Defensive Carry banner

Would you rent EDC equipment for a time period to make sure you like your gear?

• YES, I would rent specific EDC gear for a certain time period as I want to be sure that all my gear

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • NO, I would not rent EDC gear. (please leave a comment why)

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • MAYBE, I would consider renting EDC gear if for example, the price, time period, choice and quality

Votes: 11 29.7%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening ladies and gentleman's,

A quick Survey!

Would you now, in the future or would you have in the past considered the option of renting a specific holster (IWB, OWB, Shoulder Holsters, Ankle, Belly Band etc.) of a specific material (Kydex, Leather, Hybrid, Nylon) for a period of time in order to make sure that you are fully comfortable with the concealability(if that is a word :blink:), reliability the level of overall comfort and ease etc.?
Now consider as well the fact that you would be able to rent "Real Weight" Blue guns and/or gun belts to make sure everything works to your liking!

Please give me some feedback and vote in the poll posted above this thread!
Please leave some feedback regarding the price you would be willing to pay for such a service, if any as well!

Thanks,

PEACE!:wave:

·
Premium Member
8,129 Posts
On line rental means shipping charges both ways. I can see the cost adding up very quickly. It does not seem like something I would have the least interest in doing. ALTHOUGH I do have two belly bands that I paid for that are useless to me so perhaps it's not such a bad idea after all. You would have to have an enormous inventory for that sort of thing.

·
Super Moderator
18,033 Posts
I could see a market for something like that; many of us have boxes of holsters that just did not work out.

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!
I do see a potential conflict with the shipping and handling but every problem has a solution I believe! Thanks a lot for the feedback!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Interesting concept. Most items should fit in a small Flat Rate Priority Mail box, so shipping would be around $6 each way.

Sure would have to have quite a bit of inventory though...

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
You coul be the netflix of EDC.s.

Offer a discount on sale price if purchased after rental.

Reactions: BackcountryGuy

·
Premium Member
8,129 Posts
Interesting concept. Most items should fit in a small Flat Rate Priority Mail box, so shipping would be around $6 each way.

Sure would have to have quite a bit of inventory though...
$7.20 each way for the smallest size box - as of this past week.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Could be possible, but the start up might be a bit much.

I'd be afraid it would involve more generic type goods. Same as Academy, or Cabelas sell.
And rental of EDC holsters? All or just the very most common.
Gun belts are also sold by size. Usually every 2 inches.
Lots of inventory. Or direct from the source.

But someone always finds a way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much for all the replies and the votes!
I really appreciate it! I know there are pitfalls and pretty big hurdles but every problem has a solution, right!:danceban:
Please keep it coming!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've been preaching this concept to anyone who would listen for a couple years now. The only difference is I talked about a local store as opposed to internet. Heck I can't think of anyone who own a handgun that hasn't bought at least one holster ( might have even tried out either the the weapon for a fit or checked out how well it concealed) because they thought it was the perfect solution to all there concealed carry needs. Only to find out that it didn't fit the gun right, or was uncomfortable to ware, or caused printing so bad they felt like they had a big neon sign on their back saying "I'm crying a concealed weapon" or had some other problems that ultimately caused it to be dumped in the "holsters that don't do what i thought they would do " box. If I had all the money back that I've wasted on holster/gear that never got used I could buy another gun, or 12.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Good evening ladies and gentleman's,

A quick Survey!

Would you now, in the future or would you have in the past considered the option of renting a specific holster (IWB, OWB, Shoulder Holsters, Ankle, Belly Band etc.) of a specific material (Kydex, Leather, Hybrid, Nylon) for a period of time in order to make sure that you are fully comfortable with the concealability(if that is a word :blink:), reliability the level of overall comfort and ease etc.?
Now consider as well the fact that you would be able to rent "Real Weight" Blue guns and/or gun belts to make sure everything works to your liking!

Please give me some feedback and vote in the poll posted above this thread!
Please leave some feedback regarding the price you would be willing to pay for such a service, if any as well!
Rent accoutrements? maybe. Many of the companies out there right now have "money back if not satisfied in X days" policies, that make buying less of a crap shoot.

Renting a blue gun I don't see much point to. A gun works for you, or it doesn't. You either already know it and have the gun, or (if you're like me and don't have a rental range handy) take you chances purchasing a new gun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would definitely not be interested in renting something that was already against someone else's skin, was sweat on and dumped down the front of their pants.

Most hybrid holsters can harbor some kind of bacteria if not properly cleaned thanks to porous material and I really can't see the process of fulfilling rentals at a reasonable price to the consumer while making the process financially viable for the time investment needed to keep track of stock and clean all returned units properly before sending them out, replacing or repairing damaged units, etc.

Would be nice to try a holster before buying but most companies have a 30 day money back guarantee. I know I've used it once.

Just my thoughts!

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I'm trying to understand how this could be a win for either party. Seems that it would be like the furniture/television rental business. Up front rental price would have to be at least 1/2 or more than cost. It would be difficult to stay in business renting new stuff "just to try".

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I carefully research and choose my gear that suits me and my needs.
I usually know exactly what I want and get it.
The only time I "missed" was trying an IWB holster which I gave away on this forum.
A high end one at that! Found that IWB was not for me, but had to try it.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I would love to be able to rent a knife to see how it fits the hand/pocket.

Renting a holster, kind of odds me out. Why? Not sure really except I IWB and and don't know if I would be comfortable with it beside my skin after it had been next to another's. Especially if it used foam or leather. I guess if you could sell me on the whole sanitize thing then maybe.

Wonder what the legalities behind renting an EDC gun would be if you ever used it for its intended purpose.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Doesn't sound like it'd pan out to me. Better to get a product line and sell on ebay. A one stop shop for the same subject matter if that's your desire. Pick out most carried weapons and supply everything from spare or after market upgraded parts, mags, holsters, ect for same. Theres a guy on ebay who engraves verses on magazine floor plates. Just gotta find an angle and go for it. I search flea markets, sales, ect for anything cheap I can resell. Gun parts cannibalized from junk guns seems to be a thing on there too, especially "vintage" stuff.Maybe all Made in USA products, definitely NO Chinese junk and you'll be good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As an instructor, I would great promote this to my students who are new to the lifestyle. This will give them the option to find what works for them, without wasting a mint in money.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Probably not. For my personal needs, I've found that Remora/Sticky type holsters work ideally for about 90% of my carry time, with an Uncle Mike's pocket holster filling in the rest. They're all cheap enough that I wouldn't bother renting more.

Aside from that, I probably wouldn't rent IWB holsters unless there were a darned good sanitization procedure being used. Especially with appendix carry being popular.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
It is like socks & drawers... You don't share that stuff... After all, IWB holsters go INSIDE YOUR PANTS...

Reactions: ghost tracker
1 - 20 of 23 Posts