Defensive Carry banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I watched "Saturday Night Fever" endlessly. The mirror trick worked great. Going to a disco and trying it always ended in disaster!

Proper decorum and forum rules prevent me relating what they called me.
I have done the mirror for dancing, Tai Chi and draw from holster exercises especially what I started to train for competition. It's basic. Although I try to learn from more experienced competitors when I compete, me and my BF also take video of each other that we can watch when we get home and critique. Having video records, also lets you go back to older videos to see your earlier technique vs. current technique. It does help and gave me confidence that I did not look like a, well, probably what you were going to say in your thread and decided not to:wink:

·
Registered
36,175 Posts
I watched "Saturday Night Fever" endlessly. The mirror trick worked great. Going to a disco and trying it always ended in disaster!

Proper decorum and forum rules prevent me relating what they called me.
They probably called you the same thing I do, but we'll let it go at that.

I get all my training from YouTube for free. I know everything!

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
They probably called you the same thing I do, but we'll let it go at that.

I get all my training from YouTube for free. I know everything!
Yes YouTube is great for erstwhile dancers....I gave up on Saturday Night Fever and went to this one...however, I haven't been able to walk right ever since!

I suspect I have dragged us kicking, screaming, and disco'in a bit off topic. :embarassed:

Reactions: BBMike and OldVet

·
Registered
399 Posts
Anybody got experience on online courses and training about shooting and self defense? I´m not talking about courses you take before applying for CCW permit, but rather more advanced, perhaps more tactics oriented stuff? Also, I don´t mean shooting DVDs like the Art of the Pistol, etc but rather actual courses that are structured as lectures and perhaps have progressive curriculums.

Something like:
- Concealed carry masters course (https://concealedcarrymasterscourse.com)
- Personal Defense Network courses (https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/products/personal-defense-classes/page/2/)
- Mike Seeklander online training (http://blog.shooting-performance.com/new-interactive-online-defensive-handgun-training-program/)

Do you find this kind of instruction more beneficial than regular instructional DVD´s? Can you recommend these, or other similar courses?

YJT,
I understand what you're asking- supplementing in person training with online training- and I don't see any downside to it as long as you have a dependable high speed 'net connection, and pick a highly credible instructor and courses that are appropriate to your needs and wants. Aside from in person training with a highly respected firearms instructor, the next best thing is probably online training that offers weekly interaction with your instructor, so questions can be asked and answered, and so motivation and goals can be incorporated. I'd even opine that online training with a premier instructor would be better than in-person instruction with a marginal instructor, for obvious reasons.

Of those three you listed, I wouldn't hesitate to go with Mike Seeklander, because he's a former Marine and combat veteran of modern conflicts, a former federal agent, county, and city LEO with extensive operational experience, a very seasoned firearms/tactics instructor and curriculum builder, and a nationally ranked competitive shooter. He also happens to be an in demand nationally respected trainer- most of America's top instructors know who he is, and he and World Champion Rob Leatham co-teach a course or two.

Please update this thread to let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the response.

I'll probably pick the IDPA mastery course by Mike Seeklander (https://train.shooting-performance.com/idpa-mastery-program)

The PDN Network membership is also very interesting, as there are several interesting topics and I like Pincus as an instructor.

I'll have to hurry with the Seeklander course, though, as the offer is valid only for few hours - the same time that has been for about a month now...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I'll probably pick the IDPA mastery course by Mike Seeklander (https://train.shooting-performance.com/idpa-mastery-program)

The PDN Network membership is also very interesting, as there are several interesting topics and I like Pincus as an instructor.

I'll have to hurry with the Seeklander course, though, as the offer is valid only for few hours - the same time that has been for about a month now...
Let us know how it goes! I would be especially interested in your feedback on doing a live IDPA competition. I have been doing BUG gun for a little while. I love BUG (Back Up Gun), it is a IDPA for the smaller carry pistols, draw from concealment, etc. We have a really good ex-LE guy here who runs them at his range. He keeps it interesting, fun, nothing is ever the same. For me, the shooting under stress level is hard to reproduce any other way. One of the unanticipated aspects of doing the competitions, is the camaraderie and support with the other competitors. It has become social. We have new friends there.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
I would watch a Dave Grossman bulletproof mind seminar, and Paul Howe Combat Mindset Dvd and would probably leave the shooting mechanics training to a live instructor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have attended Grossman´s seminar and read all his non-fiction books. Good stuff. I´ll have to watch the Howe DVD when I renew my Panteao subscription. Thanks for the tip.

However, what I´m looking for is not instruction about shooting mechanics per se because I believe I have the basics pat down (I´m a police firearms insructor for what it´s worth). I´m mainly looking for tactics, and especially CCW related stuff like carrying concealed etc. Sure, some "advanced" tips on technique are of intertest, also (if there are such thing as advanced techniques)

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
YJT,

Would you kindly start a threat about Finland's police officers pistol qualification standards and training course.

How many rounds at what distances, time constraints if any, what minimum score is acceptable, type of target/s you guys shoot on quals, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now that might appear corny to a few but it how they educated and still teach Marines. There is no replacement for an teacher. And do no longer sign on with an instructor who has never needed to face a probable gun fight from fintexec. The instructor that has had to will understand what adrenaline does to and for you.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I subscribe to the Thunder Ranch YouTube Channel, and Clint Smith might have a podcast, too. That’s some awesome stuff. I’ve been an NRA Instructor for 32 years and I’ve taken five advanced instructor level courses at the Sig Sauer Academy. I can always learn something new from Clint Smith, CEO of Thunder Ranch.

Also, for what it’s worth, I’d recommend the DVD collection from Dave Grossman (that’s the author or reporter of the famous SHEEPDOG essay). He’s written several books: ON KILLING and ON COMBAT. But I recommend his DVD collection titled
THE BULLETPROOF MIND.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts