Defensive Carry banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Presuming a home invasion happens in the middle of the night - not all of them do - fine motor skills are seriously compromised going from a dead sleep to a massive adrenaline dump. Racking the slide would probably be faster and easier than manipulating a safety.

Just my 2¢.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
This

·
Registered
507 Posts
This is the Steiner MK7 that I mentioned earlier. Remove the mag tube end cap and screw it on. You can get it for Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590. On/off buttons on two sides.

I haven't mounted it yet after my last range trip. Like I said, it's very robust and plenty bright but I don't practice with it mounted to save wear and tear on the bulb. I shoot my Tac14 a lot.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Empty chamber for me. The sound of racking a shotgun may convince the bad guys to go somewhere else? No matter what country a person is from or what language a person speaks, EVERYBODY speaks shotgun.---Sturgis
That's the facts, Jack!

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
Cruiser ready on a pump gun, a shell on the lifter on Beretta 1301t.

Long guns go chamber empty they are not 100% drop safe. Handgun on the nightstand is your immediate threat tool. If you have time you move to the long gun for an advantage, but the pistol is primary from the bed.

Of course this is what works for me, you may have worked out your own.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Another vote for cruiser ready. Can't be too careful when first waking up in the middle of the night where firearms are concerned.

·
Super Moderator
20,035 Posts
Empty chamber for me. The sound of racking a shotgun may convince the bad guys to go somewhere else? No matter what country a person is from or what language a person speaks, EVERYBODY speaks shotgun.---Sturgis
You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language. - Clint Smith

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I carried a pump shotgun for decades as a city cop and criminal investigator covering over 1/3 the land area of Colorado. Always used the mode known as "cruiser ready", which means chamber empty, magazine full, action cocked, safety locked.

Deploying the shotgun requires use of the slide release to cycle the shotgun and chamber a round, then releasing the safety. As with everything else, training and practice lead to habitual performance of the proper methods. In actual use it requires only a couple of seconds to be ready to engage a target.

My Remington 870 12-gauge stays in my bedroom, magazine loaded, chamber empty, action cocked, safety engaged. Never a question in my mind. After nearly a half-century of doing everything the same way every day, never any hesitation.

Road trip? Not a problem. Colorado law prohibits long guns with a round in the chamber in a motor vehicle. My 870 can go straight from the bedroom into a nice little niche behind the driver's seat of my truck, no changes, no worries, same deployment procedures.

The other little niche behind the seat holds a US M1 Carbine, chamber empty, action cocked, safety locked, 30-round magazine fully loaded. Pull and release the charging handle, flip off the safety, ready to fire.

Both weapons remain completely safe to handle or transport, and there is a margin of safety provided in the unlikely event of unauthorized handling.

Your methods may vary. I'm just talking about what has always worked for me.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Cruiser ready on a pump gun, a shell on the lifter on Beretta 1301t.

Long guns go chamber empty they are not 100% drop safe. Handgun on the nightstand is your immediate threat tool. If you have time you move to the long gun for an advantage, but the pistol is primary from the bed.

Of course this is what works for me, you may have worked out your own.
+1. I have a bedside holster with a piece that slips between the matress and box spring to hold it in place. It holds my M & P 2.0 Compact and a flashlight and extra magazine. That is the closest gun to me and first one I will grab if there is a bump in the night. If I have time, I will grab the shotgun.

·
Registered
15,251 Posts
we called it cruiser safe......to keep from putting a hole in the cruiser....

empty chamber, safety off, action closed and uncocked........

just grab it and rack it.....no manipulating tiny things like a safety or action release.....
That is actually hot standby. I dislike that as the action is unlocked and just driving around causes the action to jiggle open, sometimes then the round bounces around and causes a jam. I transitioned to cruiser ready decades ago.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
been riding with a riot gun for going on 38 years now.......in security racks, window racks, front seat, car trunk, tool box, and behind the seat.......and with it uncocked and that internal hammer resting on that breach bolt putting forward tension on it....and with an empty chamber.....i just don't really see it happening to me from "jiggle".....

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
All pistols that are in use (be it carry or home defense) stay loaded and chambered. Rifles are the same. If I keep a shotgun out, which I often do, it stays with the chamber empty. I keep it cruiser ready, as it gets called. I completely unload the shotgun, press the trigger, leave the safety off, then load the mag tube all the way. This way, when I need to use it, just need to rack a round into the chamber. The reason the shotguns get treated different is because they are not drop safe like modern handguns and rifles. If you have an AR or AK for home defense, the safety actually stops the hammer from falling. In a shotgun, all it does is kill the trigger, it does not mechanically stop the firing pin from being stuck. A good fall that trips the sear, even with the safety on, and BOOM. It may be leaned up in the corner, but lets say it falls down onto a hardwood floor just the right way. If the shotgun were drop safe, Id keep a round chambered and the safety on.

If youre using a long gun and want a flashlight (highly recommended), you need to mount it to the gun. Plenty of good options for shotgun lights. With a Mossbery 590, you should be able to get a Surefire flashlight fore end, which seems to be the best option on the market. I havent personally used one, but Ive tried most other flashlight options on shotguns, and they all leave something lacking. The Surefire option, while a little expensive, is well worth it for a one and done option. Buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
been riding with a riot gun for going on 38 years now.......in security racks, window racks, front seat, car trunk, tool box, and behind the seat.......and with it uncocked and that internal hammer resting on that breach bolt putting forward tension on it....and with an empty chamber.....i just don't really see it happening to me from "jiggle".....
Thankee...thought I was the only one who been missin' out on that strange thing all these years. Mine have always been just like I left 'em when I went back to pick 'em up. In a car or truck, I carry cruiser ready like most old guys seem to...but for home defense, I want them quiet and quick in the dark...I've got mine hanging on 20 penny nails by the trigger guard in a coupla places...out of sight, and can't be bumped or knocked over, and they're locked and loaded all the way.
I was raised to shoot handgun and shotgun with light in the other hand, waaaay out from my body so they didn't get the prize by shooting the light...and I still do. I won't weapon mount my light...but I always have one.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Cruiser ready.

Easier to chamber a round under stress than find the safety.

I have a surefire g2x mounted on all my long guns.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Gotcha. I misunderstood, thought you kept a round chambered all those years.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts