Defensive Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For my Defender I have been using a Black Arch Single Clip Protos Holster for several years. The initial post is here: Black Arch Single Clip IWB Protos-M Review

The holster is very comfortable when riding low. However, the low ride seriously impedes the appendix draw. By riding high, and with a lot practice, I have managed to shave off about 0.3 seconds off my appendix draw. The Single Clip Protos becomes unstable when riding high, though, and "flips" due to horizontal pivoting (pivoting over the belt line). Thus, I had to make a wedge, discussed here: Making a comfortable wedge (Pay attention Holster Makers!)

The result is once again a comfortable holster that is stable when riding high. Also, by position the wedge at an angle, it performs the function of a wing as well, preventing vertical pivoting (pivoting along the bore and causing the butt of the gun to stick out) and tucking the butt of the gun inward. Win-win.

When I decided to pick up a spare Protos holster in case something happened to my current Protos holster, I learned that Black Arch no longer makes a Defender/1911 Protos holster. So, to my dismay, I began the process of looking for another appendix holster.

A drawback with the Protos is that the clip is mounted on the receiver mold, which greatly adds to the thickness of the holster. You can see this in the first picture of the first-linked thread above. So I decided to look for holsters with clips offset from the receiver to reduce the overall thickness of the holster.

After a lot of searching, I ran across The Reckoning by Crossbreed. As you can see below, the clips are offset and have a small range of ride height adjustment. I like the metal clips, but they tend to cut my shirts, so I added JB weld to the tips, as discussed here: Using J-B Weld to fix metal tabs that cut through clothing I'll paint the JB Weld Black to match the clips.

A couple of things to note:

1) I added a wing to the holster, and it works very well. However, the holster does not vertically pivot as much as the Protos, even without the wing, due to having two clips, one on each side of the gun.

2) The holster is longer than the Protos due to the flap of leather extending from the Kydex. This helps prevent horizontal pivoting. However, as the leather breaks in, I expect the leather to curl inward slightly. Thus, there is a chance this holster may pivot horizontally over the belt, so I'll have to watch for that. At present, however, there is no need for a wedge, as the gun is held tightly against my abdomen.

3) When carried appendix, the overall thickness of the holster is at least 1/2 inch less than the Protos, mostly due to the position of the clips. Although a half inch does not sound like much, it is noticeable.

4) For me, the holster is very comfortable. I have a six hour drive ahead of me today, so we'll see how it feels after a long drive.

5) I ordered the Founder's Leather. It's stiff but not uncomfortable. If I order another, I'll try the horsehide. One drawback - there is not an indent for the 1911 Safety, and if the holster is handled improperly the safety can flick off. Fortunately I discovered this when I first wore the holster. It appears the leather is starting to work an indent for the thumb safety, but still, it's something a user should be aware of.

I'll revisit this thread and provide updates over time. My first impressions are very good, and this is not going into the "holster box."

·
Premium Member
38,349 Posts
Nice review, with noteworthy observations. Thanks!

Reactions: PEF

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are welcome sir. I try to be thorough in holster reviews; turns out there's a lot of variables in holsters, and almost all of them I have learned through disappointment and/or discomfort. If I can help someone from populating their holster box, I consider that a win.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had a similar holster (custom) that caused me to worry about the safety disengaging as it went into the holster. My solution was to mark exactly where the safety sits when it's "on safe" and place a small strip of leather (approx. 1/4" wide) just under the engaged safety so it helps to hold the safety in the "on" position when in the holster, it works as intended. I attached the leather strip with "super glue" but if it even comes loose I will add small rivets at each end.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'll be curious to see how you like the two clip holster compared to the single clip. The double clip is about the only thing keeping me from trying the Crossbreed. My primary edc is a Springfield EMP 3 in a Vedder LightTuck, with a single clip. I offset my belt buckle to the left to carry about 12:30, so I'm worried the addition of a second clip would interfere with the buckle. Also, please let us know if you think the wing/claw attachment is beneficial in concealment. I don't think I've seen too many hybrid holsters with the wing.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be curious to see how you like the two clip holster compared to the single clip. The double clip is about the only thing keeping me from trying the Crossbreed. My primary edc is a Springfield EMP 3 in a Vedder LightTuck, with a single clip. I offset my belt buckle to the left to carry about 12:30, so I'm worried the addition of a second clip would interfere with the buckle. Also, please let us know if you think the wing/claw attachment is beneficial in concealment. I don't think I've seen too many hybrid holsters with the wing.
I'm probably 1:00, maybe 1:15....So that clip nearest your centerline might get in the way. I've seen the 12:30 or even 12:00 carry, but that's not where I carry. So yeah, I think your concerns may be well founded. Check into the return policy of Crossbreed - up to two weeks and you can return if not satisfied CrossBreed® Holsters | Returns & Exchanges (hmm, now they are having a sale, right after I bought mine. Good for you, at least).

The wing works well and does tuck the gun to the body. Not as much as it would with a single clip holster, because the two clip holster by its two attachment points will pivot less. I can certainly tell when a gun butt is pivoting away from the body, and the wings do tend to get rid of the grip bulge that results. So if you like the gun nice and tight against your body, then I would go with the wing. I do know that some people find them uncomfortable, but that is not the case for me (that's the problem with holsters - so often what works for one may not for another!).

Reactions: Fugum

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a similar holster (custom) that caused me to worry about the safety disengaging as it went into the holster. My solution was to mark exactly where the safety sits when it's "on safe" and place a small strip of leather (approx. 1/4" wide) just under the engaged safety so it helps to hold the safety in the "on" position when in the holster, it works as intended. I attached the leather strip with "super glue" but if it even comes loose I will add small rivets at each end.

Good idea. I'll give the holster time to mold, but if that does not do the trick, I may do what you did.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So...yesterday I had a six hour drive. It started out with a dead battery in my auto. Clicked the key fob to unlock the car to pack and nothing happened. Under the dash, looking for the hood release, pop the hood. Pull up my daughter's Q5 and pop the hood. Stare at what's under the Q5 hood, dumbfounded. Where in the hell is the battery??? Seriously, I can't find the damn thing in that car!!! And while I'm at it, where the hell are my jumper cables???? Oh, yeah, they are in my other car, 336 miles away!!!

So I go to the neighbors, he pulls down his Nissan and I get the car jumped. I give him a crowler of beer in thanks. Now I'm dealing with a dead battery alarm for 30 minutes. Did you know some cars have a dead battery alarm that goes off like a security alarm to let you know your battery is low? I found that out yesterday. Now I'm sweating and swearing and gesticulating like the Tasmanian Devil. I wanted to be on the road at noon, and instead I have a dead battery and I'm dealing with it in the hot Georgia humidity and sun. I finally take the car to AutoZone, they test it, the battery is fine. Drained by the interior lights being left on. Just needs to charge.

I run back home to pack up and then I gas up. Hit the road a 1:09 PM, agitated and annoyed. I get to my destination at 6:46.

All this time I was wearing the holster, and there was no discomfort and the gun stayed where it was supposed to. So I guess it passed the first outing with flying colors. Me, on the other hand, I'm still looking for my misplaced dignity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts