Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
imagine how many rounds fall to ground every time Hamas has another peace parade. Those guys celebrate w/ AK bursts into the air.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Its never a good idea to fire a gun up into the air unless you are using a shotgun for hunting/clay purposes and know the area you are shooting into is clear.

·
Registered
38,060 Posts
I cannot imagine a round fire into the air, falling by gravity, then penetrating a roof with enough force to be lethal. Amazing.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Straight Dope: Can a bullet fired into the air kill someone when it comes down?

... a .30 caliber bullet ... testers shot the bullet straight into the air ... It came down bottom (not point) first at what was later computed to be about 300 feet per second.

... According to the article, doctors at King/Drew Medical Center, ... that between 1985 and 1992 they treated 118 people for falling bullet injuries around New Year's Eve or the Fourth of July. Thirty-eight of the victims died. ...

...There is some skepticism about the numbers reported by the King/Drew team," ...The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and the Los Angeles Police Department ...reported only about half a dozen deaths in the same period …

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
I cannot imagine a round fire into the air, falling by gravity, then penetrating a roof with enough force to be lethal. Amazing.

That might be true when a bullet is shot straight up, but how many bullets are?

Anything less that a 90 degree angle would have the bullet falling at a pretty fast rate. We hear of people being just slapped or even wounded with spent bullets and we also see people being killed.

If you watch those middle easterners shooting their AK wildly into the air, especially on full auto, the guns are bouncing around spitting lead everywhere and some of the angles aren't very steep. Shooting a rifle at say a 45 degree angle, and you'll still have enough velocity to punch right through a body a long ways off.

In any case its a dumb thing to do and it violates one of the rules of safety which is "know you backstop and what is beyond".

It dumb and its dangerous.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Years ago a woman was killed by a falling round, which was shot over a mountain in deer season. It fell through the roof of a factory in the town where I was living, at the time, in PA.

It went through the metal roof, ricochet off a steam-pipe and still had enough force to kill her.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
That might be true when a bullet is shot straight up, but how many bullets are?

Anything less that a 90 degree angle would have the bullet falling at a pretty fast rate. We hear of people being just slapped or even wounded with spent bullets and we also see people being killed.

If you watch those middle easterners shooting their AK wildly into the air, especially on full auto, the guns are bouncing around spitting lead everywhere and some of the angles aren't very steep. Shooting a rifle at say a 45 degree angle, and you'll still have enough velocity to punch right through a body a long ways off.

In any case its a dumb thing to do and it violates one of the rules of safety which is "know you backstop and what is beyond".

It dumb and its dangerous.
Concur. Most shots fired into the ait are not straight up and will still have more velocity than that imparted by gravity upon impact. It is a stupid practice done by stupid people. It is also a very common practice in rural areas and inner city areas.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Exactly how fast a bullet (or any object) can fall and exactly how much energy it will have on impact is not a mystery. Bullets aren't magic.

·
Registered
288 Posts
He was hit in the chest. So unless he was laying down, I doubt the gun was fired strait up into the air.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Correction: The subject of the OP was hit in the head.

Straight up would have to be from the church, and nobody's saying that's where the shooter was.

It's a trivial point since the boy is just as dead.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Anything less that a 90 degree angle would have the bullet falling at a pretty fast rate.
I think any angle above about 45 degrees above horizontal will result in the bullet going pretty close to terminal velocity when it gets back to ground level. (Terminal velocity is where the drag force equals the component of the gravitational force along the direction of motion, and the speed no longer changes much).

Whether terminal velocity is lethal ot not depends mostly on total mass relative to cross-sectional area of the bullet (and, to a lesser extent, on the exact bullet shape). Terminal velocity of .22 long-rifle bullets is pretty slow and rarely lethal. But terminal velocity of .50 machine gun bullets is high enough to be very lethal.

It's like a 1" long 3/8" bolt dropped from a skyscraper is lethal, but a "bb" isn't, even if they were made from the same material, and thus had the same density.

Mike Fontenot

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
That certainly is much worse than what happened to me and my prayers for the family. :frown:

I have a new hole in our chimney from New Years Eve... after reading this post, I hope that's the only damage the moron did.

How can people be so stupid? Good gawd, if you must so stupid as to blow off rounds at the very least least shoot them in to the ground! Better yet, shoot yourself! :mad:

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
As a general rule I do not go outside on New Years between 2330 and 0030.

So far so good!

Oh and I am not trying to blame the boy's mother for what happened, but I would not, heck could not, have a little boy like that out after Midnight. Never a good idea to have little ones out and about that time of night, besides, how do you keep them awake?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

So far so good!

Oh and I am not trying to blame the boy's mother for what happened, but I would not, heck could not, have a little boy like that out after Midnight. Never a good idea to have little ones out and about that time of night, besides, how do you keep them awake?
They weren't "out and about"; they were sitting in church. Many folks (and their children) attend Watch Night services and pray in the New Year. We did - with both of our adult children and spouses and five grandchildren.

Familiar activity for most church-going families. If the little ones go to sleep in the pew, who cares, as long as they don't snore loudly. :image035:

It was/is a tragedy, no doubt. So was my friend getting murdered outside his church in North Little Rock on Christmas Eve. :frown:

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
My CPL instructor said the local cops make a point to park their patrol cars under overpasses at 11:30 on newyears eve.

·
Registered
866 Posts

So far so good!

It came through the roof of the church. It could come through the roof of a house, apt building, etc. Unless you received a divine memo from God – or are clairvoyant - how could you know which building would be safer at 20 minutes past the new year? :22a:

·
Registered
828 Posts
The bullet must have been fired at an angle to maintain enough velocity to do this kind of damage. Mythbusters did 2 separate episodes with this one and a bullet coming straight down at terminal velocity does NOT have enough energy to penetrate a body. I believe this could have been someone being stupid and firing anywhere and it angled in through the roof and killed the child. Very sad whatever happened.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts