Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 173 Posts

·
Banned
705 Posts
If you don't understand carrying a different weapon for different situations, then all you need is a 22 single shot. Is that the only weapon you have? You can't come on here and share a story without some Keyboard Cowboy telling you that what you're doing doesn't make any sense and isn't logical. That's why I don't come around here much anymore. From now on, I'm going to end every post with "Now go ahead and say something stupid." Or maybe that needs to be in my signature line?
But this wasn't about different guns for different situations, you stated that you upgraded your armament and added an extra magazine and a knife based on your perception of risk. What Cuda66 (and I) said was if he has to up arm to go somewhere he doesn't go. If a Little Crappy Pistol .380 isn't enough to protect your daughter it's not enough to protect you.

I've always made it a practice to avoid unnecessary risks. I can't remember the last time I went to a Mall but as someone else said I bet it's been 15 years. I actually quit shopping in convenience stores years ago more as a money saving measure than for any other reason. However, I'm also very aware that they are "watering holes" and avoid them for that reason too.

Having said all that though I don't change what I'm carrying based on any perceived threat or risk assessment. As I said earlier, if it's dicey enough to make me question what I'm carrying I don't go period.

I make my carry decisions based strictly on my concealmeant needs. If I can conceal a G19 and two reloads that's what I carry. If I can't it's a G26 and 1 reload.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
If you don't understand carrying a different weapon for different situations, then all you need is a 22 single shot. Is that the only weapon you have? You can't come on here and share a story without some Keyboard Cowboy telling you that what you're doing doesn't make any sense and isn't logical. That's why I don't come around here much anymore. From now on, I'm going to end every post with "Now go ahead and say something stupid." Or maybe that needs to be in my signature line?
You expected a chorus of “kumbaiyah”?

And I fail to see the reason for you getting your nose out of joint, here.

I didn’t say what you did was stupid.

I didn’t say you shouldn’t do it.

I just said I don’t get the logic of seeing the necessity of it.

I swear...had I realized you were one of those folks who needed their actions constantly validated, I wouldn’t have said anything. Sorry for thinking otherwise.

·
Registered
34,615 Posts
Keyboard Cowboy here.

Well since you did, I will. My point was that if you feel the need to "up-gun," then perhaps your choice of gun #1 is insignificant for personal protection. Did you lose faith in your .380 based on your intended location? Is your .380 okay for here but not there? Sounds like lack of confidence in that caliber. Why would you carry it?

If I felt your proverbial .22 caliber was significant, I might feel I need more ammo than caliber, but if the .22 is significant, then it's significant here, there, everywhere. I carry either a 9mm or .45, and where I'm going has little to do with the choice between the guns.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
We ALL play the "what if?" game, at least those of us who give more than a nano-second of thought about what we are doing/were we are going. We adjust our clothing and weaponry to changing conditions like the weather, what will not "stand out" and mark us as carrying a gun, and perceived threat assessment.

All of us calculate those things differently.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Keyboard Cowboy here.

Well since you did, I will. My point was that if you feel the need to "up-gun," then perhaps your choice of gun #1 is insignificant for personal protection. Did you lose faith in your .380 based on your intended location? Is your .380 okay for here but not there? Sounds like lack of confidence in that caliber. Why would you carry it?

If I felt your proverbial .22 caliber was significant, I might feel I need more ammo than caliber, but if the .22 is significant, then it's significant here, there, everywhere. I carry either a 9mm or .45, and where I'm going has little to do with the choice between the guns.
"...insignificant for personal protection..."? No, not really. I believe it's called "Threat assessment" there, OldVet. If I'm going to the grocery store in my little village where crime is virtually non-existent, my .380 is more than enough imo. When I had to stop for gas and bathroom at 3 a.m. at an all-night liquor/convenience store in the worst crime area of Fayetteville NC recently, I was glad to have my 9mm.
Why would I NOT?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Understand and agree with the OP thought process.

When I am by myself, I will carry a 380 or 9mm, but when I am with my family I am carrying a .45 w/extra mags.
I think of it like, when I am alone I can run my azz off and if need fire a few small bullets as retreat cover. But if my family is in harms way, I am going on the offensive, to take out the threat or to cover my family's escape.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Your probably just as likely to get shot at any 7-Eleven as you are at any mall in America. IMO.
As someone said, a mall is a more likely target for a mass shooting than is a convenience store. Distance dictates a longer barrel and higher caliber in my book, if I've got a choice to make.

·
Registered
34,615 Posts
As someone said, a mall is a more likely target for a mass shooting than is a convenience store. Distance dictates a longer barrel and higher caliber in my book, if I've got a choice to make.
Like an AR-15...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

So If you and your girlfriend/wife are at 7-Eleven getting some drinks and gas, and she says, "honey, let's go to the mall, Penney's has a bogo sale." Do you say, "ok, but I'll have to go home first and change guns." ?

·
Banned
705 Posts
The first thing that I want to reiterate is that if I feel like I need a bigger gun or more ammunition to go someplace, I don't go there period, full stop, end of discussion.

About 3 years ago I walked out my front door and right into an attempted robbery. It really didn't matter what my destination was because they caught me in the parking lot before I even made it to the car.

So regardless if I was prepared for the grocery store in my crime-free community (that still has some level of crime) or the Stop and Rob in downtown Fayetteville I had to respond with what I had on me at the time.

Based on that experience, I'm never walking out my front door without a 9 millimeter double stack ever again. (Obviously assuming I'm not going someplace where I'm prohibited by law from carrying at all. ) I don't care where I'm going and that's why I don't have different guns for different situations.

My personal opinion, take it for what it's worth, is that a.380 is a gun for people who want a magic talisman ward off evil.

Having said that, if I'm not willing to carry a particular gun everywhere then I'm not willing to carry that gun anywhere.

·
Registered
34,615 Posts
Having said that, if I'm not willing to carry a particular gun everywhere then I'm not willing to carry that gun anywhere.
And that is kind of my point. Either a carry gun is good enough to carry anywhere or it isn't good enough to carry anywhere.

Now for the "What if you encounter 12 terrorists armed with AK-47s?" Then any handgun is marginal...

·
Registered
918 Posts
...My personal opinion, take it for what it's worth, is that a.380 is a gun for people who want a magic talisman ward off evil...
...Or who have developed enough arthritis in the hands to make that "the best that I can do."

Of course, it helps to continue practicing, to remain as quick and as accurate as possible.
Quick and effective accuracy always makes the very best of whatever you've got.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I would definitely say that different events can warrant different carry...

Stopping by the mall on a Saturday afternoon to pick-up a new set of cheap glasses at "One Hour Optical" = Normal EDC platform and loadout.

Taking the family to the "Light the Lights" Christmas celebration in Downtown Denver's Civic Center Plaza, where terrorism/active shooter/normal thuggery all make a valid entry in the threat matrix = Damn skippy- I will have some "extra" goodies (Can you say 1006 with three mags?). Not going isn't an option.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Most malls in the area have gun buster signs.
Therefore it has been years since I have been to one
Well, I'll be. I have never seen a gun-buster sign at any mall or shopping center, and I go to them only because my wife likes to and I don't want her to go without me along with her, and me being armed. I've heard they have such signs, but I guess I must walk faster than I read so maybe I just missed their stoopid signs.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you don't understand carrying a different weapon for different situations...
Oh, I think we understand. However, consider the situation of taking one's self or self and family to an urban area, whether that be the mall, a gas station, restaurant, movie theater, or a park, I have one self-defense firearm which fits all circumstances I'm likely to encounter, and that's a medium-caliber pistol.

Now, if you'd like to discuss urban warfare, which I'm very highly unlikely to encounter while out and about in my own city during peacetime, particularly on a family outing with children...

Is that the only weapon you have?
Is anyone here under any obligation whatsoever from anyone to either share or reveal what they have?

You can't come on here and share a story without some Keyboard Cowboy telling you that what you're doing doesn't make any sense and isn't logical.
Well, that's true. Lots of people here like telling others what they should and should not do.

That's why I don't come around here much anymore. From now on, I'm going to end every post with "Now go ahead and say something stupid." Or maybe that needs to be in my signature line?
I hear you, luckydog. I hear you...

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Add in that the mall is probably one of the lower-percentage locations of a violent encounter...I just plain don’t get the mindset.
I would not say malls are low percentage. You may recall:
  • 2007, Westroads Mall, Omaha, NB 8 deaths
  • 2012, Clackamas Town Center, Porland OR, only 1 injured, because the shooter with an AR was stopped by a concealed carrier
  • 2014, Columbia Mall, Columbia, MD 3 deaths
  • 2016 Cascade Mall in Burlington, Wa 5 deaths
  • 2019 El Paso, TX 20 deaths

21 - 40 of 173 Posts