Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wink:

I've been biding my time, waiting for the perfect shot on either of the red squirrels holed up under my shed. And it just so happened that yesterday I bench sighted my two PCP's in for twenty yards.
Early morning I caught sight of the big one (future mama) sitting on the blocks that make up my fire pit. Side window to back of fire pit, 22 yds.
One headshot. Goodbye.
My first pest kill goes to my Talon SS. The bullpup doesn't quite work for resting on the window frame. It's too tall. The Talon was perfect though. Actually better than my RWS 34.
Y'all know what a dead tree rat looks like, so no need for pics :yup:

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Granny!
It felt good getting some use out of the gun.
And it felt even better thinking, as I lowered the top half of the window, that if the pest took off after I loaded the pellet, no worries. It's not like a springer that you can't leave cocked and ready. If the squirrel had bolted I could just leave the gun loaded and ready for next time.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I've got 2 in my yard that the neighbor keeps feeding and loves watching them play. They leave during the summer for 3 months. They don't have to clean up the mess they are doing in my yard. Nice shooting.

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bill.
It's tough to catch them sitting still. That's the hardest part.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Nice shooting!
Has been a while since I've had trouble with them. I've got two cats (siblings) that hunt as a team. Not much is safe from them.
The downside is that it cuts down on my moving target practice.

Good luck on the second one.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice shooting!
Has been a while since I've had trouble with them. I've got two cats (siblings) that hunt as a team. Not much is safe from them.
The downside is that it cuts down on my moving target practice.

Good luck on the second one.
Cats hunting in a pair... that would be a sight.

I was watching the other one later today, but I need to position myself well for him. He like one spot in my walnut tree and I don't like shooting that high on account of trajectory. His time is near though.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Too many houses in my neck of the woods but taking out some squirrels would be a perfect job for my 1890 JP Stevens single shot breach loading .22 with a 12" barrel and flip up sights. I am jealous!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Cats hunting in a pair... that would be a sight.

I was watching the other one later today, but I need to position myself well for him. He like one spot in my walnut tree and I don't like shooting that high on account of trajectory. His time is near though.
Have to admit it is kind of fun to watch them in action.
The female has patience and her brother is full of energy. He holds all the attention while she takes down the game. They took a couple of young woodchucks last summer and the rest of the family moved out. Took my fun away. Love stalking woodchucks, good practice for stalking bigger game.

Bide your time, he'll make a mistake eventually.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are young 'chucks about the dumbest things? They freeze like rabbits until they learn to beat feet.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts

I've been biding my time, waiting for the perfect shot on either of the red squirrels holed up under my shed. And it just so happened that yesterday I bench sighted my two PCP's in for twenty yards.
Early morning I caught sight of the big one (future mama) sitting on the blocks that make up my fire pit. Side window to back of fire pit, 22 yds.
One headshot. Goodbye.
My first pest kill goes to my Talon SS. The bullpup doesn't quite work for resting on the window frame. It's too tall. The Talon was perfect though. Actually better than my RWS 34.
I have fun with air rifles and pistols. My break barrel air rifles are just too much work to load pellets one at a time. I actually prefer shooting CO2 BB pistols for fun more just because they hold more BB's.

I'm sure a PCP rifle would be great fun but I wouldn't have enough patience with the tank, refills, etc. Maybe a large CO2 canister type rifle? I can shoot any of my guns on my own property. Finding the time is my limitation.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SIG, my Talon can run off CO2 tanks. At least I've read that it can. I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts

One headshot. Goodbye.
Smoked him! Great shooting. The first animal taken with a new rifle is always the most exciting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Good Shootin' PAc! :congrats:

I took a fat tree-rat with my Cold Steel Professional (.625 cal. One piece 5") Blowgun. Broadhead dart, 16 yards. But I DID have to calculate substantial..."Kentucky Windage". Does that qualify as "air"? :blink:

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good Shootin' PAc! :congrats:

I took a fat tree-rat with my Cold Steel Professional (.625 cal. One piece 5") Blowgun. Broadhead dart, 16 yards. But I DID have to calculate substantial..."Kentucky Windage". Does that qualify as "air"? :blink:
Now that's cool.
Let's see your blowgun and dart.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Nicely done! Anyone who's spent serious time going after those pests knows how challenging it can be.

Ever hear of PETA?

People Eating Tasty Animals...I'm a charter member. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
25,603 Posts
My break barrel air rifles are just too much work to load pellets one at a time.
I saw an article that Gamo (sp) is coming out with a break barrel that has a 10 round mag, I think it was shown at this years Shot Show. Not sure when it will be available or the price though.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Ever hear of PETA? People Eating Tasty Animals...I'm a charter member. :rofl:
I'm a co-founder of DAMM "Drunks against Mad Mothers", (*but it's not too impressive, we have no lobbyists & only have...three members). :biggrin2:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I find about the only time a squirrel sits still is when there is no backstop but rather is silhouetted on the horizon with bad results for a missed shot.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts