Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since open carry in Texas is fairly new, I'm trying to find out if other states that have open carry, and have already had concealed carry reciprocity with Texas, have open carry reciprocity with Texas. Anyone know of a website that can help me? Or is this question clear as mud?
Dave

·
Registered
712 Posts
Virginia has red reciprocity agreement with Texas as far as concealed carry and open carry is legal in Virginia so as far as I can tell you come from Texas once you're in the state of Virginia it's illegal for you to open carry is long as you're legally allowed to own a handgun. However as I have no plans to go to Texas in the near future and I also have a concealed carry permit. Therefore I would have no reason, nor would I want to open carry in my home state of Virginia or in Texas I would certainly not make the trip and open carry without checking into the laws little bit further. Just like you said everything is clear as mud

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
TX is one of the few states that needs a sep permit for OC ...Most its either

A. No permit needed just OC or
B. If you have a CC permit you can OC or CC

If you do plan of vacation and OC I would very very carfully read the laws as often OC is way weirder then CC ..UT you have to carry no round in chamber FL its only if your fishing or shooting or the like ..Etc

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Virginia has red reciprocity agreement with Texas as far as concealed carry and open carry is legal in Virginia so as far as I can tell you come from Texas once you're in the state of Virginia it's illegal for you to open carry is long as you're legally allowed to own a handgun. However as I have no plans to go to Texas in the near future and I also have a concealed carry permit. Therefore I would have no reason, nor would I want to open carry in my home state of Virginia or in Texas I would certainly not make the trip and open carry without checking into the laws little bit further. Just like you said everything is clear as mud
Anyone who can legally possess a handgun can open carry in Virginia. There is no law in Virginia regarding open carry and therefore, no permit requirement. Open carry is the normal (i.e. default or standard) mode of carrying a sidearm in Virginia.

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Reciprocity is for the permit itself, not the laws of the state it was issued in. If the state you're visiting allows open carry with or without a permit, and they recognize your home state permit, then you can OC. But your permit doesn't give you the right to open carry in a state like FL, where OC is banned except while hunting or fishing I believe.

Reactions: ghost tracker

·
Registered
712 Posts
Anyone who can legally possess a handgun can open carry in Virginia. There is no law in Virginia regarding open carry and therefore, no permit requirement. Open carry is the normal (i.e. default or standard) mode of carrying a sidearm in Virginia.
Ya I know there is a typo in my post

·
Registered
63 Posts
TX is one of the few states that needs a sep permit for OC ...Most its either
In Texas, it's not a separate permit... the CHL (old name "Concealed Handgun License") or LTC (new name "License To Cary") is all that's needed to carry either open or concealed. Those that have a CHL, no matter when issued, are automatically permitted to open carry with no additional training.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Reciprocity is for the permit itself, not the laws of the state it was issued in. If the state you're visiting allows open carry with or without a permit, and they recognize your home state permit, then you can OC. But your permit doesn't give you the right to open carry in a state like FL, where OC is banned except while hunting or fishing I believe.
I think there is just an awkwardly worded semantic error here. If the state you are visiting (VA) allows OC without a permit, anyone who is legally allowed to possess a firearm can OC . The permit reciprocity covers complying with the laws of the state you are in where a permit is required.

Here is an example. MI has constitutional OC. If you are able to possess a firearm, you may OC as defined by MI. No permit required. (MI describes weapons in vehicle as "concealed")
CO has reciprocity with MI. MI law has no magazine capacity limits, but I cannot carry a 15 round mag where they are banned in CO just because my home state allows it. I must comply with CO law and Denver ordinances when I drive through that city.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
Anyone over the age of 18 can Open Carry in Virginia. Reciprocity only applies for concealed carry permits.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I think there is just an awkwardly worded semantic error here. If the state you are visiting (VA) allows OC without a permit, anyone who is legally allowed to possess a firearm can OC . The permit reciprocity covers complying with the laws of the state you are in where a permit is required.

Here is an example. MI has constitutional OC. If you are able to possess a firearm, you may OC as defined by MI. No permit required. (MI describes weapons in vehicle as "concealed")
CO has reciprocity with MI. MI law has no magazine capacity limits, but I cannot carry a 15 round mag where they are banned in CO just because my home state allows it. I must comply with CO law and Denver ordinances when I drive through that city.
I have a question about this and I have read the MI law online, although maybe not all the "fine print." Sorry if this has been covered already.
  • My understanding is that MI requires handgun registration. Would an out-of-stater be afoul for the law for having an unregistered handgun, even though everything else was legal?
  • If having a gun in the car is by definition concealed, it seems to me that you can't drive a car OC'ing if you don't have a CC permit. I am I getting that right?

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
You're right, but I think there is a nuance to be observed. Under the Gun Free School Zones Act, you cannot carry within 1000' of a school, even if you are just driving by and even if you did not know you were that close to a school. If you live withing 1000' a school, you can have a gun on your property, but not going to and from your property within the zone. There is an exception if you have a permit to carry issued by the state you're in. Reciprocity does not count. Constitutional Carry does not count. It is a federal five-year sentence with loss of gun rights.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
You're right, but I think there is a nuance to be observed. Under the Gun Free School Zones Act, you cannot carry within 1000' of a school, even if you are just driving by and even if you did not know you were that close to a school. If you live withing 1000' a school, you can have a gun on your property, but not going to and from your property within the zone. There is an exception if you have a permit to carry issued by the state you're in. Reciprocity does not count. Constitutional Carry does not count. It is a federal five-year sentence with loss of gun rights.
Technically a permit to carry a firearm, open or concealed, does not apply to this federal law (18, 921 and 18,922). Neither of those federal statutes mention any sort of permit. What 18,922 does mention is "if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State...", which means a license to possess a firearm, not one to carry a firearm. This just goes to show how poorly and confusing statutes can be written.

At any rate, you do not have to have a permit on your person when walking or driving by a school and carrying openly, or concealed in your vehicle. You just have to have the permit. As for this federal statute being enforced, this virtually never happens. State and local law enforcement is very reluctant to enforce this law. And in any case, it has already been tested in court, as I recall, and found to be unconstitutional (I'm pretty sure that is correct).

I wouldn't worry about walking or driving past a school while armed, especially in Virginia.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Technically a permit to carry a firearm, open or concealed, does not apply to this federal law (18, 921 and 18,922). Neither of those federal statutes mention any sort of permit. What 18,922 does mention is "if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State...", which means a license to possess a firearm, not one to carry a firearm. This just goes to show how poorly and confusing statutes can be written.

At any rate, you do not have to have a permit on your person when walking or driving by a school and carrying openly, or concealed in your vehicle. You just have to have the permit. As for this federal statute being enforced, this virtually never happens. State and local law enforcement is very reluctant to enforce this law. And in any case, it has already been tested in court, as I recall, and found to be unconstitutional (I'm pretty sure that is correct).

I wouldn't worry about walking or driving past a school while armed, especially in Virginia.
Yeah, I agree with you. What I worry about is being in school zone and actually having to use your gun. In today's political climate, you could be on the wrong side of doing the right thing.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I have a question about this and I have read the MI law online, although maybe not all the "fine print." Sorry if this has been covered already.
  • My understanding is that MI requires handgun registration. Would an out-of-stater be afoul for the law for having an unregistered handgun, even though everything else was legal?
  • If having a gun in the car is by definition concealed, it seems to me that you can't drive a car OC'ing if you don't have a CC permit. I am I getting that right?
1. MI does not have registration by definition. A MI resident must complete one of two purchase permit forms to buy a handgun (which is filed with the MSP and becomes "registration" by default). So there is no way for an out of state person to "register" a firearm in MI. CC or OC with your resident state firearms permit.

2. You are correct. There is no way to OC in a motor vehicle in MI. The firearm must be "transported", or the owner of the pistol must have a resident CC license.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you. What I worry about is being in school zone and actually having to use your gun. In today's political climate, you could be on the wrong side of doing the right thing.
I am reasonably certain that if you were forced to use your firearm in a justifiable or excusable manner, your actions should not be cause for an indictment, whether or not you were within a school zone.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts