Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have made the decision to leave the dark(Glock) side and move over to the revolver side of the force. Currently I have a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .357 and a Glock 30sf. I want to sell/trade the Glock for either a S&W PC 627 with the 2 5/8" barrel or the new Ruger Redhawk in 45colt/45acp. I chose these because I already have ammo (with the exception of 45 colt) for both of them. So, I am asking the forum to help me decide, provide insights and suggestions, and any opinions or experience with either of these two. It will primarily be used for HD but may see some carry duty.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Being a Ruger fan, I have to lean towards the Redhawk. Its on my list and I'm personally open to adding a new caliber. I do believe forum mod OD* has a 45LC/45ACP Redhawk and should he find this thread he might have some insight. I'd "tag" him but I'm not quite sure how to do that on the forum yet.

However, it is hard to argue with eight rounds of .357. Plus you aren't adding a new caliber (if that's an issue at all). I'm not huge on S&W revolvers but if you wanted to keep it simple, go with the 627 given the options you have presented.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wizard, you're correct, I'm trying to follow the KISS way of thinking by not adding another caliber other than 45 colt (maybe). The 627 has always been a fantasy of mine but, like the Redhawk, would be awfully heavy and big for concealed carry. I'm not the biggest guy (5'10", 170lbs) so it might be a little difficult to conceal. Thankfully Texas has open carry.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I had thought about that too (especially the 3 inch) but then what would I do with all of the 45acp ammo I have accumulated?
Well, obviously you need the Redhawk then.

It's nice to see someone turning away from the dark side.

FWIW, I own a WC GP100 and Super Blackhawk 7.5 in. but what really trips my trigger lately is a 5 or 4 in. Super Blackhawk in .44 mag for some .44 spl plinking/cowboy shooting. :image035:

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
For overall performance, shooting utility for all applications, and for handloading flexibility and economical conservation of powder and lead, it's hard to argue with the .357 Magnum revolver, all done up in your favorite flavor: weight, capacity, barrel length, type of steel, brand. The cartridge can be a powder puff or be very potent in a way that is difficult to achieve with most reasonable automatics and their cartridges.

The .44 Magnum or other large magnum (or even non-magnum) thumpers have a distinct advantage over the .357 Magnum when it comes to terminal ballistic capabilities but can be wearing to shoot extensively unless one is a handloader with the flexibility to make up mild ammunition. One can get more mileage out of lead supplies, making up .357 Magnum bullets than he can making bullets of the .41, .44, or .45 tribe. Both ammunition and component bullets are less costly to purchase in .357 diameter. A can of favorite powder will go farther when loading .357 Magnum.

.357 Magnums live here and I like 'em. I don't use them as often as other revolvers also on hand. If times got tough enough and I still wanted to shoot some and hunt with a handgun I might be induced to use the .357 Magnum more.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Well, if challenged to a dueling tree, I'll pick the big bore, even if it's single action. :wave:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, so far it looks like it is pretty much a tie between the two. Some bits of info that might sway the voting: I don't reload and there is about a $200 price difference between the two with the Smith being the more expensive.

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
As a Smith & Wesson fan, my I offer to help things along with the two very finest totin' .357 Magnum revolvers ever created by modern man.

Only one opinion.

Top: N-Frame Smith & Wesson Model 27 3 1/2-inch (well, this early '50s example was produced prior to naming it the 27).
Bottom K-Frame Smith & Wesson Model 66 2 1/2-inch.

There's something to be said for fixed sight goodness so ...

...here's a K-Frame Model 13 3-inch, shown with the Model 66.

Unfortunately, handgun market tastes change as do manufacturing costs, so these are now all discontinued and a great loss to the handgun shooting world it is.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Of the two, I'd go for the Ruger. Been lusting after that 45/45 Redhawk ever since I saw the first ad. I already have both .45 ACP and .45 LC revolvers, and .45 ACP pistols, so no problem there.

I had thought about that too (especially the 3 inch) but then what would I do with all of the 45acp ammo I have accumulated?
That's an easy one. Get yourself a nice 1911! :hand5:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Well, so far it looks like it is pretty much a tie between the two. Some bits of info that might sway the voting: I don't reload and there is about a $200 price difference between the two with the Smith being the more expensive.
You're sure you might not want to look at a Wiley Clapp? :wave:

HPIM3006.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're sure you might not want to look at a Wiley Clapp? :wave:

View attachment 156354
Like I said earlier, I had seriously considered the GP100 but there is just something about the unfluted cylinder on the Smith that draws me to it. The $900+ pricetag however, does not. The Wiley Clapp is very much worth considering, especially the more I look at it...I would just need to find something to do with the hundreds of rounds of 45acp I have.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you have a bounty of .45ACP ammo and are looking for a revolver, it would be hard to do better than a vintage S&W model 25-2, or a newer 625. But, since neither is on your list, personally, I'd go with the 627PC.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I would probably go with the S&W since I have 3 of them.

Reactions: Doghandler

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I've always been a S&W fan more than Ruger for revolvers. Ruger makes some fine pistols, but I prefer their single action series to their revolvers. There's an elegance of design that S&W has that just isn't there with Ruger IMHO. They're boxy...like an old Volvo. So for me, it's my trusty old 586 or a classic J frame, or when I need to go big, the 629.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I've always been a S&W fan more than Ruger for revolvers. Ruger makes some fine pistols, but I prefer their single action series to their revolvers. There's an elegance of design that S&W has that just isn't there with Ruger IMHO. They're boxy...like an old Volvo. So for me, it's my trusty old 586 or a classic J frame, or when I need to go big, the 629.
+1 I have a 586 6" and a Model 60 SS 3" both .357. Both nice shooters. Plus a lightweight 638 for summer carry.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you have a bounty of .45ACP ammo and are looking for a revolver, it would be hard to do better than a vintage S&W model 25-2, or a newer 625. But, since neither is on your list, personally, I'd go with the 627PC.
I hadn't considered those so I will look into them. Are they considered medium or large frames? It doesn't matter to me, just curious.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with you about the look of the Ruger DA revolvers. I think I'm just attracted to the caliber(s).

1 - 20 of 62 Posts