Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
8,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had this before but it's been a while so I'll ask again. Is it better to rack the slide on your pump gun and warn a BG, hoping he will flee? Or is it better to maintain the tactical advantage and keep quiet?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I think that the pumping the gun to scare someone off is stupid, if the gun's chamber is empty, it better be for a better reason than an audible warning.
I agree. If someone is breaking into my home, they don't need/deserve a warning.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
We have had this before but it's been a while so I'll ask again. Is it better to rack the slide on your pump gun and warn a BG, hoping he will flee? Or is it better to maintain the tactical advantage and keep quiet?
To me, that whole scenario relates to firing a warning shot from a pistol. Not needed, and a waste of precious time IMO. If you're thinking about warning a BG away, then your mind is thinking way too slow IMO....you'll be conditioned and waiting for a response when your only response should be the one to save your life. Seconds count. If I can put it in more simple terms, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I lean towards the same thinking as you guys, why give away your position, but I see the benefits of not wanting to kill someone who would run away or surrender. The other thing is my wife is not comfortable with leaving the shotgun out with a shell in the chamber(no matter how many times I explain it won't go off by itself). But the way I see it, having to rack it means one less round to defend yourself with if necessary. So as much as I would like to not need to rack, as it is now, I will have to either drop one in and rack or be one shell down to start.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
That sound would scare the crap out of me if I wandered into the wrong place, but I'm not sure it is so scary to a career criminal, or somebody on a meth binge, or take your pick of other wacky mental conditions.

I would rather flash a shotgun mounted light to verify the target than think about racking the slide.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Racking the Shotgun

Assuming that you can legally stop the threat, the only noise that the perp should possibly hear is the boom. If you do it right, the last thing they might possibly remember is the flash...

Racking would only work if you could not fire to stop the threat, but why would you give away the tactical surprise when that was possible?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Ask the bad guy when you realize he has a gun already pointing at you. I'm sure he'll take the time to answer you which if your good will give you time to rack the slide and scare him. Or maybe not.

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
Since the BG likes to surprise people (breaking into your house), I think it's only fair to return the favor. No warning (racking the slide), just a sudden flash followed by a loud bang. Cycle and repeat as needed.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Walk softly and carry a big stick (gun).

I prefer stealth.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Do you hunt with an empty chamber?

·
8,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ask the bad guy when you realize he has a gun already pointing at you. I'm sure he'll take the time to answer you which if your good will give you time to rack the slide and scare him. Or maybe not.
Do you hunt with an empty chamber?
I didn't start this thread because I was unsure of what I would or wouldn't do. So please keep the sarcasm to a minimum. I started up this old thread topic again for the new folks here on DC. I read posts all of the time in the defensive long guns forum about how scary the slide of a pumpgun sounds to a BG. I just wanted to open up another discussion about it. So please discuss without the attitudes.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
As others have said, I give no warnings.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No attitude implied Timmy,I was just asking if you carry in the woods with a round chambered,why would you not be ready at home when the outcome is far more serious.

Thats all buddy!

·
8,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No attitude implied Timmy,I was just asking if you carry in the woods with a round chambered,why would you not be ready at home when the outcome is far more serious.

Thats all buddy!
Ok I believe you. If it happens again though I'll see that you get put on double secret probation. : )

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Okay, I'll admit to sarcasm, but the answer as to if it would have any effect is in my response. The BG is the only one that will know for sure.

It was sarcasm meant in a helpful way. I just don't use many of the emoticons. If someone is in your house why give away where you're at to "maybe" scare them? There are some bad bad people out there and my luck would be to encounter the one that takes the sound as a challenge.

Besides, wouldn't the sound of a 12 gage discharging inside a house be the best deterrent?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
zero warning.... and no because I want the MAXIMUM ammo in my gun at all times leaving the chamber empty means that i have one less in the Mag/tube when rack one it for effect.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts