Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new leather (suede) IWB clip holster I am going to use for appendix carry and/or appendix cross-draw. OK, things look good. Fit is good, comfortable and I like it already.

So I load up my Taurus 605 5-shot snubbie (my preferred carry for this sensitive area! :blink:) and head out to get my haircut. I get to the stylist's place and get outta my van. Something is sticking out under my shirt! What the heck?!?!

I look down and there is a bulge -- my snubbie has gone "rogue" and hopped out of the holster! What?! How did this happen?

I wasn't overly active or physical. What happened? Can't really say but I sat back down and put the wayward pistol back into its holster. Glad the shirt tucked over and caught it from falling! :frown: It was loose to begin with. I was lucky.

I'm going to play around with this a bit. I want to try it again so as to make this holster useful for AIWB carry. I like it -- it just seems to not like me! Gotta work on that....

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
So brand and model of holster please.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well at least it happened while you were able to keep it private. Would have been much worse to drop while in the barber chair and have to ask for it back.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
It's not a DeSantis Soft Tuck is it. I like their Cozy Partner, but their generic fit Soft Tuck, not so much.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I would invest in a good hybrid or kydex holster for AIWB.

I do use a cheap Uncle Mikes that I modified slightly to help it stay in place; mainly because it's an easy on off without having to re-holster. (I have to remove my firearm more than usual some days when I visit hospitals, etc.)

But, I much prefer my modified CBST for the extra security it gives me when it comes to keeping my firearm squarely in place.

-

·
Premium Member
39,125 Posts
As others have stated, get a real holster.

Reactions: SgtRick

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
I just got a new leather (suede) IWB clip holster I am going to use for appendix carry and/or appendix cross-draw. OK, things look good. Fit is good, comfortable and I like it already.

If your weapon came out of your holster, with only the activity you stated, then all you said above in bold is untrue. JMO

·
Registered
941 Posts
Embarassing: dropping your revolver.
Really embarassing: telling folks you get your hair cut at a "stylist."

Just kidding - just because I get my haircut the same way today as I did when I was 8 (3-finger Aggie fade all around) and because nothing I spend on my hair will help the made-for-radio face underneath it doesn't mean others can't channel their inner John Kerry.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Stylist? After that what difference does it make what holster you use?:wink:

·
Registered
220 Posts
What, no pics of the haircut?

What a jip...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let me see if I can cover all the responses: The holster is a "Hunter, Inc." Model 2 for small snubbies and other little pistols. It's really not a bad holster. Right now I am trying to shape it a bit. I wet it down and put the revolver (in a plastic bag) inside and clothes pinned it all around to sorta form fit it. Maybe that will help a bit when it dries and hopefully harden it a bit.

The point about rubber grips pulling on stuff is a possibility. The little Taurus has rubber grips. I had worn this around the house a bit before its first trip out and no problems then. I had no reason to think it would be a problem when exiting a vehicle. But maybe my belt wasn't snug enough and I need to check that next outing.

As far as "stylist" goes, I just call her what she calls herself! :wink: There are no "barbers" around here anymore and all I can find are hair-stylists so I patronize them for being the only game in town!

Thanks for the responses. After my shaping/molding of the current holster is finished I hope to have a bit better results. If not, I may look into a "Blade Tech" that I see has 2 new models for AIWB carry. I might check them and also Galco out. We'll see....now I am late to the manicurist!!! :danceban:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your Snubby went rogue and was sticking out of your pants? :blink:

Sounds like a personal problem!
:rofl:
Lemme see if I can paint a better picture. As I exited the van my T-shirt was poking out at the AWIB location. What's this? :confused: So I sat back down and my Taurus snubbie had fallen (or been assisted by the rubber grips -- see above) over the top of the holster and was caught in the T shirt. Like a pack of smokes in the sleeve.

I put 'er back in the holster and no further problems ensued. I want to give this more use before I exile the holster to the dreaded "draw-O-holsters".

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Whatever you choose, you have to be able to run with it and get physical, and not have it fall out. If this is a PD firearm, my guess is that if someone starts shooting around you or at you, you could be doing a fair amount of get the heck out of the way looking for cover. When you do get to cover, the last thing you want to discover is that you gun has fallen out somewhere, and now the bad guy has another gun to shoot you with.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whatever you choose, you have to be able to run with it and get physical, and not have it fall out. If this is a PD firearm, my guess is that if someone starts shooting around you or at you, you could be doing a fair amount of get the heck out of the way looking for cover. When you do get to cover, the last thing you want to discover is that you gun has fallen out somewhere, and now the bad guy has another gun to shoot you with.
All good points and certainly indicate better retention. I'd never thought of it in that way so thanks for the info. I saw a DeSantis model while looking around that looks like it would be a good choice. I'm gonna go look and, I guess :frown:, relegate this holster to the dreaded draw-O-holsters!!!

Thanks again for making this point.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After trying, in vain, to salvage this bargain holster, I have given up. After wetting it and drying around the gun to try and form-fit it, it just got really hard to draw the weapon! Too much retention! :blink: Not good. So I ordered the DeSantis model I had looked at earlier (shoulda been my first choice...) and am going to keep the 'locked up' holster to use infrequently with my Bersa Thunder 380 CC. It's a thin pistol and has sights that are like pimples so it comes outta the shrunken holster well. So I changed a bull into a steer :)wink:) and will get at least some minimal use from it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Embarassing: dropping your revolver.
Really embarassing: telling folks you get your hair cut at a "stylist."

Just kidding - just because I get my haircut the same way today as I did when I was 8 (3-finger Aggie fade all around) and because nothing I spend on my hair will help the made-for-radio face underneath it doesn't mean others can't channel their

inner John Kerry.
I'm a barber. What the heck is a 3 finger aggie fade?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts