Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hadn't seen this one posted yet. Here's the article

Vietnam shooter defies ammunition shortage to strike gold at Rio

If you've been on the fence about doing dry fire, just do it already!

It's free! There's no ammo costs or range fees! You can see substantial improvement from just 10 minutes a day. Heck this guy won a gold medal doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Ok, I'm not familiar with what "bullets" these air guns fire but aren't they just BB's or pellets? I can't imagine them shooting a cartridge.

Congrats to him on his victory.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Ummm . . . "nag changes"? :image035:
I thought a 'nag change' had to do with getting re-married. I don't have the faintest idea of what it has to do with dry-firing. :smile:

Seriously though, good on the contestant for being able to overcome deficiencies in the system and win a Gold. Maybe the article didn't translate very well to English because there are some things I didn't quite grasp and some questions that I would like to ask. Such as, if he is competing in 10m air pistol, why is bullet availability an issue? Couldn't they build a pellet trap so they can re-use ammo? Maybe he competes in other rimfire or centerfire events?

·
Registered
461 Posts
This ranges matches are usually shot with 4.5 mm pellets/177. Can't really understand cost being a problem even for Viet-Nam. Your only talking $10-$15 per 500 :confused:
As to re-use, match pellets are lead and at times deform on thick paper. JMO

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
As to re-use, match pellets are lead and at times deform on thick paper. JMO
But I'd think that a country that could make a Bouncing Betty out of a grenade, some bamboo and a coconut shell would be able to figure out how to re-form a stupid little lead pellet

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
If pellets are too scarce, I suppose it's too much to ask for infrared signals and electronic targets.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Its so hard to hear about the conditions other countries have to deal with. I'm glad our borders are open to all.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
They use a .177 "match" (wad cutter) pellets. Taking a look around, I'm seeing them available for less than $15 for a tin of 500. I'm guessing Vietnam's shooters don't get any assistance from their government for training and the shooters can't get them either due to high shipping costs or import restrictions.

FWIW: I don't think reforming used pellets or an infrared system would be a good idea. We are talking about precision shooting - not center mass. If he was to of used imprecise pellets his shots would not be true and he would have spent time continually correcting. And infrared targets would be precise to where the laser was hitting and would not be a good analog to a pellet. But, with all targets at 10 yards, it might be possible to accurately zero the laser to where the pellet would strike. But, if he can't even get a tin of 500 pellets, I'm betting an infrared system is out of the question.

·
Registered
323 Posts
and how many millions of US dollars are spent for live ammo each year for there army to practice with?
and that is just for 5.56 ammo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts