Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link courtesy of my friends at Condition Red Response and Black Gun Owners Association:

Retention holsters are your friend if you OC.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Open carrying in Detroit? I would call that a gun donation. There isn't enough retention in any holster to open carry in Detroit. Actually when I think about it if the guy had a retention holster they might have just killed him first. Maybe that crappy holster saved his life?

·
Premium Member
35,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Open carrying in Detroit? I would call that a gun donation. There isn't enough retention in any holster to open carry in Detroit. Actually when I think about it if the guy had a retention holster they might have just killed him first. Maybe that crappy holster saved his life?
I'm reluctant to speculate beyond the facts at hand.

I honestly didn't post this to have an OC debate, but to simply point out the need for mechanical retention in an OC holster. Not range holsters, but open carry, duty-style holsters. I'm pretty sure cop holsters are of the retention type. If one wants to carry like a cop, I strongly advocate a cop holster. Also, learn and practice some gun grab retention skills.

·
Registered
19,634 Posts
“ the crime happened in January, but the police just released the video hoping to get the man off the streets”.

That doesn’t sound to me like they are trying to hard to catch him.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Can the perp now join the Black Gun Owners Assc ??? Asking for a friend....

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I've seen a number of OCs here in Springfield, MO. No issues at all Other than the guy who OCed at the 6 o'clock position. It WAS a rather pretty stainless steel item with chartreuse inlays.

·
Premium Member
35,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen a number of OCs here in Springfield, MO. No issues at all Other than the guy who OCed at the 6 o'clock position. It WAS a rather pretty stainless steel item with chartreuse inlays.
The only place I regularly see OC here in Marion County is in a family-run pizza shop in a small village. The staff all OC, and utilize retention holsters.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Wasn't Springfield where that guy got busted for OC'ing in Walmart after calling Walmart to ask if it was OK and being told it was fine?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
The only place I regularly see OC here in Marion County is in a family-run pizza shop in a small village. The staff all OC, and utilize retention holsters.
Is the pizza good? Sounds like Shooter's Grill in Rifle, Colorado.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
I don't begrudge anyone for OC, and if that's what they want to do, so be it. Free country. But if you do OC, yes, please use something more than simple friction retention.

Truth be told I'm skittish about OC in public places because of 1) recent emboldening of leftists confronting people that just want to be left alone; and 2) crazies going for the gun.

Regarding #1, I don't need the headache.

Regarding #2, I don't need the life-or-death struggle.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
An unwise decision on the part of the victim along with potentially poor awareness of his surroundings. Yeah, pretty much a gun donation, Forester58.

·
Premium Member
6,361 Posts
If your carry holster has retention, use it, or one with similar retention at the range...lest you have a very bad moment at the worst time. You can absolutely know that you have retention, but in a moment of excitement forget all about it, focus on the threat, and keep yanking at your gun...to no avail.

·
Premium Member
35,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your carry holster has retention, use it, or one with similar retention at the range...lest you have a very bad moment at the worst time. You can absolutely know that you have retention, but in a moment of excitement forget all about it, focus on the threat, and keep yanking at your gun...to no avail.
Work out the draw-stroke to the point of flawless before venturing out in the world, regardless of set-up.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
This isnt about a retention holster but they do "help". This is about a thug deciding that he wanted his gun. The end result would likely have been the same ( retention holster or not). If a person wants to mitigate this sort of thing.. dont make yourself a target. The idea that violent predatory thugs are scared of any yahoo carrying a gun is simply false. Thugs commonly assess the person and rank them based on how formidable and alert they seem. A gun on the hip ( in and of itself) does little to bolster that ranking. Its not about the gun, the gun does not make everyone a hard target. This sort of crime is often about risk vs gain vs effort vs consequences. If you are being eyed by a thug, its usually beneficial that they perceive risk and effort to easily outweigh the gain. Even then, a criminal may take the risk in spite of all the other factors. No matter how you look at it, the lone citizen is at a substantial disadvantage in a busy public space that they do not control. If a person is going to OC, I would hope that they are on their [A] game.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts