Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I friend of mine just gave me a box of Federal +P+ that he ordered from Cheaper than Dirt about six years ago. I appreciated the gift, but am concerned about a few things:

1. The age of the ammo, being 6 years old.
2. The box says "for Law Enforcement only."
3. I thought I heard somewhere +P is ok, but +P+ can be dangerous in your firearm.

The age of the ammo is at least 6 years old. Is the ammo still ok to use or should I dispose of it? I currently have fresh Corbon +P that I use for self defense/home defense.

The Federal ammo I was given says "for Law Enforcement only." What happens if I am in an SD situation and use this ammo? Will I get in trouble for using "Law Enforcement only" ammo? I would think it would be ok to use since it was purchased directly through Cheaper than Dirt, but I wanted to get some opinions. The notation on the box has me concerned since I am not LEO.

I have two Glocks, a generation 2 G19 and a generation 3 G26. I thought I heard that you needed to be careful with any +P or +P+ as it can be very hard on your firearm. Will +P+ hurt my Glocks?

Thank you in advance for your feedback on this ammo.

·
Registered
809 Posts
First, six years is nothing really. Provided the ammunition was not stored underwater or something like that, it should be fine. If you are concerned, fire a few shots and see how it does.

Second, it is marked LE only because it is loaded to pressures higher than the industry standard. There is nothing special about the ammunition other than that. Federal and other manufacturers simply didn't sell the stuff on the open market because of the increased pressure. There is nothing illegal about carrying LE Only marked ammunition, and it would be unlikely to be an issue any more than any other ammunition available. The fact that you used LE ammunition might even help your case in the event of a trial.

Third, 9mm Glocks are built to use 9mm NATO ammunition, which is loaded hotter than our +P+. You will probably increase wear slightly on your Glock if you shoot +P+ instead of standard pressure ammunition, but it is not something that is going to break your gun in a few shots.

If it were me, I'd be comfortable carrying LE marked +P+ ammunition even if I were not an LEO.

That said, the ammunition isn't magic. It doesn't do anything that any other high velocity 9mm JHP won't do. Your CorBon ammunition probably offers the same level of performance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, six years is nothing really. Provided the ammunition was not stored underwater or something like that, it should be fine. If you are concerned, fire a few shots and see how it does.

Second, it is marked LE only because it is loaded to pressures higher than the industry standard. There is nothing special about the ammunition other than that. Federal and other manufacturers simply didn't sell the stuff on the open market because of the increased pressure. There is nothing illegal about carrying LE Only marked ammunition, and it would be unlikely to be an issue any more than any other ammunition available. The fact that you used LE ammunition might even help your case in the event of a trial.

Third, 9mm Glocks are built to use 9mm NATO ammunition, which is loaded hotter than our +P+. You will probably increase wear slightly on your Glock if you shoot +P+ instead of standard pressure ammunition, but it is not something that is going to break your gun in a few shots.

If it were me, I'd be comfortable carrying LE marked +P+ ammunition even if I were not an LEO.

That said, the ammunition isn't magic. It doesn't do anything that any other high velocity 9mm JHP won't do. Your CorBon ammunition probably offers the same level of performance.
Landric, thanks for the quick and detailed response. It is much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
No, this ammo is no good. Send it to me promptly so I may properly dispose of it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Bless you, Varob, I needed a good chuckle!
Thank you for that!
(insert broad and toothy grin here!)

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
You can still get this loading from Federal. I recently bought a bunch from ammunition to go. It's one of my favorite loads, used to carry it as an LEO. It's a classic load that's been putting BG's down, with great reliability, for a long time...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can still get this loading from Federal. I recently bought a bunch from ammunition to go. It's one of my favorite loads, used to carry it as an LEO. It's a classic load that's been putting BG's down, with great reliability, for a long time...
Good information. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I have ammo, both commercial and handloads, that is close to 30 years old - still shoots just fine. There's WWII ammo floating around that still shoots.

Properly stored, the "shelf life" of ammunition is measured in decades, not years.

Most LE-only markings are manufacturer's sales gimmicks and do not necessarily indicate any difference in performance over "civilian" ammo. There "may be" differences where the ammo lot is/was a contract purchase for a specific agency, but most of the time, not.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have ammo, both commercial and handloads, that is close to 30 years old - still shoots just fine. There's WWII ammo floating around that still shoots.

Properly stored, the "shelf life" of ammunition is measured in decades, not years.

Most LE-only markings are manufacturer's sales gimmicks and do not necessarily indicate any difference in performance over "civilian" ammo. There "may be" differences where the ammo lot is/was a contract purchase for a specific agency, but most of the time, not.
Thanks for the clarification. :wave:

·
Registered
11 Posts
My father gave me some .22 shorts that were about 50 yrs old.When I shot them, you could actually follow the bullet to the target.They also sounded like a cap gun when fired.
When I drove an armored truck for Wells Fargo, I carried +P+ in my model 10 S&W with no problem.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
My father gave me some .22 shorts that were about 50 yrs old.When I shot them, you could actually follow the bullet to the target.They also sounded like a cap gun when fired.
Both are pretty common with shorts, even new production, especially in a rifle. It's more a function of the lower powder charge/velocity rather than the age.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Send the "old" ammo to me. I will treat it with the respect that "older" things should have. I have "respected" ammo that is perfecty fine and over 70 years of age. I dont shoot it very often because it is mercuric primed and will rust the bore right out of a 30-06 in short order if not properly cleaned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The "Police use only" got me a great deal on 15 boxes of Golden Saber 9mm+P.
Guy in CA was told they were illegal for civilians to have, so he brought them to me for $15 a box.

Have 357's from 1971 (paid $5 a box) that still shoot fine.

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
Having recently taken and passed a 20-hour CCW class, resuming the shooting that I stopped about 30 years earlier, I have shot up most of my [20-30-year] old ammo, that was stored inside an old Army ammo box. It all seemed to shoot okay except a lot of it missed my targets! I regret that new ammo did not hit them much better.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Having recently taken and passed a 20-hour CCW class, resuming the shooting that I stopped about 30 years earlier, I have shot up most of my [20-30-year] old ammo, that was stored inside an old Army ammo box. It all seemed to shoot okay except a lot of it missed my targets! I regret that new ammo did not hit them much better.
LOL. It will get better with practice. :)

:danceban:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts