Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,350 Posts
KOMA AM 1520 Clear Channel 100 KW with Charlie Tuna from Oklahoma City played rock and roll in the 1960s and covered most of the Western US when it went high power at night. I picked it up occasionally in Viet Nam.

XERF AM 1570 with Wolfman Jack from Ciudad Acuña, Mexico with 250 KW.
XERF in Del Rio Texas was a great station to listen to at night on long trips from Oklahoma to Colorado.
Home of Wolf Man Jack.... see link.
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Del-Rio-stays-tuned-to-howling-disc-jockey-s-2130758.php

Many heard it on the X.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
In Fresno it was AM KYNO the Rock Station and at night KFIG FM. KYNO was the daytime Top forty station and KFIG was a night time Edgy Rock station. Both of those stations are now gone, But The DJ's are now Conservative Talk Radio hosts! Who would have thunk it! DR

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I mentioned Greaseman. For those who may not know this man, here is a link, most likely from the early 80's. It's pretty tame, as Greaseman shows went. But it gives you somewhat of an idea. He used a lot of innuendos in his "bits" (stories). And he had quite a few "characters" he portrayed. There was Sargent Fury, the Yiddish Cowboy, the Punk, Dr. Greasemanelli, the police officer, and a lot more. And nothing was sacred in his bits. He offended everyone and everything. Blacks, whites, Jews, foreigners, homosexuals, you name it. Nothing was safe. He was an equal opportunity offender, which made him hilarious.

I have chosen to remove some of what I wrote earlier because in retrospect, I believed it to be a touch inappropriate for this site. No one suggested I do this. I took this decision on my own.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
Various
15,552 Posts
I met Wolfman Jack at the Armed Forces Radio and Television Service headquarters in Hollywood while I was there on TDY in the early 1970s. He was taping shows for them and I talked to him for ten or fifteen minutes on a break.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Another Greaseman selection of bits.

·
Registered
33,987 Posts
WQAM in S. Miami in the early '60s. I remember them playing some new group to death, the Beatles or something. They also had a lot of giveaways. My older sister used to win junk all the time.

The station exists today as a sports station and is in N. Miami, no longer in S. Miami.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
And then there was KMOD-FM, Tulsa, Oklahoma, where radio personalities Brent Douglas and Phil Stone created the character Roy D. Mercer, calling unsuspecting persons and unleashing a big ol can of whup-ass on them.
Do you know which one was Roy D?

·
Registered
603 Posts
As a high school sophomore, I used to deliver newspapers in the wee hours of the morning (02:00-03:00). I carried with me a transistor radio that used to pick up AM "skip" emanating out of WBZ in Boston, where Dick Summer held court. Summer was a precursor to the "hippie" era. He had his little vignettes, doggerels, comedy skits, and pre-psychedelic music. I still remember the "announcer's test" (which Jerry Lewis could recite from memory):

One hen
Two ducks
Three squawking geese
Four Limerick oysters
Five corpulent porpoises
Six pairs of Don Alverzo's tweezers
Seven thousand Macedonians in full battle array
Eight brass monkeys from the ancient, sacred crypts of Egypt
Nine apathetic, sympathetic, diabetic, old men on roller skates with a marked propensity towards procrastination and sloth
Ten lyrical, spherical, diabolical denizens of the deep who haul stall around the corner of the quo of the quay of the quivery, all at the same time.

Reactions: M1911A1

·
Registered
831 Posts
...I still remember the "announcer's test" (which Jerry Lewis could recite from memory):

One hen
Two ducks
Three squawking geese
Four Limerick oysters
Five corpulent porpoises
Six pairs of Don Alverzo's tweezers
Seven thousand Macedonians in full battle array
Eight brass monkeys from the ancient, sacred crypts of Egypt
Nine apathetic, sympathetic, diabetic, old men on roller skates with a marked propensity towards procrastination and sloth
Ten lyrical, spherical, diabolical denizens of the deep who haul stall around the corner of the quo of the quay of the quivery, all at the same time.
There was a time when I could do that from memory, too.
Not any more; although when I read it, my diction is still quite good.

If I remember correctly, "Macedonians" is pronounced Makedonians, and "quay" is pronounced key.

·
Registered
81 Posts
KENO in Las Vegas, NV. Toured their station as a Cub Scout. Played Led Zep, Stones, Beatles, Who, and all the rest of that era. Remember when Led Zeppelin was considered Top40?

WWDC (DC101) in DC with the Greaseman. I understand it's still around. WAVA 105.9(?) was the best prog rock station of the time.

All time FM fave ever was WHFS. I sorely miss DJs the Weasel, Milo (who often seemed to have a headache), Missy(?), and Damien. I guess I should see if WRNR is still going....

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Early 70's listening from rural western Colorado, KOMA at night when in a rock mood
WBAP Dallas nights when in a country mood.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Before I discovered rock and roll music, my mother often had the console radio going during the day as she did her household chores. It might have been a station out of LA called KFWB. It played the popular music of the time. I remember a DJ during that era whose catch phrase was, "Yucca bean, yucca stew." He said it all the time.

After my dad's transfer to Rancho Cordova, I got a tiny transistor radio and my favorite station was KXOA 147. It played all of the rock of the era of the '50s and '60s. In about '63, I was put hip to the phenomenon of Skip. What an adventure. I went through batteries all the time because I had that radio on all the time.

After the moon landings, my dad got a job in Santa Barbara. There I got introduced to KLOS, an FM station out of LA. It played album versions of the music I listened to on TOP 40 AM radio in my car. It was on there I first heard In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida all the way through, as well as several others. My first teenage job was at Lombard's Lafayette Stereo store. On the advice of a couple of the salesmen, I spitcanned the transistor like a girl abandons a rag doll for a porcelain one in favor of a stereo receiver, two speakers, headphones, and a turntable. The difference between AM and FM radio was almost as revelatory as the blind being made to see. That said, you can imagine my joy after installing an VHF/FM antenna I got from Radio Shack on the roof, so I could pull in all kinds of stations, including the aforementioned KLOS.

·
Registered
603 Posts
KENO in Las Vegas, NV. Toured their station as a Cub Scout. Played Led Zep, Stones, Beatles, Who, and all the rest of that era. Remember when Led Zeppelin was considered Top40?

WWDC (DC101) in DC with the Greaseman. I understand it's still around. WAVA 105.9(?) was the best prog rock station of the time.

All time FM fave ever was WHFS. I sorely miss DJs the Weasel, Milo (who often seemed to have a headache), Missy(?), and Damien. I guess I should see if WRNR is still going....
Earth radio is in the toilet these days. DC101 is unlistenable, 105.9 has become talk radio (they are the FM arm of WMAL 630 AM), and WHFS is long gone.

I remember WHFS when they were at the 102.3 FM band (later, after the Einstein family sold the station, it moved to 99.1, which is now a news station owned by Bloomberg). I was studying photojournalism at the U. of Md. and needed to do a photo story. I called up the station and asked them if I could come in and shoot some photos. Sure enough, I came in and was given the tour of the station: the record library, the sound boards, the studios, everything! What a great local, community station!

An interesting note: WHFS was the first station in DC to broadcast in FM Stereo. Its call letters stood for "Washington's High-Fidelity Station." For a while, the student station at Georgetown University was in the same league, broadcasting as WGTB at 90.1.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Can't believe no one hasn't mentioned KAAY/1090 AM, out of Little Rock. Beaker Street & Beaker Theatre. From what I uderstand, at night, their signal spanned from Canada, on down to Central & South America. Beaker Street was a "total free form" station, that would play album side after album side with no interruptions, other than the DJ coming on & giving "station id & records he played", while "spacey music" played in the background. Dale Seidenschwarz, AKA "Clyde Clifford" was the "coolest dude" I'd EVER heard! (Wolfman Jack Not excluded!) Later they'd have Beaker Theatre, with "Fireside Theatre" & other sketch comedy. The show didn't start till 11:00 pm (?). I'd stay up 3/4 of the night, (with help) listening to them, out in the woods, while we passed a bottle around a camp fire.

·
Registered
603 Posts
"Fireside" Theater? I think you might mean "Firesign Theater." Hugo award-winning artists, comedians and personalities. There are still a number of quotations I'll throw out as a situation calls for it. Most people have no idea what I'm referring to. Web site

41 - 60 of 75 Posts