Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's an active thread about carrying or not carrying with a round in the chamber. I want to ask a specific question about that topic.

I recently received my CCW. I hike a lot so in the summer so I often carry in a PT-2 holster or a fanny pack. When I fly fish I often carry in an across-the-chest holster. (I carry a Glock or an MP Shield.) Carrying in these holsters or a fanny pack means I am carrying without a trigger guard. I am therefore reluctant to having a round in the chamber. Does my reluctance make sense, even though when I'm out in the wild I see the big advantage of being able to draw and shoot quickly and, if need be, with one hand.

Thanks,

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Pass the popcorn!
Most will tell you to carry with one in the chamber or otherwise it is a hammer.
I don't carry one in the tube unless I am in an area where I think I might need it.
Then I go elsewhere.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Personal opinion I would not carry with one in the chamber if I didn't have something fully protecting the trigger guard with a good retention system. Unless there was a good external safety.

A reassuring factor about being in the wild is animals don't have a gun like most bad guys will. So assuming you're aware of your surroundings you should have time to spot a dangerous animal and rack the slide. Unless a mountain lion or something similar jumps out of a tree onto you which would be very unfortunate for you.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Your weapon should be ready to go if you are carrying it for defense. Best advice I can give is, get a holster with a trigger gaurd and put one in the pipe.....

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
If you carry a Glock it is imperative that you have a holster that covers the trigger guard area, anything less is an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I know there's an active thread about carrying or not carrying with a round in the chamber. I want to ask a specific question about that topic.

I recently received my CCW. I hike a lot so in the summer so I often carry in a PT-2 holster or a fanny pack. When I fly fish I often carry in an across-the-chest holster. (I carry a Glock or an MP Shield.) Carrying in these holsters or a fanny pack means I am carrying without a trigger guard. I am therefore reluctant to having a round in the chamber. Does my reluctance make sense, even though when I'm out in the wild I see the big advantage of being able to draw and shoot quickly and, if need be, with one hand.

Thanks,

Randy
I would consider the trigger covered with the PT.

With the fanny pack just add a pocket holster.

Instead of wringing your hands over what could happen train on your draw stroke to make sure your trigger finger is going where it is supposed to go.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
If I carried in a fanny pack I wouldn't just put the gun in "loose". I'd put it in a pocket holster (like a Nemesis) that has a trigger guard.
This. Or you could go with a trigger guard style kydex piece that is attached to a lanyard. I had one for a P938 that Matthew03 at Appalachian Concealment made. It would be good in the situation.

Reactions: Coconut

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Pass the popcorn!
Most will tell you to carry with one in the chamber or otherwise it is a hammer.
I don't carry one in the tube unless I am in an area where I think I might need it.
Then I go elsewhere.
Get a gun with a safety and learn to sweep it. NOT A GOOD IDEA TO CARRY A PAPERWEIGHT (Just my opinion)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I don't know I only carry revolvers in the woods with a thumb break so doesn't matter if the trigger is covered. Fast one handed and secure at the same time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can you expand on this? Why do you feel that you are carrying "without a trigger guard?"
I was apprehensive carrying at first with one in the pipe,but over time I became comfortable with it and realized having one chambered made me more aware and safety conscious.

As long as the trigger is covered,your good.

·
Registered
578 Posts
When I carry a Glock in the fanny pack, it is in a pocket holster. When I carry a Glock in my PT One, no holster needed. One in the chamber out not is a personal decision. When I first started carrying autos (I am a confirmed revolver guy),I didn't keep one in the chamber. As I grew more confident, I carried one in the pipe. You will get there. Don't let anyone bullyrag you.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
Why dont you get a holster that covers the trigger?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so much for all the replies.

In the summer it is often hard to conceal a holster. Because I often hike within city limits and/or where I often see other hikers, I just don't feel comfortable carrying open, though it is legal.

I have holsters that have trigger guards, but with the the PT-2 or the fanny pack nothing covers the trigger. I am concerned that when I reach for the gun in a high-stress situation my finger will accidentally pull the trigger.

With the PT holster I can conceal a gun under a loosely-fitting tee shirt.

Randy

·
Registered
712 Posts
Pass the popcorn!
Then I go elsewhere.
No disrespect but:
1. If there is an area that I think I really need my weapon locked and cocked or not. I'm not going to that area.
2. If I knew for certain when I needed my weapon before hand. I wouldn't need to carry. I would just avoid those areas and situations.

Carrying with 1 in the pipe is a personal preference. I would never disagree with someone's decision one way or the other. Having said that, personally I never leave home without my +1.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Having never seen a PT-2 I had to look it up online.

Learn to keep your fingers away from the trigger when you grip the gun. If the gun is held in a fixed position inside the PT-2 that shouldn't be a problem. If it does move around, get a pocket holster and use Velcro to affix it inside the PT-2. The same would apply for a fanny pack. You can buy a fanny pack ready to go or you can pick a generic one up from a thrift store and customize it to your liking.

Spending a little time practicing your draw (with an unloaded gun) will give you the confidence you need while showing up any potential problems with your rig.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Get a gun with a safety and learn to sweep it. NOT A GOOD IDEA TO CARRY A PAPERWEIGHT (Just my opinion)
That would be my suggestion. Every time I practice drawing, I sweep the safety...no exceptions.

Also, train yourself to keep your trigger finger fully extended every time you touch your gun. Whether removing it from a holster at the end of the day, reaching for it in your safe, practicing your draw stroke, etc. A straight finger cannot pull the trigger.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts