Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of old favorites from when I was a kid in SW Missouri. KGBX carried the St. Louis Cardinal baseball games, which were broadcast from KMOX in St. Louis. Jack Back and Mike Shannon called those games. "It's going, going, GONE!" Today, KGBX is a contemporary rock station, whatever that is.

KWTO-FM Rock 99 was another favorite. It was THE Radio station for Rock and Roll. Today I understand it's ESPN radio - 24 hour sports talk radio.

Your favorite radio stations/announcers from long ago?

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
I don't recall the call sign, but there was a religious station in Spokane, WA, that one day decided to go rock. To celebrate the occasion, it played every version of Louie-Louie it could find for 24 hours straight. Apparently, there are a lot of versions.

As I left work at Fairchild AFB, I put my office radio on the station and cranked up the volume before locking the door and leaving. It must have been bad because sometime during the night someone managed to climb through the ceiling and get into my office to shut it off. I got a lot of dirty looks from the nightshift folks when they came in the following day.

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
WLIR, 92.7 FM Garden City, Long Island NY. Played the best New Wave music, often months before the songs hit Top 40 stations. They ignited my love for music.

When I went to the Military Academy, I had to join the cadet radio station (WKDT 89.3 FM) as a DJ to get my fix of music. DJing the cadet/civilian dances at Eisenhower Hall on Saturday nights is how I met my wife.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Growing up, my dad was a Pittsburgh Pirate baseball fan so I naturally followed suite. Bob Prince was the radio voice of the Pirates, broadcasting on KDKA out of Pittsburgh. I spent many humid Pennsylvania summer nights sitting out in the back yard listening to the game, just being with my Dad. Great memories.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
I listened to WDIZ Rock 100 out of Orlando, FL all through high school. (It is no longer in existence):frown:

·
Registered
Various
15,511 Posts
KOMA AM 1520 Clear Channel 100 KW with Charlie Tuna from Oklahoma City played rock and roll in the 1960s and covered most of the Western US when it went high power at night. I picked it up occasionally in Viet Nam.

XERF AM 1570 with Wolfman Jack from Ciudad Acuña, Mexico with 250 KW.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Good Memories Indeed!

I listened to KFAT in Gilroy California in the late 1970s and early 80s on my sailboat going from Newport Oregon to Guaymas Mexico and back. I could get it for about 200 miles along the California coast.
KFAT later was bought by Oregon State University in Corvallis Oregon. I wish i could still get it somehow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
WLW in Cincinnati Ohio. They carried the Cincinnati Reds games and still do to this day. We little kids would be playing kick ball or catchers out in the street and our dads would be sitting on the porch listening to Joe Nuxhall and Al Michaels until he left and then it was Joe Nuxhall and Marty Brennaman. Great memories. To be a kid again...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
There once was a little radio station in Flint Tx. which is about 20mi from Tyler, I believe it was a 2 or 3 man station than in 1970 or 71 I think is when Vanishing Point came and the radio station in that movie looked some what like the one that was in Flint.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Used to listen to Art Roberts spin the top 40 on WLS Chicago as a child in SC. Also Listened to WAPE in Jacksonville.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
A couple of old favorites from when I was a kid in SW Missouri. KGBX carried the St. Louis Cardinal baseball games, which were broadcast from KMOX in St. Louis. Jack Back and Mike Shannon called those games. "It's going, going, GONE!" Today, KGBX is a contemporary rock station, whatever that is.

KWTO-FM Rock 99 was another favorite. It was THE Radio station for Rock and Roll. Today I understand it's ESPN radio - 24 hour sports talk radio.

Wolfman Jack and Dr. Demento!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
One of the few radio stations I still listen to for music is a rock station that has been on the air here longer than I've been on the planet. KSHE95.
Kshe95.jpg

·
Registered
808 Posts
WQXR, New York City: Serious ("classical") music when I was a kid. Also WOR and WJZ, with kid-adventure shows (i.e., Sgt. Preston, Superman, etc.) after school.
KPPC, Pasadena (L.A.): 1960s and '70s rock, playing an entire LP album between (local) commercials, and taking requests.
KUSC, Los Angeles: Superb serious ("classical") music; '60s, '70s, and '80s; all weekend long, and taking requests.
KFAC, Los Angeles: Superb serious ("classical") music, all day, all night, all week.

·
Registered
8,071 Posts

FWIW, Jack Buck and his family lived a couple of blocks from us. I had the hots for his daughter, but she didn't know I existed. My best bud and I would jump the fence and swim in his pool in the middle of the night when they were on vacation. I sort of had lunch with him once. There was a famous hamburger joint on Manchester Rd., in Manchester, but it is long gone and I can't remember the name of it. It was tiny and only had a counter, no tables. I was having burger in there once and Jack Buck took the empty seat next to me. A slight brush with greatness!

When my younger daughter was in high school, one of her best friends was Shannon's granddaughter. Her mother, who was Shannon's daughter, ran Shannon's Restaurant downtown. My wife and I got to know her and her husband very well. I got to meet Mike a couple of times, but it was unremarkable. He was starting to lose it at that point. Another slight brush with greatness.

What I listened to on the radio was KXOK, with Johnny Rabbit and his mythical character Bruno J. Grunion. Late at night I could also get a station that aired Dr. Demento's syndicated show, where of course Weird Al Yankovic got his start. When I was a teenager, I switched to KSHE-FM for the rock music.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
One of the few radio stations I still listen to for music is a rock station that has been on the air here longer than I've been on the planet. KSHE95.
View attachment 320780
I listened to them when I lived in STL. Good station, wish we had a decent classic rock station in Houston.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Dick Biondi and the Larry Lujack on WLS out of Chicago.

Cut myself shaving laughing so hard listening to these two in the morning. Uncle Lar' and little snot nosed Tommy.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts