Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cobra 1952

(See below, Code Deleted by R&G)

This thing started by me buying that well worn but tight and accurate Colt Cobra. It had really crappy grips so I added a pair of aftermarket grips (real hard to find with the "long" grip frame/this gun was made about 1952).

Next a found a very nice 1966 era Cot Detective Special with the exposed ejector rod. A few weeks later, I found a 1973 era shrouded ejector rod model with very little wear on it.

I had one of these "D" frame Colts (it may have been an agent and maybe with a shrouded hammer) when I first started in police work in 1965 at the Lansing, Michigan police department.

I may carry the well worn Cobra since I can't do any more harm to the finish that what is already done. The shrouded Detective Special is definitely a keeper to show guys and shoot it at the range.

My local dealer has a nice 1971 Colt Police Positive I sold him last year and I may try to work out a trade for the exposed ejector rod Detective Special and some cash.

Kind of like these old Colts even though I have a real love affair with S&W J K and L frame revolvers.

Colt's new Cobra sort of got me going on these again as well as finding the old 1952 Cobra. If I do get the new Cobra which is stainless steel and rated for +P, I will try out the Buffalo Bore "FBI" load in it.

I guess I am getting sort of tired of all the plastic guns even though I carry (in my truck) a Glock 19 which I qualify annually with for my LEOSA (nation wide) carry permit.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Trooper Joe - don't see the pics. Only see hyperlinks to the photo source.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Cobra 1952

Detective Specials

This thing started by me buying that well worn but tight and accurate Colt Cobra. It had really crappy grips so I added a pair of aftermarket grips (real hard to find with the "long" grip frame/this gun was made about 1952).

Next a found a very nice 1966 era Cot Detective Special with the exposed ejector rod. A few weeks later, I found a 1973 era shrouded ejector rod model with very little wear on it.

I had one of these "D" frame Colts (it may have been an agent and maybe with a shrouded hammer) when I first started in police work in 1965 at the Lansing, Michigan police department.

I may carry the well worn Cobra since I can't do any more harm to the finish that what is already done. The shrouded Detective Special is definitely a keeper to show guys and shoot it at the range.

My local dealer has a nice 1971 Colt Police Positive I sold him last year and I may try to work out a trade for the exposed ejector rod Detective Special and some cash.

Kind of like these old Colts even though I have a real love affair with S&W J K and L frame revolvers.

Colt's new Cobra sort of got me going on these again as well as finding the old 1952 Cobra. If I do get the new Cobra which is stainless steel and rated for +P, I will try out the Buffalo Bore "FBI" load in it.

I guess I am getting sort of tired of all the plastic guns even though I carry (in my truck) a Glock 19 which I qualify annually with for my LEOSA (nation wide) carry permit.

Troooper Joe

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I had a Colt Lawman III in .357. Traded it in and now kick myself years later for having done so.

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
Thanks for posting this, Trooper Joe! I too have the old Colt bug. Here's a re-post from a few months ago:

OK, since we've started tossing pics up here...

Here's the older (to me) and nicer of my Snakes:

...and the "beater":

The M1909 and M1917 .45's are recent acquisitions:

...and the .38 Special Army Special is pretty sweet:

The Dick Specials hold a "Special" place in my heart:

(#2 still needs some decent grips!)

And then there's the grand ol' .41 Long Colt Army Special!:

:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
I hate you, Jim. :smile:

My 1924 Police Positive Special:

It's OK, Charlie. I'll get over it!

I think you've seen my ol' .32-20 Police Positive Special:

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
It's OK, Charlie. I'll get over it!

I think you've seen my ol' .32-20 Police Positive Special:

Yes, I have, and that one (as well as all the several others of yours) are very, very sweet indeed. WOOF !

These old Colts are great, and Trooper Joe started a great thread, didn't he ? Why yes, he did !

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Anyone (ANY one) who doesn't appreciate old Colts should immediately have their Man Card reVOKED! In fact, it's the only Love Affair that I could have with the complete & total approval of...my WIFE!
Very, VERY Nice! :congrats:

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Got a chance to clean a customer's Colt Python at my part time gig at the gun shop this past weekend. Nice gun, nice trigger. After so many years with Ruger revolvers, though, not sure I could get used to the different cylinder latch.

Enjoy yours. I carry my wheel gun (SP101) whenever I can. Nothing wrong with a (pair of) revolvers.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I've only got one old Colt revolver, a 1909 Police Positive Special that someone had cut down to 2" sometime in the last 70 years. Whoever did the chop did a nice job with a proper recrown and silver soldered post-war front sight.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
19,629 Posts
I have a fondness for Colts. The newest addition not in the family picture is a Custom Shop 1911 Series 70 Level III Custom.

Colts (1024x768) (2017_01_22 17_26_42 UTC).jpg Colt MkIV (S).jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts