Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to get my new hearing aids today (the old ones simply weren't working anymore) and wore my P238 IWB as usual, with a jacket that was open in the front. Normally a loose cover garment is all I need to be concealed when I don't tuck my shirt into my Vedder tuckable holster. The pants I wore would have been uncomfortable if I had tucked my knit shirt in.

AND SUDDENLY:

Seemingly right in the middle of a sentence, the audiologist said "What are you packin?" I think my mouth dropped open and I was speechless. (Yes, me!) He repeated the question. His wife was in the office also and she sat there with a neutral expression on her face.

I still didn't answer, so he said, "I have a gun. In fact, I carry 3 - one on my body, one in my car and one in my desk." Relieved, I pulled my jacket aside to show them my P238. He then got out his Glock 42, which is what I used to carry until I couldn't rack the slide anymore. He should not have unholstered his loaded gun but he did keep it pointed away from me and if he had a ND it would have "only" broken a window.

The next patients had to wait a while because we proceeded to talk about places to shoot and I strongly encouraged them to join our local sportsman club and also the wife to join our women's group. She is not yet a "real" shooter but I encouraged her to get a P238 if they can find one. I told her I would really love to have her come to the group and I truly love to teach newbies that come to the group.

Yes, the new hearing aids are a real improvement. For what they cost, they should be! He explained that he set them at a low level to start so my brain wouldn't be fried by the full level I actually need, and that we would go up in increments.

You never know when or where the next shooting friend will appear, do you?

·
Registered
11,916 Posts
How exactly did he notice?

I've been made three times over the years, all while carrying on the waist, and all from hugs or pats on the back. Luckily, none resulted in any issues.

I now pocket carry almost exclusively.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I had a similar experience with a Dermatologist and his assistant. The difference was I was wearing an empty holster - the gun was in my vehicle as I had not brought it into the building. The assistant asked me if I knew that my holster was empty. I tried hard not to laugh and explained why it was empty. Turned out the doctor was a gun person and kept me talking guns and politics for a half hour or so. Now I know why there is sometimes a long wait in a doctor's waiting room ( they are probably talking golf and sports cars with somebody )!

·
Registered
51,904 Posts
Glad your hearing aids help. Mine merely turned dim muffled voices into louder muffled voices. About the only time I use them is when The Boss is watching Hallmark Channel and I put them in to Bluetooth videos on YT.

·
Premium Member
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I've been made three times over the years, all while carrying on the waist, and all from hugs or pats on the back. Luckily, none resulted in any issues.

My jacket was unbuttoned (because it is too tight to button) and I was on the other side of his desk, leaning forward. That meant that the jacket side was open/loose just enough for him - a shooter - to see the gun. I had my knit shirt loose and I don't think an "average" person would have noticed.

·
Premium Member
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad your hearing aids help. Mine merely turned dim muffled voices into louder muffled voices. About the only time I use them is when The Boss is watching Hallmark Channel and I put them in to Bluetooth videos on YT.
There are all qualities (and prices!) of hearing aids. And some brands are much, much better than others. I had to get the ones that are $1800.00 more than what I anticipated in order for the programming to be sophisticated enough to work for me because my hearing loss is so severe.

My old ones were exactly as you described: Loud but still no words distinguishable. When I first got those they worked well for me and I was able to tell you the color of people's eyes for the first time in a long time - I had always had to concentrate on doing lip reading. But that was 3 years ago and they no longer worked - just loud, but I was back to reading lips.

This evening I didn't say anything when we went to the outdoor (in a gazebo) weekly neighborhood gathering, but when we left one of the women said "You got your new hearing aids, didn't you?" They noticed! It was most interesting because I was hearing almost all the words - even with people all talking at the same time, sitting on the benches which make a square/circle. There were around 12 people there.

Perhaps you need to get a good ($$$$) set of hearing aids. Most of the brands have 30 day money back guarantees so you can return them if they don't help any better than your old ones. Also, most of the places offer free hearing exams.

·
Premium Member
8,262 Posts
I had a similar experience from a Maryland Doctor, i thought i had Covid and he did a full examine, ask me to take off my shirt . When he said that i told him i was carrying, he did not miss a beat and said he did not care, it was if i had a phone holster to him.

We had no conversation about guns it just was business

Glad your visit went well and the hearing aids are working

·
Registered
95 Posts
There are all qualities (and prices!) of hearing aids. And some brands are much, much better than others. I had to get the ones that are $1800.00 more than what I anticipated in order for the programming to be sophisticated enough to work for me because my hearing loss is so severe.

My old ones were exactly as you described: Loud but still no words distinguishable. When I first got those they worked well for me and I was able to tell you the color of people's eyes for the first time in a long time - I had always had to concentrate on doing lip reading. But that was 3 years ago and they no longer worked - just loud, but I was back to reading lips.

This evening I didn't say anything when we went to the outdoor (in a gazebo) weekly neighborhood gathering, but when we left one of the women said "You got your new hearing aids, didn't you?" They noticed! It was most interesting because I was hearing almost all the words - even with people all talking at the same time, sitting on the benches which make a square/circle. There were around 12 people there.

Perhaps you need to get a good ($$$$) set of hearing aids. Most of the brands have 30 day money back guarantees so you can return them if they don't help any better than your old ones. Also, most of the places offer free hearing exams.
Last year, I bought a I set of Starkeys that have the Bluetooth function. At 60, I didn’t think I needed them but the wife persisted and I’m really glad I relented. I’ve got just the regular battery jobs as the audiologist didn’t push the rechargeable ones.

Edit to add: My wife loves her Sig 238 too! I installed a pink Hogue grip on it.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
SG we got a quote for about $3,000. For me at the doctors office so I decided to wait until next year.

What brand did you get?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
About 10 years ago my primary care physician commented on my holster and belt. Her husband is an avid pistol shooter. I still owned the holster company at that time, she asked me to make a holster for her to give her husband. He later requested a matching belt and mag pouch.

About 35 years ago I went to the dentist for a root canal, very lengthy and uncomfortable procedure. I was on duty in plain clothes. Hung my jacket up before settling into the chair. New dental assistant continued staring at my holstered pistol. Doc told her it was OK, that we had a deal with each other; "He won't hurt us as long as we don't hurt him".

Attended an event at the US Air Force Academy Field House years ago, several other things going on and lots of people coming and going from the various facilities in the building. Went into a mens room and was standing at the urinal when two guys in suits came in, scanned the room, then Vice President G.H.W. Bush entered, stood at the urinal next to me. We did not shake hands. His detail did not notice my holstered pistol, which was probably a good thing.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts

Just watch out for Democrats..... They will reach into your pockets....

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I have gotten my hearing aids at Costco. They are a high end Swiss brand, with the Kirkland label. Paid $1,200/pair. I believe these are something like $5000 or so in an audiologist’s office. Got a fantastic exam and after sales service at Costco, too. I can recommend them for anyone needing a great pair of hearing aids at a reasonable price. All after sales services have been free, only pay for batteries. I don‘T recommend rechargeable.

·
Premium Member
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last year, I bought a I set of Starkeys that have the Bluetooth function. At 60, I didn’t think I needed them but the wife persisted and I’m really glad I relented. I’ve got just the regular battery jobs as the audiologist didn’t push the rechargeable ones.

Edit to add: My wife loves her Sig 238 too! I installed a pink Hogue grip on it.
SG we got a quote for about $3,000. For me at the doctors office so I decided to wait until next year.

What brand did you get?
@Coltfan1 I specifically said I wanted Starkey because of the rave personal reviews I've heard from people I know. I wound up with Audibel which is made by Starkey - it even says so on the box that they come in. If you check the customer reviews on line, they are almost identical in % of various levels of like and dislike and the on line hearing tests on both web sites are identical also.

Each "brand" has different style names for each level, but the ones I got are "AI" on both brand's web sites. One thing probably no one knows is that the mini cord/microphone that goes from the aid to your ear can be at different levels of proficiency. My "guy" changed the "50" which came with the aids for a set of "60" whatever that means but he said they will work better for me. Since we got to talking gun stuff I didn't have a chance to ask him a lot of questions like specifically what was the difference between "50" and "60."

I also got the battery operated ones by choice. Two of my friends have relative new sets of rechargeable Starkey and one of them had a rechargeable battery go bad after a few months. They were under warranty but she had to do without one for a week while it was sent it for battery replacement repair. Right or wrong, I figure one less fancy thing to go wrong is better.

For the level of hearing loss that I have, my set comes bluetooth ready to work "with you" smart phone." I do not have and am not going to get (if I can help it) a smart phone, but the audiologist says he can program the aids to do a lot of the stuff that you do with a phone, to work with the toggle switch on the top of each instrument. He says that will also come later but now I need to get used to wearing these.

I do not want to stream TV since I don't watch TV. I do not want to listen to hands off personal music collection while I drive since I drive very seldom. I don't know what else they can do, but I JUST WANT TO HEAR ACTUAL WORDS!! Being able to listen to music on my computer and not have it sound like the singer is flat, flat, flat and the instruments all out of tune: That is very nice because the old ones were awful for the past year and my $8 set of ear buds for my computer gave me beautiful, clear, on key sound.

I got this yesterday and I think I'm used to them now, but I know he won't make any adjustments for 2 weeks minimum. They, like most, have a 30 day no questions money back guarantee. I'm not sure what you can know if 30 days unless they are obviously total junk. A first time user might not even know if they were good or crappy.

@Sister As far as price, I can't imagine getting a good set including tax, 3 year manufacturer warranty plus 1 year "loss for any reason" and the 3 year free normal in office adjustment services - all for under $4000.00. I knew mine would be that much or more. They were MORE - but if they do what I need it will be worth it to me even though it is outrageous.

I really didn't intend to write all of this stuff - the thread was about finding another fellow gun owner by "oops."

·
Registered
51,904 Posts
My primary care doctor wouldn't care as he carries a 9mm. The others I'm not too sure about.

Reactions: Kenk

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
@ShooterGranny ; Please make this simple for me lol, I never asked you how much your‘s were (I ain‘t that rude) but I wanted to know WHAT BRAND???

I did look at your post twice but never saw the brand you ended up with? That is my question and only question, what BRAND, THE NAME OF THE HEARING AIDS???

·
Premium Member
9,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ShooterGranny ; Please make this simple for me lol, I never asked you how much your‘s were (I ain‘t that rude) but I wanted to know WHAT BRAND???

I did look at your post twice but never saw the brand you ended up with? That is my question and only question, what BRAND, THE NAME OF THE HEARING AIDS???
Please reread the first two sentences in the reply part to Coltfan1 (post #15): I asked for Starkey and wound up with Audibel which is made by Starkey............etc. etc.

• Love
Reactions: Coltfan1 and Sister
1 - 20 of 50 Posts