Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to pick up some ammo to go white tail hunting. I usually use Winchester 180 gr CXP2 in my Remington 710 30-06. I have had good success with this round in the past. Dick's Sporting Goods did not have any in stock. CXP2 is to be shot at thin skinned, medium sized game like white tail an black bear.

So I picked up some Federal Vital-Shok 180 gr. When I got home I realized that the box that I got was for thick skinned large game like elk and brown bear.

If I use the Federal on white tail do I risk the round not expanding rapidly enough and possibly let the animal run way too far before dropping?

I'll be sighting in this weekend. So I need to either get some of the old reliable or stick with what I have.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Are you trophy hunting? If so, the deer is bigger and heavier (northern deer tend to be larger anyhow) and the round you purchased is a good choice.

What range? Closer shots require better bullets because of the higher energy.

Smaller deer like we see in Texas may result in some expansion problems if you don't hit any bone.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you trophy hunting? If so, the deer is bigger and heavier (northern deer tend to be larger anyhow) and the round you purchased is a good choice.

What range? Closer shots require better bullets because of the higher energy.

Smaller deer like we see in Texas may result in some expansion problems if you don't hit any bone.
No trophy deer. The last one I took weighed only about 170. The larger deer in my area would be about 220. Actually there may be a few nice ones in the area. My brother-in-law took a 10 pointer that scored 140 (I think).

Most of my shots would be out to about 70 yards. Very few of my blinds provide shots out to 100 yards.

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
I would save the Fed stuff for your elk hunt (a man's reach should exceed his grasp...) and get stuff better suited to white tails. You run the risk of just drilling right though the deer with only minor expansion with what you got.

If Dick's has the same Winchester load (Ballistic Silvertip) in 150 or 168 grains, I'd say go for it. Out to 200 yards you'll be within a half inch of the 180s even without adjusting your sights.

If those aren't available, the old standby is the ubiquitous Remington Core-Lokt soft point or pointed soft point, in 150 or 180 grain denominations. You should be able to find those even at Wal-Mart, and they've taken a lot of deer over the years.

·
Registered
335 Posts
No trophy deer. The last one I took weighed only about 170. The larger deer in my area would be about 220.
170 pounds is a pretty big deer in this part of the country. I've taken a few that were well under 100.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
170 pounds is a pretty big deer in this part of the country. I've taken a few that were well under 100.
You sure they weren't fat chihuahas

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I went out and found my regularly used round. I'll keep the Federal just in case we go on a brown bear trip in the future.

Now, off to the range today to sight in my 710 and the Ruger.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With shorter shots it may not matter much, but you also need to be concerned about point of impact with different loads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts