Defensive Carry banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I searched both google and the site first but didn't find anything specifically addressing Tax Warrants.

My fiance has had a tax warrant filed against her for unpaid state income taxes from several years ago (long story involving an abusive husband and divorce). I'm a long time holder, but her job recently changed hours and location and for the first time she has expressed an interest in obtaining her CCW permit. I know arrest warrants preclude the issuance of a license in the state, but a tax warrant is strictly for property not an arrest.

Can anyone give us a direction to look for an answer without wasting the money on the application process first?

Thanks, Matt

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I don't think that it will apply to her getting a license as it's not a criminal warrant in most states. I can't say for sure because I don't know your particular laws, but I think she may be okay. Best bet is to check with your local/state police. They'll know for certain.

·
Super Moderator
25,126 Posts
It is only the legal notice of establishment of a lien on real property from unpaid taxes:

The filing of the warrant in the office of the county clerk of the county, shall constitute and be evidence and notice of the state's lien upon any interest in any real property of the taxpayer against whom such warrant is issued, until such tax, penalty and interest accruing thereon is paid.

68-231. - Oklahoma Public Legal Research System

OPLRS
It has nothing to do with the statutes for an Oklahoma License.

OTC and Attornies

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
In the state of Texas, we have no state income tax. If you have a federal income tax lien here then you will be denied a carry permit.

A firearms instructor in Oklahoma should be able to answer this.

13. What if I have an active warrant?

If you have a warrant out for your arrest including bench warrants for failure to appear or failure to pay on any offense (felony, misdemeanor, traffic ), you are deemed a “fugitive from justice” and are therefore ineligible to possess a pistol due to the laws of the United States Code.This would then make you ineligible to receive a handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

https://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/SDA_FAQs.html#Q13

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
In the state of Texas, we have no state income tax. If you have a federal income tax lien here then you will be denied a carry permit.

A firearms instructor in Oklahoma should be able to answer this.

13. What if I have an active warrant?

If you have a warrant out for your arrest including bench warrants for failure to appear or failure to pay on any offense (felony, misdemeanor, traffic ), you are deemed a “fugitive from justice” and are therefore ineligible to possess a pistol due to the laws of the United States Code.This would then make you ineligible to receive a handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

https://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/SDA_FAQs.html#Q13
This isn't that type of warrant. A Tax Warrant, as noted above, has nothing to do with arrests, jail time, or imprisonment. One is not a "fugitive" with a Tax Warrant.

The word warrant can have many meanings, many of which have nothing to do with arrests or legal proceedings.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Can anyone give us a direction to look for an answer without wasting the money on the application process first?

Thanks, Matt
Yes, find a competent tax attorney to get it straightened out.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
This isn't that type of warrant. A Tax Warrant, as noted above, has nothing to do with arrests, jail time, or imprisonment. One is not a "fugitive" with a Tax Warrant.

The word warrant can have many meanings, many of which have nothing to do with arrests or legal proceedings.
That's why asking a legal question on a forum is dangerous. I won't attempt to know the law, and admit it. If one wants to know the answer, then consult a professional. My free advice is worth every penny of it.

·
Super Moderator
25,126 Posts
Yes, find a competent tax attorney to get it straightened out.
Attorneys are over-rated unless you're in Court. A CPA can answer too.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
The IRS must be pretty busy getting their own house in order right now.

They really need to go after themselves before they start nailing everybody else. :biggrin2:
I don't even have my 2015 tax refund yet. My 1040 got hacked 3 years ago and they have been paying some people in Eastern Europe. Those people are so incompetent it is unreal.

Reactions: Rock and Glock
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.