Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out of town for my youngest daughters twelfth birthday so I promised her that we would go out together and shop for a special present from just me when I got back. So I'm getting ready this morning and I slip my LCP .380 in my pocket and I started to think....I'm going to the mall with my most precious belonging, I need to carry something more substantial. So I grabbed my 9mm, extra mag and my Spyderco. It sucks that we have to think that way but I'm thankful we are able to. Thanks to all of my fellow vets that served and has help to protect our rights!

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I'm a strong believer in carrying the most weapon you can safely get away with - when you can shoot it accurately and its reliable.

·
Registered
34,640 Posts
Are mall thugs more bullet resistant than convenience store thugs? Personally, I would be confident in a firearm/caliber regardless of destination or not carry it--even though I do carry different makes and calibers on any given day. Destination wise, I may carry extra ammo though.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Good judgement exercised.

Reactions: druryj

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mall thugs aren't more resilient, thugs are thugs. With me, the rationale behind carrying a "more substantial" weapon, as the OP put it, would be based on the different type of threat, he may be faced with, at a mall, vs a convenience store. A higher concentration of people, with many malls declaring themselves as weapon free zones, either openly or within their "Code of Conduct", means if you were to tailor your load out to your destination, that it would be justifiable to up your caliber and/or round count to mitigate the increase in probability, that a larger, better armed attack could take place.
We don't often hear about mass shootings at convenience stores, because they aren't high occupancy/profile targets. If he were to face a threat at a convenience store, it would likely be one or two "thugs" looking to score some quick cash, smokes, and liquor; as opposed to an attack at a mall or other high profile area, where the objective is body count.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I was out of town for my youngest daughters twelfth birthday so I promised her that we would go out together and shop for a special present from just me when I got back. So I'm getting ready this morning and I slip my LCP .380 in my pocket and I started to think....I'm going to the mall with my most precious belonging, I need to carry something more substantial. So I grabbed my 9mm, extra mag and my Spyderco. It sucks that we have to think that way but I'm thankful we are able to. Thanks to all of my fellow vets that served and has help to protect our rights!
Reality is often quite uncomfortable, which is why we see such a high concentration of two-legged sheep who are in such denial about the potential dangers that are out there. The consistent theme after a tragic criminal-driven event are the comments that the sheep repeat "We never thought that could happen HERE."

If we cherish the right to keep and bear arms for the safety of our loved ones, we'd better encourage all our like-minded friends to VOTE. We can look at the tragic example of the-once-great state of Virginia and what their Governor is planning to do now that they have a Democratic super-majority.

·
Banned
705 Posts
Are mall thugs more bullet resistant than convenience store thugs? Personally, I would be confident in a firearm/caliber regardless of destination or not carry it--even though I do carry different makes and calibers on any given day. Destination wise, I may carry extra ammo though.
If I thought I had to carry extra ammunition as a specific prerequisite of going anywhere I wouldn't go there

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Gotta be honest, I simply do not get this mindset.

But, you do you.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mall thugs aren't more resilient, thugs are thugs. With me, the rationale behind carrying a "more substantial" weapon, as the OP put it, would be based on the different type of threat, he may be faced with, at a mall, vs a convenience store. A higher concentration of people, with many malls declaring themselves as weapon free zones, either openly or within their "Code of Conduct", means if you were to tailor your load out to your destination, that it would be justifiable to up your caliber and/or round count to mitigate the increase in probability, that a larger, better armed attack could take place.
We don't often hear about mass shootings at convenience stores, because they aren't high occupancy/profile targets. If he were to face a threat at a convenience store, it would likely be one or two "thugs" looking to score some quick cash, smokes, and liquor; as opposed to an attack at a mall or other high profile area, where the objective is body count.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Thank you for your response. You said it better than I could.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
I also adjust caliber based on risk. I don't have to do it much because I don't typically go to an area that isn't low risk (based on areas of town known to be medium to high risk crime areas). As for malls, they are posted where I live. I honestly can't say how many years it has been since I entered ANY mall. If I HAD to guess, I'd say it's been 15+ years.

·
Registered
34,640 Posts
If I thought I had to carry extra ammunition as a specific prerequisite of going anywhere I wouldn't go there
I am a minimalist, carrying only the minimum. My exception is the Indian country just north of me, which I avoid as much as possible. Then I will always carry an extra mag. There it is unlikely you'll encounter the lone brave looking to score, it will be the entire hunting party.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Could you clarify your statement please ?
It's similar to yours; that is, if I feel that is necessary to up-gun just to go someplace...I’m rethinking the necessity of going there.

I'd really rethink it if I was bringing my children there.

Add in that the mall is probably one of the lower-percentage locations of a violent encounter...I just plain don’t get the mindset.

More of a response to the OP...hence the ‘you do you”. I’m not saying they shouldn’t, or that I think it's wrong...it's that the logic escapes me, is all.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I dont really recall too many mall shootings but whatever works for you is all you should consider.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's similar to yours; that is, if I feel that is necessary to up-gun just to go someplace...I’m rethinking the necessity of going there.

I'd really rethink it if I was bringing my children there.

Add in that the mall is probably one of the lower-percentage locations of a violent encounter...I just plain don’t get the mindset.

More of a response to the OP...hence the ‘you do you”. I’m not saying they shouldn’t, or that I think it's wrong...it's that the logic escapes me, is all.
If you don't understand carrying a different weapon for different situations, then all you need is a 22 single shot. Is that the only weapon you have? You can't come on here and share a story without some Keyboard Cowboy telling you that what you're doing doesn't make any sense and isn't logical. That's why I don't come around here much anymore. From now on, I'm going to end every post with "Now go ahead and say something stupid." Or maybe that needs to be in my signature line?

Reactions: since9

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Most malls in the area have gun buster signs.
Therefore it has been years since I have been to one
Same here and the last time I lowered my standards enough to enter a mall was a few years ago when I was looking for a quality set of kitchen knives. I went to a cutlery store in a mall in Raleigh that is notoriously anti-gun, after finding some I liked I came back home and ordered them online. Not only did I not spend any money there I also saved a couple hundred dollars.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts