Defensive Carry banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Respecting other people's property is a thing of the past. We had a kid that use to cut across our lawn on his bike. I asked him to stop, but he continued. I put up a fence and he came back that night and set it on fire.

Another kid use to deliver papers and would cut across my lawn and break off the sprinkler heads. I asked him to stop and he wouldn't. I talked to his father and he refused to do anything about it.

We moved and the neighbor's son-in-law would drive his car across my lawn to take a shortcut to their house. I parked my truck in his way one day and he vandalized it.

If someone had complained to my parents when I was a kid I would have gotten my butt whipped.
Yep, Its amazing that people thing they have a right to be on your property. We have had a big problem at the farm in Georgia where people don't understand they are not welcome on our property. People think because they were raised in the area they have rights to fish or hunt on any ones property or just trespass.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
When I was alot younger I had a run in once with a car load of teens near Philadelphia. They were hanging out the windows swearing at me in traffic totally unprovoked. I was heading to the mall, and ...so were they. I parked went in, they watched and did the same.Said no more to me. I went to leave and in my car noticed a tube of super glue I used to repair a knob. I applied some to each of their door locks, went back to my car. Sat for about 30 minutes, they came out. Could NOT get in their car and were throwing a FIT. I drove by with a big smile said "Hows it going?"and one guy says "Thats that guy!". I regretted doing that later because I thought they'd take it out on some innocent person. Very stupid on my part. But that day karma got a nudge...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yep, Its amazing that people thing they have a right to be on your property. We have had a big problem at the farm in Georgia where people don't understand they are not welcome on our property. People think because they were raised in the area they have rights to fish or hunt on any ones property or just trespass.
The Devil gets many of us by the tail from time to time in the 'heat of the moment'.

·
Registered
326 Posts
When I was alot younger I had a run in once with a car load of teens near Philadelphia. They were hanging out the windows swearing at me in traffic totally unprovoked. I was heading to the mall, and ...so were they. I parked went in, they watched and did the same.Said no more to me. I went to leave and in my car noticed a tube of super glue I used to repair a knob. I applied some to each of their door locks, went back to my car. Sat for about 30 minutes, they came out. Could NOT get in their car and were throwing a FIT. I drove by with a big smile said "Hows it going?"and one guy says "Thats that guy!". I regretted doing that later because I thought they'd take it out on some innocent person. Very stupid on my part. But that day karma got a nudge...
The Devil gets many of us by the tail from time to time in'the heat of the moment'.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
There's a pervasive mentality encouraged by social media and youtube that says that any slight, whether real or perceived, must be answered with some sort of nasty behavior. It goes along with the "prank" mentality as well.

A good example was recently a "cheaters get what's coming to them top 10" video that popped up. In this case it was the acts of vandalism and assaults carried out by boyfriends or girlfriends for acts of dating infidelity. Never mind my opinion that if you don't have a ring and a license then it's not cheating :p

Anyway one comment stated that the person knew one of the so-called cheaters and the girlfriend and her male accomplices had been sentenced to community service and had to pay for the damage inflicted on the guys car. This provoked pure outrage and hatred that such an injustice may have occurred.

So, with these modern sorts about the only thing that will get respect would be to dig a tiger trap in your yard and post the hilarious video on youtube when your idiot neighbor falls in and has to beg you to let them out. For the record I've not done that yet as my problem is idiots riding horses through the yard and I really don't want to kill a horse

·
Registered
417 Posts
About 30 years ago my cousin had trouble with the new neighbors teenage son driving his car across the lawn.
Talking to the kid made it worse. He did a couple cookies in the lawn. Talked to dad and he called the cops about being harassed.
My cousin decided to do some creative landscaping and spent all week preparing his side yard for a rock garden. He waited for the kid to leave on Friday night, then he called me to bring the rock for his new rock garden. The center piece was a red granite rock weighing in around 1800lbs.
The kid came home around 2a.m., cut across the front yard and around the side of the house. My cousin woke up to the crash. Trans Am's don't do well against hard objects.
Kid was charged with reckless driving, trespassing, and criminal damage to property. The icing on the cake was the kids State Farm insurance refused to pay for anything due to the criminal actions.

Thankfully that situation ended there. Could imagine how that would go today with the lack of respect many people have for everyone but themselves.
Ha! gives me a warm fuzzy. Reminds me a story that happened to a friend. Lives on a corner lot and some kid would always cut through his yard. Planted some bushes and put steel rods in the ground behind them. Problem solved.

·
Banned
429 Posts
Ha! gives me a warm fuzzy. Reminds me a story that happened to a friend. Lives on a corner lot and some kid would always cut through his yard. Planted some bushes and put steel rods in the ground behind them. Problem solved.
Food way to find yourself in a lawsuit these days.
Intentionally place something in a way to cause harm to others. Not good idea.

I Live For Myself and I Answer to No One.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Thanks for the update. I do find it interesting that the mother of the 10-year-old had the following to say in the article.

"For Moses future changes in the neighborhood may come too late. After the shootings she's taking new measures to keep her kids safe.

"I do plan on moving because a lot has been going on since I moved here, to the point where I'm not comfortable with my kids being in this neighborhood," she said."

Maybe I don't understand the situation, but as I read it her 10-year-old son was one of the kids trespassing and refused to leave when the old man came out and asked him to get off his lawn. If she wants her child to be safe she might try teaching him a little respect for others and their property. Until she does that I don't think her kids are going to be safe anywhere.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
My dad had a problem with some kids in a farm truck running over his mailbox at night. He put up a new one and they ran it over. The third one he put up was different. He buried a well casing in concrete and filled the casing with concrete. That night he heard a big crash in front of the house and the next morning he followed the trail of oil and coolant down the road to the neighbor's house.

Nowadays that would get you arrested and sued.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the update. I do find it interesting that the mother of the 10-year-old had the following to say in the article.

"For Moses future changes in the neighborhood may come too late. After the shootings she's taking new measures to keep her kids safe.

"I do plan on moving because a lot has been going on since I moved here, to the point where I'm not comfortable with my kids being in this neighborhood," she said."

Maybe I don't understand the situation, but as I read it her 10-year-old son was one of the kids trespassing and refused to leave when the old man came out and asked him to get off his lawn. If she wants her child to be safe she might try teaching him a little respect for others and their property. Until she does that I don't think her kids are going to be safe anywhere.
We should all have a cookout in her front yard before she moves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

I believe you are correct. I don't understand her way of thinking either. This is a good teaching moment for our kids. I have went over with them before about respecting other peoples stuff and not being a horses rear and this should be a good example for them to look at.

·
Registered
844 Posts
That's not good for me to hear. GA is one of the places that the wife and I are considering!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts