult to rapidly get a steady grip, to their credit this is my first time practicing that maneuver.

Hope you and your family are safe, @Kinzei. Texas has been in my prayers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Practice practice and practice. Do dry fire practice, lots of it. Preferably find a room as far away from your wife as possible, because the click from you pulling the trigger and the sound of the slide constantly racking will drive her nuts! Put on your belt, holster, and g19. Make damn sure you do not have ANY live ammo anywhere near you. Now draw and fire. I prefer to have a TV in front of me to have a moving target to aim at and fire. Rack the slide and reholster.

Go slow for quite a while, and often, to perfect your muscle memory to keep your finger OUT of the trigger guard until you are driving the pistol out and away from your body. Once you feel confident, find a range or a country road and practice with live ammo. Again, make sure you go slow so you don't accidentally do something stupid. And when you reholster. Go extra damn slow and watch it as you reholster. There's no reason why anyone needs to reholster as fast as they possibly can. That is when mistakes are most likely to happen.
I just ran through that drill a few times here in the guest room. It's about 1:56AM over here so my wife had the luxury of sleeping through my practice so far haha. That's really good advice for focusing on a moving target and will certainly do that (with my blinds closed because of my apartment complex).

I will ABSOLUTELY take my ever loving time re-holstering when drilling with live ammo. The last thing I want is to pop one off while carrying appendix.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Often my vacation time is spent on a range or in a class. I too am in sales, I'll pick up a class here and there at the local range after work, every few months when they have someone interesting coming through.

I've even trained with GMan, (member here), you'll find plenty of reference material and knowledge right here, as we have several accomplished trainers who are members; some even operate in your area.
I've seen a few of GMan's posts and comments around here already! Man, I'd love to put in some range time with a few on this forum. I'm thankful for the wealth of knowledge and experience on here as well.

Sales is quite the job, I'm getting off now and will be back in the office around 6. "Always be closing" doesn't have time restraints. :ponder:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)

I saw this post a little earlier but didn't have time to check the book out before getting off of work.

I've seen Massad Ayoob's name being thrown around here and there on the forum, and for 4 bucks I don't think I could go wrong. *Adds to cart*

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@Fizban those are pretty wise footsteps to follow in for someone like myself just getting started, thank you for sharing!

As for the cake...well, I really love cake. I think I might put a little bit of extra money away for dessert here and there.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I saw this post a little earlier but didn't have time to check the book out before getting off of work.

I've seen Massad Akoob's name being thrown around here and there on the forum, and for 4 bucks I don't think I could go wrong. *Adds to cart*
I didn't see that - only four bucks? I hope I didn't link the wrong thing, the paper version is usually like $20. If I did, I apologize.

The title is Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@maxwell97, I believe it was a used paperback version! I actually read the reviews regarding the B&N used book sales and decided it might be a little quicker to go the Amazon route.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Somebody brought up Ayoob. There's another book I highly recommend. Here's my review of Deadly Force - Understanding Your Right to Self Defense. It has almost nothing to do with gunfighting, but everything to do with the legal fight after the shoot. Fantastic information in there for civilian concealed and open carriers.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm just now getting done with work so I was lucky enough to miss that MASSIVE discount, but that doesn't at all dissuade me from buying into it anyways!
DANGIT!! Glad to hear you'll still get it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just ran through that drill a few times here in the guest room. It's about 1:56AM over here so my wife had the luxury of sleeping through my practice so far haha. That's really good advice for focusing on a moving target and will certainly do that (with my blinds closed because of my apartment complex).

I will ABSOLUTELY take my ever loving time re-holstering when drilling with live ammo. The last thing I want is to pop one off while carrying appendix.
While we ensure the gun is empty prior to dry fire drills always drill like it's real ammo. The way you practice is the way you perform under stress.

Another tip, don't use random objects as targets. Pick one room, garage etc. to be used as a training dry fire room. If at all possible aim, (dry fire) in a safe direction.

Also get a large piece of cardboard, put a target on it. This is the only object you will train, dry fire at.

The concept here is to clearly define a practice area, target, and conditions where you will draw and fire your weapon. If you practice in any and all rooms aiming randomly at various household items, TV, etc and pulling the trigger this activity then becomes normal. This could set up a scenario where you draw your loaded weapon aim at random item and fire reflexively / negligently just like you have been practicing.

I hope I have explained this well.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
You mentioned church, I have actually started going to a new church because I like shooting with their Mens group. They alternate between Target shooting, Trap, CCW, and SD. They bring in instructors, And I have yet to not learn something new! DR

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Another tip, don't use random objects as targets. Pick one room, garage etc. to be used as a training dry fire room. If at all possible aim, (dry fire) in a safe direction.

Also get a large piece of cardboard, put a target on it. This is the only object you will train, dry fire at.
This is the target I use. It's scaled for an 8" circle at various ranges. If you stand four yards from the target, the #7 circle represents an 8" circle at seven yards. The #10 circle represents an 8" circle at 10 yards and so forth.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You mentioned church, I have actually started going to a new church because I like shooting with their Mens group. They alternate between Target shooting, Trap, CCW, and SD. They bring in instructors, And I have yet to not learn something new! DR
That's pretty darn awesome! I love shooting/hunting with the guys down at my church.

Those that CC and practice regularly (ladies included) comprise our security team during services. We have active shooter every so often, and constantly have our skills checked/maintained by the LEOs that are a part of the team! Definitely love the environment my church family provides.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This is the target I use. It's scaled for an 8" circle at various ranges. If you stand four yards from the target, the #7 circle represents an 8" circle at seven yards. The #10 circle represents an 8" circle at 10 yards and so forth.
Wow! thanks Jack. That's pretty cool that it's provided for free like that. Being a part of this forum has been really great, and I'm grateful for all the help I've gotten.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@NewSam, you absolutely did. I've got a decent amount of cardboard from my recent move. I think I'll set up something this weekend and continue that training regimen in a safe, controlled environment where I can develop effective habits/responses.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Now you accumulate more guns like the rest of us.
I've got a few so far, and I'm only growing my list of what I want.

Please send help while there's still time for me.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Just go to a range and put some rounds down range. That is a good starting point to learn how to load and empty the gun. You learn how the gun handles then you get to take it apart and clean it. Learn to hit the target then advance at your speed. I dare say most of us here started with baby steps. Not becoming fighters out of the gate.

·
Registered
922 Posts
That's pretty darn awesome! I love shooting/hunting with the guys down at my church.

Those that CC and practice regularly (ladies included) comprise our security team during services. We have active shooter every so often, and constantly have our skills checked/maintained by the LEOs that are a part of the team! Definitely love the environment my church family provides.
Thats about the best idea Ive heard in awhile. Your way ahead of the pack already if your thinking along these lines.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I think it's very wise to have formal instruction. There are a lot of people out there that have defended and will defend their lives without a single other person training them, but you're never going to be harmed by having someone there watching you and looking out for mistakes to correct and tweaks to make that you would never even think of. Train for every day situations first, IMHO, and then if you want to, train for the less common things as your skill gets better and time goes on. Don't complicate things yet, have someone help you with the fundamentals of shooting first and foremost. Once you have that down, then start getting into scenarios. You can't prepare for an armed robber if you have the mental skills down but can't hit the broad side of a barn.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts