Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was originally impressed with this light, with a few minor complaints. I'll add a link to the original thread when I get to a computer. Now to the update;

I've been carrying this light for a few months now, used as a back up in a work situation. Not to be dramatic, but my work is often life or death situations, I need my stuff to work correctly. I liked the olight enough to use it as a primary light in some situations, mostly because I didn't have to have a over powered torch when all I needed was a modest amount of light.

Today, while on a training "mission" in a enormous dark warehouse, I noticed my thigh burning like the devil was attached to it. I reach down and pull out the s30r, which was on. I thought I just hit the button accidentally, no big deal. I go to turn it off, no dice. Switch is done. It scrolls through the brightness levels, but won't turn off. I had to unscrew the cap to turn it off.

So just a few minutes ago, I call customer service. Barely speak English guy answers. All he can do is to tell me to send them an email. Great... Olight in the trash heap category. I'll update of and when they make good.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Good thing that happened in a drill situation, and not where it could have had serious consequences.....

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I know the wattage is low for light but I never have a problem and love streamlight flash lights. With there LEDs now I get almost a full day out of it

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you return it to the store where purchased?
I bought it from olight through Amazon; I have to jump through their hoops which I just started that process tonight.

I'm also one that once a piece of gear fails me, I rarely will trust that piece again. Especially if I don't understand or can't explain why or what failed. I typically buy premium stuff and expect premium quality. I rolled the dice with Olight.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I bought it from olight through Amazon; I have to jump through their hoops which I just started that process tonight.

I'm also one that once a piece of gear fails me, I rarely will trust that piece again. Especially if I don't understand or can't explain why or what failed. I typically buy premium stuff and expect premium quality. I rolled the dice with Olight.
I wouldn't recommend carrying it, but it could be a backup light to a backup light. Or a gift to a family member or kid.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Not to be dramatic, but my work is often life or death situations
You must be black and make your living, by driving.:image035:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sixto, glad it failed on you during an exercise and not when your life depended on it. The failure sucks, but the timing is fortunate.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune, SIXTO, and forgive me while I have a chuckle at your expense. At least your pants didn't catch on fire!

I've had a case or two of the "hot pants" myself but back in the old days with incandescent xenon bulbs. I like the modern LEDs a lot better.

Battery Junction is my goto place for flashlights. I've never had to return anything but they seem to be easy to deal with.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yeah, it's LED or bust these days. Solid state, no floppy filament to go down on ya. Streamlight is pretty nice for a reasonable piece, and their battery circuitry is nice as it won't deep discharge which tends to make alkalines leak. My single AAA that's my EDC pocket carry the other day was going out, and when I checked the battery, it was just right at 0.9 volts, but still giving appreciable light up until shutoff. I beat the hell out of them, drop them, all that and they keep coming back.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
At the risk of sounding rigid or snobbish, when it comes to a primary carry light if it doesn't say Elzetta or Malkoff on the side it ain't going in my pocket. I might make an exception for Surefire and Inforce on a weapon.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still no reply from Olight

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
^^Not a good sign!!

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Recieved the RMA, about to take their 5 year warranty for a test drive

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the light back a few days ago. Olight says there is nothing wrong with it and works as it should... Interesting thing is that it didn't when I shipped it off but it does now. Who knows what happened.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Got the light back a few days ago. Olight says there is nothing wrong with it and works as it should... Interesting thing is that it didn't when I shipped it off but it does now. Who knows what happened.
That is weird.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
The UPS man did you a favor, as he does light repair on the side! It could happen.
:danceban:

Reactions: atctimmy and rocky

·
Super Moderator
24,665 Posts
I got the same one, and have had no problems (yet), but mine is casual use, not for beating bad guys with it. :lolp:

I also got my son a SR30R II when Olight sent me a $25 Coupon. He's not given me any feedback yet.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts