Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some tractor parts today, I ran across this.
How many recognize it and have any of you used one?

IMG_20200423_215950.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Lifting eye ?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Saw one of those in a police station south of the border once. I counted the holes in it and got too scared to ask what it was for. Suspect it wasn't just an old tool though.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't really place it, but I think it has something to do with ropes!
Sorry for the long wait. Has been one of those weeks.

Yep!
I don't know the technical name, but it is used with rope when climbing.
My Grandpa was missing a couple fingers and part of his thumb on his right hand. He had a hard time tying knots. He had a number of these around the farm. There were two very large ones in the hayloft to handle the large ropes on the hay slings.

Brought back good memories. Any of you run across something ordinary that brought back memories?

·
Registered
33,909 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,113 Posts
Speaking of old tools I was at a gun show a while back (pre corona panic) and a vendor had a tool similar similar to this on his table with a sign "Do you know what this is?". told him I not onle knew what it was but had used one many times making tobacco sticks.

froe.jpg

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
The rope tool is called a Figure 8. instead of tying a knot in a long rope you pull a loop through the biggest hole, and loop it over the cast piece. it creates a place to tie off that wont slip down the rope. and when its time to untie, it just slips off. I have seen them most used when picketing horses. they would tie a rope between two trees to tie horses to. The figure 8 meant you did not need a knot in your rope every couple feet. DR

Heres a newer version

https://www.horseloverz.com/horse-equipment/hobbles-picket-lines/weaver-knot-eliminator

1 - 13 of 13 Posts