Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an observation. Honestly I Conceal Carry 99% of the time. I participated in a First Amendment Protest (about 30 -35 people were there) At the Waller County(TX) Courthouse (Hempstead, TX). This is maybe the third time I had OCd and the first time actually OCing away from my home neighborhood. Before the event, I stopped at a LOVE'S Truck Stop (and it was crowded) in Waller, TX. With my Glock G17 in a Serpa Holster. I fist made use of the restroom. Then made a small purchase in the store. No one seemed shocked, annoyed, or ran out of the store screaming. And though there were a few Sheriff's Deputies there, they too just went about their business as I did.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The first time I OC'ed, I thought the whole world was watching me. I honestly felt like every person was going to call the cops and SWAT teams were going to come rappelling off of every roof top to arrest me. I went to the grocery store and walked around. I waited for the screaming to start, mothers to start clutching their kids, and people to yell at me about my gun. Boy was I mistaken. I OC probably 25-30% of the time and NEVER has anyone said anything to me. As you do it more, you will get more and more comfortable with doing it. I will pass on the advice that was given to me: wear a double, or triple retention holster. There are stupid people and bad guys who would like nothing better than to grab your gun and make you look bad-or worse. And remember that you are an ambassador of the OC community. If you act like a jerk, people will think all gun owners are jerks. If you are polite and try and educate them, people will remember that too. Take care and watch your back.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Well dang, that ruined the party. LOL . All how it should be, good deal.

I was surprised recently while in Michigan .... asked the hotel if they were posted, and they said "no , we aren't , but we prefer people to open carry while at the hotel ".

·
Super Moderator
18,019 Posts
On several occasions I have seen people open carry, never been a problem, no one shrieking in terror, running for the nearest exit, fainting or calling 911. Most people are so clueless to their surroundings that unless something knocks their “smart phone” out of their hands or bumps them on their nose they would never notice it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I OC when home and around the mountain. Only a handful of neighbors up here and they are all gun people. Haven't ventured down off the mountain while OC. Guess I need to work up to that.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
How did the protest go? Ive read a little about the issues going on there over the past week or so.

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
Just an observation. Honestly I Conceal Carry 99% of the time. I participated in a First Amendment Protest (about 30 -35 people were there) At the Waller County(TX) Courthouse (Hempstead, TX). This is maybe the third time I had OCd and the first time actually OCing away from my home neighborhood. Before the event, I stopped at a LOVE'S Truck Stop (and it was crowded) in Waller, TX. With my Glock G17 in a Serpa Holster. I fist made use of the restroom. Then made a small purchase in the store. No one seemed shocked, annoyed, or ran out of the store screaming. And though there were a few Sheriff's Deputies there, they too just went about their business as I did.
That's the way it should be.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The only OC I've seen in DFW is young hipsters toting their AR15s around on their backs like they're trying to prove something to the world. Heck, Texans have been OCing shotguns and rifles for over a hundred years. I guess the newcomers to OCing long guns are just now figured things out.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
The only OC I've seen in DFW is young hipsters toting their AR15s around on their backs like they're trying to prove something to the world. Heck, Texans have been OCing shotguns and rifles for over a hundred years. I guess the newcomers to OCing long guns are just now figured things out.
If they are trying to prove something to the world, they are doing a great job at proving that there is nothing to worry about, and that guns dont shoot people all by themselves, even if they are black. I hope they keep it up. Time for the whiny liberals, and all the "Im a gun owner, but..." people to get used to the fact that people carry guns, and nobody cares what their opinion is of them carrying a gun, or how they carry it, or what they are carrying.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I thought the point of all that was to point out how crazy it was that one could OC a rifle, but not a pistol? Funny that after all that, you now have the option to open carry your pistol. Seems like they proved out a pretty good point, and won back a little liberty in the process. Hardly anything to poke fun at.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've recently started OC'ing every day. Monday through Friday it's pretty boring, because it's just to school (where I don't OC), then work (where I can't carry), and finally home (where I carry until bed time). I may stop at my local stop n rob for gas or cigarettes, but they know me. Saturday and Sunday I OC on errands and what not. I haven't had, what I'd consider, any negative reactions. I've had more than a few polite nods, some smiles, a few double takes, and a few positive gun related conversations due to OC. Nothing bad that I can recall. It's pretty much been a non issue. I'm more aware of my surroundings than I was when I concealed and my elbow and forearm rest more positively on the stocks.

All in all it is what it is with no drama. Works for me

·
Registered
277 Posts
when hunting i have always open carried , but worked dea in the late 70s early 80s 2 45s one low one high no pun but if 30% would open carry bet crime would be near 0

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
I've seen a couple OC's in Wis. at Walmart and Fleet farm. Nobody seemed to care.

The one that made me scratch my head wasn't an OC, but a non-C. A guy was wearing an empty holster.
Was it somewhere that he couldnt carry? Like he may have unholstered prior to walking into the building but didnt feel like removing his holster?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts