• 15 (I have things to do)

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • 20 (I put some effort into it)

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • 25 (I give her/him a good bathing)

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • 30+ ( Anything less is unacceptable)

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I have a Glock, it doesn't need cleaning!

Votes: 2 2.9%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Depends.

Handguns - My Ruger MK III's take the longest, about 30-40 minutes. Lot's of angles and holes and the dirty .22. But I'm usually relaxing when I'm doing it.

Revolvers - about 15, except for my model 63, which is a .22, and that probably takes about 25 (.22's are double dirty in a revolver).

My Semi's - CZ, Hi-Power, Sig P229 - prolly about 25 minutes.

Rifles - Bolts - about 15.

Semi's - about 30

Levers - about 30

I've gotten lazy, and I have about five or six to clean. I mean to clean after every range trip. But when family comes to visit, I usually take a Bag o' guns to the range, and then I have a bunch of cleaning to do...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still haven't cleaned my 870 from it's last range visit over a month ago, no worries I have a Mossberg 500 pulling HD Artillery duty right now.

Just been lazy about it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
A good cleaning and FrogLube takes about an hour, but I assembly line it, so I can do 4 in about 90 minutes.

Once that is done, subsequent cleaning can be done in just a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I checked real quick wipe down. Experience has taught me that certain guns require attention only to certain areas to function properly and seldom need even a field strip to maintain.

I am comfortable shooting my Colts or Glocks at the range and only clean the feed ramp, chamber, and put a drop of oil on the slide rails and barrel hood for the Colts, and only the barrel hood for the Glocks.

Work the action a few times to work the lube thru,load'em up and am ready to rock and roll.
The Colts go about 200 rounds this way, and the Glocks more.

Reactions: USM1976

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I had another police officer tell me one time she was told it should take an hour plus to clean her Colt revolver...yeah, it was that long ago...I responded by saying if it takes someone that long to clean a handgun well, they've missed doing something else.

I've NEVER had a handgun malfunction...guess I'm blessed...I clean each within 30 minutes...and it's ready to go. The barrel inside and out, ramp, brush solvent to get rid of lead froame and slide, wipe and air pressure dry, oil, put it together and load.

Oh, sorry, I did hve a gun that gave me extreme trouble even with ball ammunitoon...AMT back-up 380 back in teh early '80s...

·
Registered
301 Posts
My CZ P-01 gets cleaned 20-30 minutes after a range trip regardless of how many rounds fired. I also field strip , wipe down with a toothbrush, with a toothbrush and relube once a week.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
I didn't vote because the minutes and explanation don't match up. 10 minutes is a quick wipe down? What the heck are you wiping? I can do revolvers 5-7 min. An auto loader, 15 min is a thorough field strip cleaning. Over 30 min would be a complete disassembly.

·
Super Moderator
20,257 Posts
Same here. Hey, I like my guns, but I don't view cleaning them as a religious experience. When they need it, they're broken down, appropriately wiped/swabbed/brushed/scrubbed, then reassembled and lubed. I think the Garand takes me more than half an hour (simply because I haven't stripped and reassembled it enough times to know it by heart), and the 336 is in the 30-min range if I skip the bore snake and opt to take the lever off and pull the bolt out.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
I put 20 minutes on each gun that I fired that day at the range, but at times I spend an entire afternoon/evening cleaning everything in the safe.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I have always been big on taking good care of my guns, regardless of the impact on their functioning in the immediate. The main reason is that, let's face facts, guns are expensive. Why not take good care of things that I have spent a lot of money on?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
After being in the Army for MANY YEARS and having to go through many inspections from the armorer(s), I have grown accustom to "Mil-Spec" cleanings. So I break out the Q-Tips and pipe cleaners every time I break one down.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Usually about 10 mins or less for my glocks, maybe 15 or so for some of the others and ya a rifle or shotgun might push 20-30 for a good detail cleaning. Not the biggest fan of cleaning so I like to knock it out as quick as possible, and I'm not that anal at all - I don't feel like I have to clean after every range trip, sometimes I'll wait till I have more than one to clean.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
22,634 Posts
I have been cleaning guns for over fifty years including twenty-two in the military. My wife and I shot about seven hundred rounds through seven of our handguns at the gun club on Monday. On Tuesday, I spent about two hours cleaning all seven. It usually takes me about fifteen minutes for a revolver and twenty minutes for a pistol.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Depends on the gun.

It usually takes me around 20 minutes to strip a semi, clean it, and reassemble it.

On my revolvers, it takes me a lot longer. I'm usually shooting .38s in a .357, and I rarely shoot less than 100 rounds per trip, so the chambers take some work... I'd say it's more like 45 minutes to clean a 6 or 7 round revolver.

I like my guns really clean though, so I probably spend more time than what's really necessary.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.