Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both in "nice" neighborhoods near me:

The home invasion:
http://www.cbs46.com/story/32773698/...-home-invasion These guys seem like they are one step away from graduating to full fledged murderers.

The burglary also in Johns Creek, in another "nice" neighborhood. Daughter was home from college. Dog starting barking about 8:30 AM. Woke her up; nobody at the door. She put the dog in the cage and then left the house to go out; when she came back, the home had been robbed. The house next door is vacant, and the cops think the perps were camping out in the house watching the neighborhood to determine when people come and go. The home has an alarm system and it was set; the burglars did an in-and-out and grabbed a lot of stuff in a short time. Still at large.

About six months ago there was a home invasion in my neighborhood.

Anytime, anywhere....If people roll their eyes because I carry at home, well, at least they are getting a form of exercise. Won't dissuade me.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Nice houses is where the GOOD stuff is. Fishing shacks .... not so much. Why steal a Mercedes & abandon it it just blocks down the road? Guess he couln't figure out how to drive a stick .... who knows.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I live in the Atlanta area too and my wife thinks I'm crazy just to ask her to stay aware and please don't keep the doors unlocked. There have been a few home invasions in our county recently and its one of the reasons I keep my gun on me even when I get home, I do not intend to ever be anyone's victim. Just wish I could get my wife to take it seriously.

·
Registered
887 Posts
That's why we carry, cause you never know when something bad will happen. Some people think that bad things only happen when they are away from home. They get the false sense of security because they live in what they perceive to be a nice, safe neighborhood. I live in a very quiet rural area and for myself I feel I have to be more aware and prepared because if something happens help may take way to long to get here. Everyone out here shoots on their land so if one of my few neighbors heard gunfire they would never think of calling 911.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I thought very hard about how crime would be effecting us in the rural areas outside the city. Gangs used public transportation so most of the crime has been contained in the city. Now they steal cars and jack cars and are able to get to the outlying areas. So armed robbers are showing up in small town America and we need to learn to defend against it differently. Lock your doors and carry your weapon all the time even when doing yard work or taking out trash. The criminal element is constantly evolving so we must evolve too. My wife understands the weapons but she doesn't like my alarm system set up. I just try to reason with her and tell her that she will appreciate it when it alerts us to somebody in the other room with a machete.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Scumbags are everywhere. Too bad the ladies that were attacked were not armed.

On another note, the article didn't say anything about the criminal records of these two thugs but I'm guessing this wasn't their first encounter with the law.

These two lowlife POSes showed NO concern for the ladies they attacked.

We NEED three strikes and your out for violent felons now more that ever. I personally would favor the death penalty for such scum. They clearly have no desire to be a useful member of society and are well beyond rehabilitation.

Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
10 oclock news last night had a story of almost the same thing happening in our area...upscale neighborhood...two guys broke thru the back door and held homeowners at gunpoint while they robbed & stole what they could carry out. No injuries but the news reporter said this was the 2nd time in that area and the same perps are suspected of both crimes. It's only a matter of time before they get caught or shot. If it continues, hopefully some homeowner will save our system the time and money of
processing them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My wife and I just spent the last 2 weeks at Grady in Atlanta. You see, my 32 year old son was the victim of a home invasion/robbery in a nice neighborhood(Brook Haven). He was shot by the intruder/thief, at 3:17 pm on Aug. 3rd, with an AK/SKS style rifle. The bullet grazed is right knuckle, plowed open his right forearm, entered his chest just above his right nipple and exited is upper back behind his collar bone. He has 3 broken ribs, a piece missing from his collar bone and nerve damage to his right arm. Luckily he survived the gunshot but has nerve damage. He will either lose the use of his right arm or have limited use. It's still to early to tell what the long term affects will be both mentally and physically. He's currently out of the hospital, alert, walking talking, eating, etc. and being cared for by home heath staff.

I can only praise God and the team of doctors, surgeons and nurses that saved his life. As of today they still haven't caught the bad guy.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I got home on Friday afternoon to see helicopters circling my neighborhood. They were searching for an inmate from the jail that's about a mile from me. He walked away from a work detail. Typically they break into a home in my development looking for a change of clothes and a set of car keys.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
My co worker just had a burglary behind him. The victim came home to find 3 males in the house. He held one at gunpoint before he rabbited. One of the three ended up at my co workers house. Saw him outside and asked for a bottle of water. IMO he was interviewing him as they were trying to get a car to evade capture at that point. But the perp was small in stature opposed to a big hairy Italian guy. My co worker gave him a bottle of water and called the police. He was the only one captured/arrested. This is why people need to carry. You come home and find a potential life and death situation. This co worker and I debate gun control and politics routinely. He admitted that could've went real bad, had it been more than one perp. So OP, I agree you are definitely righteous in your carry habits. Wish more people were..

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Burglaries and home invasions will only increase as drugs takeover the lives of more people who choose to get high and be part of the FSA rather than work. Our Democratic "leaders" created and now feed the FSA in hopes of getting votes. YOUR vote this November WILL make a difference.

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My wife and I just spent the last 2 weeks at Grady in Atlanta. You see, my 32 year old son was the victim of a home invasion/robbery in a nice neighborhood(Brook Haven). He was shot by the intruder/thief, at 3:17 pm on Aug. 3rd, with an AK/SKS style rifle. The bullet grazed is right knuckle, plowed open his right forearm, entered his chest just above his right nipple and exited is upper back behind his collar bone. He has 3 broken ribs, a piece missing from his collar bone and nerve damage to his right arm. Luckily he survived the gunshot but has nerve damage. He will either lose the use of his right arm or have limited use. It's still to early to tell what the long term affects will be both mentally and physically. He's currently out of the hospital, alert, walking talking, eating, etc. and being cared for by home heath staff.

I can only praise God and the team of doctors, surgeons and nurses that saved his life. As of today they still haven't caught the bad guy.
Sorry to hear this. I hope you son recovers as best he can.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I hope you son recovers as best he can.
Thanks, I appreciate that. He had some physical therapy yesterday and has gained a little movement in his arm. I hope that's a good sign that the nerve wasn't severed and he'll regain full use of his arm.

Last night on our local news here in NC, another home invasion in Atlanta was reported but this time the home had a nanny cam that recorded the perp inside the house. He was ransacking the house all while carrying a AK/SKS style rifle. The rifle in the video fit the description that my son gave us and the police being that it had no shoulder stock and a short barrel. You would think that it would be unusual for more than 1 bad guy to have a rifle like that in the same area.

My wife and I are traveling back to Atlanta again this weekend to help move him into another apartment and check on his physical progress.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm a fan of camera systems, though, alas, I didn't put one in until too late for a burglary and theft of some sentimental old guns. Even in an alert neighborhood it can take a couple of minutes or more for a nosy neighbor to step outside even to serve as a witness after an alarm goes off, and many minutes before police are likely to show up in response to an alarm. A camera can at least capture some reviewable evidence - though it's not perfect either and getting usable images depends on a lot of factors.

There's also a difference between invasion of an occupied residence and "simple" burglary though. Someone bold enough to rob someone at gunpoint in their own home is a major problem, and choosing between paying the price in the form of items versus an exchange of gunfire is not as easy as it might sound. Of course, the problem is you never know when they're going to decide to pull that trigger, even if they "probably" just want your stuff and to get out.

·
Registered
506 Posts

feel sorry for your son and hope he recovers fast soon with all the trauma.
Just saw this in the news a few days ago....Man wanted in Atlanta home invasions | www.ajc.com

and this....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts