Defensive Carry banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Do you know which one was Roy D?
No I don't. I use to have their "albums" on cassette tape, but don't have any idea where they have went to. They were good for a lot of ribald humor that gave me lots of laughs. "Just how big a boy are you?"

·
Registered
873 Posts
I worked at a nuke outside of Bay City, TX in 1983. There was a Houston rock station that had vulgar "shock jocks" on in the morning, IIRC. They regularly said outrageous things like giving the weather then adding, "...and all you big (chested) (female dogs) give me a call!" I was shocked at the blatant vulgarity. I had naively thought southern Texas to be more conservative. It was a stereotype of more religious/conservative Southern-type folk I was carrying in my head that reality crashed into that first morning. I had never heard the like on any radio station in Denver at the time.

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts
I worked at a nuke outside of Bay City, TX in 1983. There was a Houston rock station that had vulgar "shock jocks" on in the morning, IIRC. They regularly said outrageous things like giving the weather then adding, "...and all you big (chested) (female dogs) give me a call!" I was shocked at the blatant vulgarity. I had naively thought southern Texas to be more conservative. It was a stereotype of more religious/conservative Southern-type folk I was carrying in my head that reality crashed into that first morning. I had never heard the like on any radio station in Denver at the time.
That would probably be "Stevens & Pruitt" on KLOL/101. Long gone, including Pruitt running a gun store(s), for a number of years, which finially "bellied up". Stevens died. Pruitt is dead now. I think that spot on the dial (101.1) is a Tejano station now. They were a "Texas version" of Howard Stern.

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts
"Fireside" Theater? I think you might mean "Firesign Theater." Hugo award-winning artists, comedians and personalities. There are still a number of quotations I'll throw out as a situation calls for it. Most people have no idea what I'm referring to. Web site
I'd googled, to insure I got the DJ's name correct, but didn't "DO" "do diligence" with respect to the "after show" (Firesign Theatre). Sorry, "old memory".

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
873 Posts
That would probably be "Stevens & Pruitt" on KLOL/101. Long gone, including Pruitt running a gun store(s), for a number of years, which finially "bellied up". Stevens died. Pruitt is dead now. I think that spot on the dial (101.1) is a Tejano station now. They were a "Texas version" of Howard Stern.
Thank you for posting that. I worked in north Jersey 1988-89 and disliked Stern's slimy back alley kind of shock jockery. I kind of liked those guys in Houston, though.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'd googled, to insure I got the DJ's name correct, but didn't "DO" "do diligence" with respect to the "after show" (Firesign Theatre). Sorry, "old memory".
No worries. In fact, I typo'd their name, which you spelled correctly: It's "Theatre" not "Theater."

Reactions: Pete63

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts
@Poorly, I didn't care for Stevens (he seemed to be the REAL pervert), but liked Jim Pruitt, as he was a "Viet Nam combat vet", and a Class III weapons dealer. I only bought one gun at his shop, but still own it. They used to do a skit every mourning, about 7:30 (?), called "Uncle Waldo", which myself & "work comrades" never missed.

Reactions: Poorly

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
A couple of old favorites from when I was a kid in SW Missouri. KGBX carried the St. Louis Cardinal baseball games, which were broadcast from KMOX in St. Louis. Jack Back and Mike Shannon called those games. "It's going, going, GONE!" Today, KGBX is a contemporary rock station, whatever that is.

KWTO-FM Rock 99 was another favorite. It was THE Radio station for Rock and Roll. Today I understand it's ESPN radio - 24 hour sports talk radio.

Your favorite radio stations/announcers from long ago?
WPGC when I lived in Maryland in my youth. I remember the Batman contests that they had along with the rock music back in the 60's. Some of the DJ's had names like "Gentleman Jim", etc.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
No I don't. I use to have their "albums" on cassette tape, but don't have any idea where they have went to. They were good for a lot of ribald humor that gave me lots of laughs. "Just how big a boy are you?"
I used to have some of their CD's and still probably have a couple stashed away somewhere. A quick google search revealed that the morning show ended in 2012 and sadly, Phil Stone passed away shortly after. Several of my coworkers and I had a lot of laughs to those pranks!

·
Registered
34,057 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
An interesting note: WHFS was the first station in DC to broadcast in FM Stereo. Its call letters stood for "Washington's High-Fidelity Station." For a while, the student station at Georgetown University was in the same league, broadcasting as WGTB at 90.1.
I listened the night that 102.3 closed down, and before the move to 99.1. It brought a tear to my eye. Weasel was running the show that night, and related a parable that featured "Wanda and Harry's Fish & Salad". I wish I had the foresight to record that night.

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts
What was the one in Del Rio,TX where you could get an autographed picture of Jesus?
That was XERA, and they were actually across the river in Acuna.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts