Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
About a year ago I saw 2 guys both open carrying in a Subway sandwich shop here in Cincinnati. It made me look twice, and wonder for a moment if they were LEOs.

A moment later it hit me that all the customers at the store were carrying (myself concealed). One safe place to eat tha day. :)

That is the only time I have seen a non LEO open carry in my 20 years here in Ohio.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Open Carry??

The only issue that is in the back of my mind if I were to do Open Carry is that if I am in a Stop and Rob and there is a BG that wants to Rob it, is he going to shoot me first and then rob the place since I am an easy Ambush target? I only CCW.

·
Registered
372 Posts
From what I have heard Ohio is not open carry friendly. I'm sure that varies by location. I've never seen anyone open carry and I've lived here all my life.

·
Registered
934 Posts
The only issue that is in the back of my mind if I were to do Open Carry is that if I am in a Stop and Rob and there is a BG that wants to Rob it, is he going to shoot me first and then rob the place since I am an easy Ambush target? I only CCW.

lol tired argument

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Open carry is legal in Ohio, however, I don't recommend it in a lot of areas. Expect some 'trouble' from the sheeple.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
As said, it depends on your area. Where I live, I OC as often as I CC and have had no issues, but have not been doing it long. A guy on one of the Ohio boards I frequent OC's alot and has not had any issues, we are in the same city.

Cleveland I would not suggest trying, they are anti up there.

As for being picked off if you are OC'ing at the Stop N' Rob, that is said alot, but i have yet to hear about it happening. I have heard of people not committing their crime due to someone being armed.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
As said, it depends on your area. Where I live, I OC as often as I CC and have had no issues, but have not been doing it long. A guy on one of the Ohio boards I frequent OC's alot and has not had any issues, we are in the same city.

Cleveland I would not suggest trying, they are anti up there.

As for being picked off if you are OC'ing at the Stop N' Rob, that is said alot, but i have yet to hear about it happening. I have heard of people not committing their crime due to someone being armed.
What city are you OC'ing in? I went to HS in southern Ohio (Ironton). It was illegal back in 1978, so I never noticed anyone. But I actually lived in KY where it was legal. I even OC'd around a Deputy when I was about 14 without any trouble.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't believe it has ever been "illegal" in Ohio. Technically, the only reason it is legal is we don't have a law against it. Currently, we only have a law (9.68) that gives preemption so cities *can't* make laws against carrying. That specific law also reiterates that Ohio citizens have a state constitutional right to self-defense and to carry.

Also, I have OCed several times in Dayton. The Hasty Tasty is where my OC group eats a lot and is very supportive.,

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
What city are you OC'ing in? I went to HS in southern Ohio (Ironton). It was illegal back in 1978, so I never noticed anyone. But I actually lived in KY where it was legal. I even OC'd around a Deputy when I was about 14 without any trouble.
Not going to give me exact city, but I am about 40 minutes from Columbus.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I will say if you open carry in NE ohio you'll get a hassle. It's just not seen in this area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ohio OC - Cincinnati

Well I regularly oc an cc depending on the weather, during this summer getting gas or out to eat, and what I might be wearing (some of my T shirts don't fit as well). In and around OTR (over the rhine) Clifton, and various other stops, or sometimes I just don't grab my cover shirt.
Ok, Now I wear short milit hair, stand 6'4 250 dress respectable, wear oxfords... so usually don't have to many problems. Luckily Ohio has a Open Carry Law, and my Ohio CHL (concealed handgun license) is only necessary to carry concealed or to carry Open or Concealed in Neighboring state of Indiana.
I have had a few sheeple kinda go bug eye, but for the most people are a lot more considerate to others, seen a most likely bad scene stop from happening, (I think i stopped a robbery once some unsavory looking folks came in then looked an left). Luckily I can wear while I drive my Company truck, with it being ok'd by employer but we lock up when going into a customers place. If your in OHIO you can find more on the OFCC site.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well I regularly oc an cc depending on the weather, during this summer getting gas or out to eat, and what I might be wearing (some of my T shirts don't fit as well). In and around OTR (over the rhine) Clifton, and various other stops, or sometimes I just don't grab my cover shirt.
Ok, Now I wear short milit hair, stand 6'4 250 dress respectable, wear oxfords... so usually don't have to many problems. Luckily Ohio has a Open Carry Law, and my Ohio CHL (concealed handgun license) is only necessary to carry concealed or to carry Open or Concealed in Neighboring state of Indiana.
I have had a few sheeple kinda go bug eye, but for the most people are a lot more considerate to others, seen a most likely bad scene stop from happening, (I think i stopped a robbery once some unsavory looking folks came in then looked an left). Luckily I can wear while I drive my Company truck, with it being ok'd by employer but we lock up when going into a customers place. If your in OHIO you can find more on the OFCC site.
And just to be correct, Ohio does not have an open carry law. We have a constitutional agreement that we have the right to defend ourselves and we *lack* a law denying our ability to carry. The only law we have on the books is 9.68 which says in order to provide a uniform law across the state, excluding Federal and State law restrictions, "a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition."

This is a restrictive law on municipalities and not "permission" to citizens. Ohio doesn't permit in their laws. They restrict. Anything not restricted is allowed, including the owning of machine guns and suppressors (with the usual required Fed involvement).

And you can find more information on that site, even if you aren't in Ohio :p

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have grown up in Ohio, and OC'd once many years ago. I had an encounter with the local PD, and nothing was said during our discussion.
I have never understood OC, as I think that too many sheeple would freak out when you encounter them. I patiently waited on CC, and feel much better with it. With OC, I do not like the fact that the weapon is in full view, and that it could be taken from behind, etc. I do not want anybody to know that I am carrying.

Jamie

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have grown up in Ohio, and OC'd once many years ago. I had an encounter with the local PD, and nothing was said during our discussion.
I have never understood OC, as I think that too many sheeple would freak out when you encounter them. I patiently waited on CC, and feel much better with it. With OC, I do not like the fact that the weapon is in full view, and that it could be taken from behind, etc. I do not want anybody to know that I am carrying.

Jamie
Plus, the bad guy will shoot you first. I'm surprised no one has brought that point up during these OC discussions.

:rofl:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Plus, the bad guy will shoot you first. I'm surprised no one has brought that point up during these OC discussions.

Exactly my point, Metro!

I can maybe see OC in the Western US, in open areas, when camping or hiking, but honestly CC is more clandestine, and I like the element of surprise!

Nothing like having the intended sheeple target turn into a sheep dog when the CC weapon changes the tide quickly!

Jamie

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I agree.....CC for me anytime. I want the BG to think I'm unarmed until the confrontation occurs.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

It's been brought up many times and generally discounted. No one seems to be able to come up with any substantiated cases of this actually happening.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
As for a BG picking you off because your open carrying,well I feel the opposite is true. I think a BG would simply move on to an easier target to rob is he walked by a stop and rob and saw 1,2 or 3 people carrying guns on their hips. Its highly unlikely that any BG unless they had death wish is going to come in guns a blazing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Open Carry has never been illegal in Ohio. That being said, it has never been widely practiced (in modern times) either.

At present time many people who OC have been harassed by LEO's who think they are the only people who should be carrying a gun. I think the people out in the rural areas are okay but in the cities look to be stopped by police and at best questioned for a while and at worst have a gun pointed at you and made to lay flat on the ground while the police figure out if you are legal or not. Even then, they may still charge you with inducing panic :mad:

Unfortunately, if you are going to OC in Ohio, you really should have a lawyer lined up and plenty of money to spend on a court case. Eventually the right person will be falsely arrested and they will take it to court and then LEO's will be afraid to harass law abiding citizens again.

There are times I would like to OC, like when walking the dog or going to the gas station but most of the time, I would CC anyway.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts