Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just read the post and watched the video about the 92 year old who thwarted a robber with her faith. A similar thing happened to my grandma.

A man in his 40's stopped by my grandma one day when she was in her yard gardening...he "asked" for money and she says was very persistant. Grandma Marge says she was never scared as God was with her...she says she talked about Jesus to him and then asked for his # so her grandson could call about a possible job (that would be me). I interviewed him and he just seemed a bit "off", I have dealt with a lot of unsavery charecters and he had that vibe...so no job.

2 months later I read of this guy killing an old lady (across the street from grandma), putting her in the trunk, driving to town in her car and then going back to her house. Another neighbor was suspicious because her car was home but no answer at the door and she called the police. 911 got a tape of this guy confessing to the murder and in the background you can hear the police entering the house (he was in the basement). He got scared when the police came in and though confessing was the good thing to do.

Well, grandma moved within a few months and that guy is sitting in jail. I share only because I believe that we need to trust our senses and when something/someone does not seem right...exit stage right!

I can't for the life of me remember his name, but this happened in west Michigan about 5 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Glad your spidey sense is alive and well.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Those little "feelings" we get, sometimes, aren't always right. But they are certainly indicators that the body's underlying warning mechanism has put two-and-two together in a way that our conscious minds have not. It might only be that the situation is related in a strange way to past experiences. It might well be true danger signals, though.

Good reminder about how important it can be to not simply brush aside such feelings. Listening to one's "primitive" warning system has saved folks countless times. It will continue to do so.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
I hope that I never become an 'elderly' vicitm...roaming preadators look for elderly victims.
I prefer to be the one that they misjudge.:yup:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm glad she's ok. Looks like you and her made a wise choice on staying away from this guy.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I just read another story about a gal at a check cashing place praying with the would be robber.

I'm all about faith and winning souls for Jesus but I gotta say, praying with a man holding a gun on me just isn't what I believe I would do! :rolleyes:

I guess the balance is an individual thing. Listen to that little voice! Glad your grandma is okay! :wink:

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
To each his own. I believe that Jesus and the angels are there to welcome me home, but their intervention in earthly matters is not guaranteed.

·
Banned
5,253 Posts
Those little "feelings" we get, sometimes, aren't always right. But they are certainly indicators that the body's underlying warning mechanism has put two-and-two together in a way that our conscious minds have not. It might only be that the situation is related in a strange way to past experiences. It might well be true danger signals, though.

Good reminder about how important it can be to not simply brush aside such feelings. Listening to one's "primitive" warning system has saved folks countless times. It will continue to do so.
To "piggyback" on this, sometimes we can't articulate why we feel like we do, and have no way to express it. We just know something is wrong.

That's not enough for a court of law, but I do believe that the "spidey sense" is what keeps us alive at times, if we are smart enough to listen to it. Maybe all it takes is taking note of that sense and changing one's physical position when dealing with a subject that keeps an event from materializing.

My Daddy told me a long time ago to, "listen to your gut." I have found that to be good advice. Of course some of us have a more "sensitive" gut than others.

Biker

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a very strong Christian faith and I do believe I should save souls. I also believe that my faith with strangers is much more secure with 5 Hornady 125gr XTPs in my 642 in my pocket while preaching to a wayward soul!
We all know the stories of people talking BGs out of their misdeeds with faith. That is we know the ones that worked. We don't know about the ones that didn't work as the evangelist is dead.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have a very strong Christian faith and I do believe I should save souls. I also believe that my faith with strangers is much more secure with 5 Hornady 125gr XTPs in my 642 in my pocket while preaching to a wayward soul!
We all know the stories of people talking BGs out of their misdeeds with faith. That is we know the ones that worked. We don't know about the ones that didn't work as the evangelist is dead.
yeah last time i check Christ told his followers to carry swords if they carried their wallets:hand10:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I agree. Rabbi Yeshua ben Miriam, the Nazarene, taught tolerance and forgiveness but he did not teach that you have to lay down and die for a criminal.

I see no conflict in being an armed Christian.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope that I never become an 'elderly' vicitm...roaming preadators look for elderly victims.
I prefer to be the one that they misjudge.:yup:
This was no roaming predator! He knew his victom and knew her very well. She had been helping him in various ways for months. He knew her and that is what is such a grim reminder.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Not to be nit-picky, but man doesn't "save souls". We do the introductions and God does the soul saving.

But I knew what you meant. :wave:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to be nit-picky, but man doesn't "save souls". We do the introductions and God does the soul saving.

But I knew what you meant. :wave:
DIDO...

I am totally depraived and capable of no good without Christ my savior. It is only though the work of the Holy Spirit that others can see salvation...but it is simple...believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved!

I know that this is not a forum for spiritual discussion...but I find it relevant to the topic at hand. I can witness to a "stranger", I can NOT change them, if the good Lord has not choosen them and they choose to attempt harm on others...I will act to stop them from harming others.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Like many people I'm a religious person. However, I do recognize that in order for some people to be "saved" they need to have a face to face talk with their creator.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Old and valid saying, " G-d helps those who help themselves." Praying without some hard work won't get you anywhere. Regarding SD situations, pray if you will, but help yourself first with some sort of preparedness; e.g., pepper, knife, handgun, and the requisite training and learning to go with them.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Old and valid saying, " G-d helps those who help themselves." Praying without some hard work won't get you anywhere. Regarding SD situations, pray if you will, but help yourself first with some sort of preparedness; e.g., pepper, knife, handgun, and the requisite training and learning to go with them.
In other words, seeing your duty to prepare and defend, but refusing it, is like pssing on G-d and the gift of life. The only way to savor the gift, when wolves attempt to tear it to pieces, is to protect it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
a little off topic...
"God helps those who help themselves,"
Algernon Sidney, Discourses Concerning Government (1698)

Sidney actually was a large influence on our founding fathers and on American political thought. He was also executed for his thoughts in Discourses Concerning Government.

another quote of his is in Discourses Concerning Government (1698), "That which is not just, is not Law; and that which is not Law, ought not to be obeyed."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts