Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i wasn't working but my boss told me of a man who has his permit to carry that she knows and sees in Target(i work at target) often accidentally had his shirt pulled over pistol(he normally carries concealed). There were also police officers in the store at the same time and someone told them that "there is a man with a gun" they approached him with guns drawn and apparently made a large scene out of the whole thing. I found it totally offensive. He was a white male in his 60's i say that because the target i work for is a very diverse place and he apparently is a very regular looking dude. the guy was unaware of his pistol showing and next thing he knows hes being held at gun point by the minneapolis police department in the middle of Target!! sad...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I have often asked wife if I was printing before going into a store. Now she is very aware and will tell me if I am printing, I'm grateful we share the grace of life together all these years.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I live in a semi-rural area of Washington state. Fortunately guns are too commonplace for officers or deputies to respond with that much enthusiasm over a holstered firearm.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I always check my cover garment anytime I get out of my vehicle or make any move that may raise my shirt enough to expose my gun or xtra mags on my belt

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I feel for the LEO a bit. If someone comes to a LEO and makes certain statments, for example, man with a gun, there is only a limited amount of time to ask follow up questions and only so much benefit of the doubt they can provide the accused.

The fault may be on the people making the allegation. One of those you have to be there. Best part of the story, no one was shot.

·
Registered
107 Posts
yeah you cant really blame the officers, unless they really acted out of hand. If i was a cop, and someone ran up to me saying theres a man with a gun, im gonna think the worst...I think most police are aware of carrying laws and its the common public that cause the problem. Maybe more needs to be done to educate people about the topic of armed citizens in the community...luckily ive never had a problem while OC here in VA, i dont do it much but sometimes when im coming from camping or whatnot

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
OC hangs..... IMO. To many clueless sheeples out there for me to feel comfortable exposing my tool. All it's gonna take is one Barney fife with an attitude and there ya go. YMMV

GBK

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I'd say the LEO's were just doing their jobs, approaching an armed citizen not knowing anything about the situation, and trying to be safe about it.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
If you have a MN license (or one they reciprocate) you may carry either open or concealed.

Is there some rule that prevents OC in Minneapolis? Was Target posted in any way?

If the answer to either is NO, then:
There does not appear to be cause for drawing on the man as he was legal.

Was he arrested?

If not, he was assaulted.

And yes, I sort of feel sorry for the position the LE gets put in, but they should know what is and isn't legal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i feel for both sides but, minnesota is a state with legal open carry and no target is not a gun free zone. someone got spooked i guess.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'd say the LEO's were just doing their jobs, approaching an armed citizen not knowing anything about the situation, and trying to be safe about it.

:facepalm: so its ok to commit aggravated assault just because a man has a gun?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
:facepalm: so its ok to commit aggravated assault just because a man has a gun?
If one is a LEO and approaching an armed person with no other information? Yes!

·
Registered
934 Posts

wow i guess if you have a gun i can approach you with my gun drawn because i have no other info?? i mean every citizen has common law arrest powers so id be all good

what is the RAS or PC for the stop and the act of violence the officer is committing? because a man with a gun isnt PC or RAS per the supreme court in JL v FL in 2000

·
Registered
27 Posts
why not just walk up to him, assuming he presented NO visual threat (in actions or attitude) and tell him, "a citizen saw your weapon, we are checking on the report, and do you have a permit to carry...?"
"You do? Great, can I see it, please? OK, thank you... Keep it covered better and have a nice day..."

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have often asked wife if I was printing before going into a store. Now she is very aware and will tell me if I am printing, I'm grateful we share the grace of life together all these years.
sounds like my 10 year old daughter informing me that I should cover up. I don't ask her, she just feels the need to let me know. I guess even a child knows what could cause trouble.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
So i wasn't working but my boss told me of a man who has his permit to carry that she knows and sees in Target(i work at target) often accidentally had his shirt pulled over pistol(he normally carries concealed). There were also police officers in the store at the same time and someone told them that "there is a man with a gun" they approached him with guns drawn and apparently made a large scene out of the whole thing. I found it totally offensive. He was a white male in his 60's i say that because the target i work for is a very diverse place and he apparently is a very regular looking dude. the guy was unaware of his pistol showing and next thing he knows hes being held at gun point by the minneapolis police department in the middle of Target!! sad...
Why is his race important?

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
There was other information

There was other information. That other information is that OC is legal in MN. That little tidbit was not taken into account in the response.

Now I certainly understand that it was appropriate to go and speak to the person doing the OC, and I also understand that a considerable amount of fear must exist in the officer's mind when doing so, because in MN a license is required before you can OC, so the guy might have been doing it illegally. But fear by itself doesn't justify aggravated assault by an ordinary citizen, and it doesn't justify it in this instance either.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts