Defensive Carry banner

141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
back to the nicely put o.p.: i follow the first rule of gunfighters, always have a gun, and its corollary, be sure you know how to hit with it. i no longer have a family to shepherd, i stay away from large social gatherings, make few nighttime ventures, and live a happy quiet life. thankfully i can afford whatever i need. i most often ccw a naa mini 22lr and/or a 38sp snubbie loaded with wadcutters and a pachmayr grip, and even a ruger lcr 22lr or sr22, or a bond arms derringer 410/45lc while interstate driving. i’m going to try a taurus spectrum 380acp as a ccw if i’m happy after sufficient practice. i have tried other 380acp. i cannot make anything heavier work for me. more power to those of you who can make 9mm and 45acp work for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ll add my thoughts . I have a 9mm and 10mm. Originally I switched around depending on where I was going, what I was going (store or in the woods or what have you) but after regular practice I realize I shoot the 10mm considerably more accurately and more enjoyably than the 9 so I don’t alternate what I carry. I always carry the 10. Sometimes I add in the 9 as well, simply because I can. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
34,697 Posts
I’ll add my thoughts . I have a 9mm and 10mm. Originally I switched around depending on where I was going, what I was going (store or in the woods or what have you) but after regular practice I realize I shoot the 10mm considerably more accurately and more enjoyably than the 9 so I don’t alternate what I carry. I always carry the 10. Sometimes I add in the 9 as well, simply because I can. Just my two cents.
I would think a 10mm would be classified as a WMD in NY.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I always contend that a well placed shot from a .22 always beats a miss by a .45. I carry a 9mm and a .38.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I always contend that a well placed shot from a .22 always beats a miss by a .45. I carry a 9mm and a .38.
I'm not picking on you, but posting that reminds me that I see similar statements often and they always have the same premise.

Why is the larger caliber always less accurate, or the one that misses, everytime.
Not once have I seen the opposite, "a hit with a 45 is better than a miss by a 22" - never seen that posted.
Odd how the larger calibers are always predicted inaccurate whereas the small calibers hit spot on.

·
Premium Member
33,899 Posts
I'm not picking on you, but posting that reminds me that I see similar statements often and they always have the same premise.

Why is the larger caliber always less accurate, or the one that misses, everytime.
Not once have I seen the opposite, "a hit with a 45 is better than a miss by a 22" - never seen that posted.
Odd how the larger calibers are always predicted inaccurate whereas the small calibers hit spot on.

For a precision shot at distance, I'll take one of my 45s every time.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts

Explain to me exactly what factor would make you miss a shot with a .45 that you could make with a .22, All other factors being equal.

Honestly, the quoted statement is something that I call “bumper sticker logic”—that is, it looks pithy on a bumper sticker, and seems logical as long as you don’t put any actual thought into it...

·
Registered
2,329 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Explain to me exactly what factor would make you miss a shot with a .45 that you could make with a .22, All other factors being equal.

Honestly, the quoted statement is something that I call “bumper sticker logic”—that is, it looks pithy on a bumper sticker, and seems logical as long as you don’t put any actual thought into it...
In my 70+ years of shooting, I have observed many of my compatriots who "couldn't hit the side of a barn" with a .45 handgun but could be very accurate with many other handguns. I, myself, have qualified as expert on every handgun I used for qualification with the lone exception of the military 1911. At the local police shooting range, we often trade off handguns between shooters...just talking from experience. Yeah, I have put a little thought into it.

·
Premium Member
33,899 Posts
In my 70+ years of shooting, I have observed many of my compatriots who "couldn't hit the side of a barn" with a .45 handgun but could be very accurate with many other handguns. I, myself, have qualified as expert on every handgun I used for qualification with the lone exception of the military 1911. At the local police shooting range, we often trade off handguns between shooters...just talking from experience. Yeah, I have put a little thought into it.
Interesting observations.

I've noticed many of the 9mm guys confusing sheer volume of fire with accuracy and effectiveness.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would not say malls are low percentage. You may recall:
  • 2007, Westroads Mall, Omaha, NB 8 deaths
  • 2012, Clackamas Town Center, Porland OR, only 1 injured, because the shooter with an AR was stopped by a concealed carrier
  • 2014, Columbia Mall, Columbia, MD 3 deaths
  • 2016 Cascade Mall in Burlington, Wa 5 deaths
  • 2019 El Paso, TX 20 deaths
Clackamas Town Center was not only 1 injured, and he was not stopped by a concealed carrier.

Two people were killed, one injured. The shooter, Jake Roberts, killed himself. There were a handful of concealed carriers at the mall that day, none of them did anything to stop the shooting. I was one of the first officers on the scene. It didn't occur in Portland, but the county to the south, Clackamas. I was there as part of the multi-agency tac team that responded.

·
Premium Member
33,899 Posts
Clackamas Town Center was not only 1 injured, and he was not stopped by a concealed carrier.

Two people were killed, one injured. The shooter, Jake Roberts, killed himself. There were a handful of concealed carriers at the mall that day, none of them did anything to stop the shooting. I was one of the first officers on the scene. It didn't occur in Portland, but the county to the south, Clackamas. I was there as part of the multi-agency tac team that responded.
The story I heard, with which you are no doubt familiar, was that a concealed carrier drew down on the shooter but did not fire out of concern for what was beyond the target. The shooter saw this, then retreated and shot himself. You were there, so what actually happened?

·
Registered
727 Posts
The story I heard, with which you are no doubt familiar, was that a concealed carrier drew down on the shooter but did not fire out of concern for what was beyond the target. The shooter saw this, then retreated and shot himself. You were there, so what actually happened?
That is what I saw the concealed carrier tell the news also, and I believe that person thinks that's what happened on the timeline of events. Whether it actually happened or not, happened that way, or influenced the shooter somehow, I don't know. As that concealed carrier is an actual person in my community and may even be a member here, I'm not going to say more. However, Roberts was found dead nowhere near where the concealed carrier said that happened, and we know he had attempted at least one more victim after that, before he took his own life.

From my side of things, I was part of the team clearing the mall, and one of us found the body of the shooter. What I mainly witnessed was a lot of scared people.

·
Registered
34,697 Posts
I suppose we can presume the CC'er at least disrupted the Clackamas shooter's Oopa-loopa loop.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Doesn’t really answer the question though, does it.

What factor is causing that? Simply the fact it's a .45? Sorry, not buying that.

Is it he lack of fundamentals on the shooter's part? Is it other shooters telling them “it's gonna kick like a mule!" and messing with their heads?

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
32 Posts
I shoot the 10mm better because it’s a 1911 and the weight helps me be more accurate. That’s what the instructors in my last classes felt and I had come to that conclusion as well. (Not arguing just a statement of fact for me.)

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,849 Posts
I plan for the worst and hope for the best. I don't care what anyone else carries unless you are assigned to protect me or my family. Do whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

I have carried guns off and on since 1963. In all of that time I drew my gun once in 1967 as a civilian and didn't have to use it. I also have several fire extinguishers and have never had to use one in my lifetime.

I carry different calibers, different guns, and different amounts of ammo depending on where I go, what I am doing, and how long it might take me to walk home after a disaster.

I don't trust a 9mm or .38 special past bad-breath fighting distances. My routine local urban carry is a 5" 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm with a spare magazine on my belt plus a Sig P938 9mm with a spare magazine in my pocket.

Reactions: OD* and Mike1956

·
Premium Member
33,899 Posts
Carry what ever you want. You don't have to justify it to others. Sometime I vary my carry based on whim/feeling. It is only my business.
It only becomes other peoples' business when it gets posted to a discussion forum like this one. Then, it's everybody's business.

141 - 160 of 173 Posts