Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Mossberg 590 Tactical shotgun with an 18.5 inch barrel I am using for home defense. It is a 6+1 gun; 6 shells in the mag tube and 1 in the chamber. When I am sleeping the 590 will be leaning against the arm of a chair 3 feet from the bed.

I always carry my Glocks with a round in the chamber and of course the trigger is covered by the IWB holster.

The shotgun safety will always be on until ready to shoot. My question - should I load the shotgun with one in the chamber or keep the chamber empty for extra safety then pump the gun to move a shell from the magazine tube into the chamber if I need to use it?

Additional question regarding a light. When I shoot my Glocks I hold an external Fenix light in my support hand and rest the strong wrist with the gun on my weak hand wrist. In the middle of the night it would be difficult I think to hold an external light when shooting the 12 ga shotgun. Is the only way to use a light with a shotgun to mount a light on the gun?

Thanks - Bill

Reactions: NavCop

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
The shotgun safety will always be on until ready to shoot. My question - should I load the shotgun with one in the chamber or keep the chamber empty for extra safety then pump the gun to move a shell from the magazine tube into the chamber if I need to use it?
Always loaded…..Always…..

Under stress you may not remember to chamber the round.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Shotguns are not usually drop safe, even with the safety on. I have a Remington tac 14 and I've decided to not keep a round in the chamber and with the safety off. Rack the slide, point and shoot. It's unlikely you'll need that extra round If you already have six on board.

I have a light that threads on to the extension tube in place of the cap. It is a military grade light and seems to be very substantial, but when I take it out to the range to practice I remove the light and replace the cap on the extension tube just to extend the life of the bulb. Shotguns pack a lot of recoil.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts
Long guns empty chamber. Worked a call decades ago where fella reached hand out to catch falling rifle inside of car. Round went thru the hand and into the cranium. End of his life story.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I would have one in the chamber, safety on. Being woke in the middle of the night just how coordinated are you and how aware are you in the first few seconds? Much easier to click a safety off then to rack a slide.

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
If you don't keep a round in the chamber (which I wouldn't) there probably is no need to have the safety on. That would give you two things to worry about. I think if you are going to use a light with a long gun, it should be mounted. You only have two hands.

·
Super Moderator
18,740 Posts
Shotgun, empty chamber. Had a classmate in high school that was shot by a shotgun that had been leaned in a corner that fell over when his brother slammed the door. Luckily he lived, not only did they remove the shot but the shot cup was inside him.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Another vote for cruiser-ready.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would have one in the chamber, safety on. Being woke in the middle of the night just how coordinated are you and how aware are you in the first few seconds? Much easier to click a safety off then to rack a slide.
Presuming a home invasion happens in the middle of the night - not all of them do - fine motor skills are seriously compromised going from a dead sleep to a massive adrenaline dump. Racking the slide would probably be faster and easier than manipulating a safety.

Just my 2¢.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
I would second cruiser ready .. No safty on

I would look at either a foreend light like a surfire or the like something that you hand goes to when you grabbing it so no extra stepth to reach for a light .. Why I like the surefire and the like its built into the pump just hold it on .

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Cruiser ready. Don't need the safety on with no round in the chamber. Dropping a shotgun with a round in the chamber is bad mojo.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Another vote for cruiser ready. Empty chamber, safety off. I have a Mossberg 590 also. If you are worried about the extra round, get a shotshell holder for the receiver. I recommend the aluminum one from Mesa Tactical. Six extra shells, and you can orient them up or down. I have 3 00 buck and 3 slugs.
As others have said before shotguns are not drop safe even with the safety on. That point alone is enough reason for me to keep the chamber empty.
There many different lights and light mounts. Lights that mount on picatinny rail side saddles. Lights built into the foreend like the Surelight. I just keep mine simple with a flashlight that mounts on the side of the barrel.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Empty chamber for me. The sound of racking a shotgun may convince the bad guys to go somewhere else? No matter what country a person is from or what language a person speaks, EVERYBODY speaks shotgun.---Sturgis

1 - 20 of 43 Posts