Defensive Carry banner

Have you ever attended a formal training school aside from whatever you took for your CCW permit?

• Yes

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • GunSite

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Thunder Ranch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sig Sauer Academy

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Vickers Tactical

• Lethal Force Institute

• Other (list in response)

Votes: 7 18.4%
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
The OP should have allowed multiple choices to be selected. I have attended too many weapons' training courses to list here, and am signed-up for another course in August.

·
Registered
568 Posts
In addition to the training that I received in the military and during my LEO days, I have trained with lots of different instructors and at different schools over the last 35 years. My wife has too.

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
I was fortunate to have grown up in a long line of hunters/outdoorsmen, many who served, they all enjoyed firearms and shooting. No one else in my family today is a firearm owner, I’m the last one that has any interest. I find that odd, as common as gun ownership was in our line, it is not continuing.

I was taken afield once I could walk; squirrel, dove, turkey, and deer, I vividly recall absolutely frigid deer blinds. I never fell in love with hunting, but I did shooting. I was taught safety and fundamentals at a young age and have always sought to learn from anyone I came across. Lots of prior service, LEO’s, and target shooters assisted in my education.

I felt I should follow up from the original thread question, to give just due.(y)

·
Super Moderator
20,025 Posts
LFI-1 with Ayoob, several local trainings in CT and AZ, 3 trainings with Pat Rogers (EAG Tactical), Threat-Focused Revolver with Grant Cunningham, and Threat Focused Quick Kill with Brownie.

·
Premium Member
5,449 Posts
There was no "training" on how to shoot to get my carry permit. We were already expected to meet a certain proficiency level for the live fire with no instruction on how to do so. And unsurprisingly, there were people in the class who had never shot a pistol before, including the one they were trying to qualify with.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Don't forget the practice after the instruction. Used to shoot wasps with my 22 pellet pistol as a kid in my Dads shop, shot dragon flies, shot beer bottles thru the spout.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
Informal training: Shooting with dad and my uncle since I was nine

Formal training:
  • Initial qualification: USAF M-8 (.38 revolver)
  • Both initial qualification and refresher x 9: USAF M9 (Beretta 9mm)
  • Initial qualification: USAF M16A2
Most states accepted military firearms training for CC permit.

The only state that wouldn't was North Carolina, so I decided to keep the exhorbitent amount they were charging in my own pockets, instead.

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The OP should have allowed multiple choices to be selected. I have attended too many weapons' training courses to list here, and am signed-up for another course in August.
Point noted for future reference. Sorry about that.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
This poll brings-up a larger issue: That being wayyyy too few obtain even one outside instructional class w/ their chosen CCW. These people know so little about their firearms, that they don't know what they don't know. I feel sorry for them.

·
Registered
43,595 Posts
This poll brings-up a larger issue: That being wayyyy too few obtain even one outside instructional class w/ their chosen CCW. These people know so little about their firearms, that they don't know what they don't know. I feel sorry for them.
Yet it's their right.

Reactions: retired deputy

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
no.........

i train/practice as i always have.....
move/shoot/cover/barricade/reload.....drill on the basics to keep a decent foundation. Repetition, repetition, repetition...very basic which requires less thinking and more reacting.

besides....both time and disposable income nowadays are in short supply to be spending on getting schooled in someone else's thoughts and tactics......i would rather buy more reloading components....so i can keep on doing the basics....

if i did go to school, I would probably cherry-pick what seems easy and super simple to keep with the kiss principle.....and discard the rest at this stage of my life.....

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Virtually all my handgun training has been informal. All from my Dad, who was USAF Security Forces, from 58-63. Rifle and shotgun from him also. He grew up on a farm in a hunting family, and taught me quite a bit. All the military really taught me on shooting was some of the finer points on marksmanship, and the basics of a 1911, M-16, and M-60.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts