Defensive Carry banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,724 Posts
Open carrying in Detroit? I would call that a gun donation. There isn't enough retention in any holster to open carry in Detroit. Actually when I think about it if the guy had a retention holster they might have just killed him first. Maybe that crappy holster saved his life?
All the open carriers say the gun scares the BG's away.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
This isnt about a retention holster but they do "help". This is about a thug deciding that he wanted his gun. The end result would likely have been the same ( retention holster or not). If a person wants to mitigate this sort of thing.. dont make yourself a target. The idea that violent predatory thugs are scared of any yahoo carrying a gun is simply false. Thugs commonly assess the person and rank them based on how formidable and alert they seem. A gun on the hip ( in and of itself) does little to bolster that ranking. Its not about the gun, the gun does not make everyone a hard target. This sort of crime is often about risk vs gain vs effort vs consequences. If you are being eyed by a thug, its usually beneficial that they perceive risk and effort to easily outweigh the gain. Even then, a criminal may take the risk in spite of all the other factors. No matter how you look at it, the lone citizen is at a substantial disadvantage in a busy public space that they do not control. If a person is going to OC, I would hope that they are on their [A] game.
A lot of wisdom in the above post.
Carrying a hammer in the loop on your coveralls does not necessarily mean you are a carpenter.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
All the open carriers say the gun scares the BG's away.
There does seem to be a developing culture where this belief reins supreme.
I did think it was interesting and unusually thorough reporting that the article stated people are OC'ing more in Detroit because Wayne County has a year-long wait to get a CC permit. The article said they didn't know if the victim in this case was waiting on his, but it hints at an unintended consequences problem. I would not normally OC, but I would if that was the only way I could carry legally.

·
Premium Member
35,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I did think it was interesting and unusually thorough reporting that the article stated people are OC'ing more in Detroit because Wayne County has a year-long wait to get a CC permit. The article said they didn't know if the victim in this case was waiting on his, but it hints at an unintended consequences problem. I would not normally OC, but I would if that was the only way I could carry legally.
That was the only way to legally carry in Ohio until 2004. That said, it was seldom seen.

·
Registered
19,593 Posts
That was the only way to legally carry in Ohio until 2004. That said, it was seldom seen.
Even though Ky had a constitutional provision to allow open carry since its inception, I very rarely ever saw any one do it.
But when I did, it was always the sloppiest, cheapest set up you could imagine.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Anybody still feel like the idiot that had his gun stolen still deserves the right to carry a gun? Are you starting to see that a person should be deemed responsible enough to carry before they should be allowed to carry? If you can't defend the gun then you don't need a gun. You need to figure something else out.
If the guy who was carrying that gun was that stupid then maybe the thief did the world a favor.

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
Anybody still feel like the idiot that had his gun stolen still deserves the right to carry a gun? Are you starting to see that a person should be deemed responsible enough to carry before they should be allowed to carry? If you can't defend the gun then you don't need a gun. You need to figure something else out.
If the guy who was carrying that gun was that stupid then maybe the thief did the world a favor.
Tough crowd.

·
Premium Member
35,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Your sentiment hits particularly close to me as a person whose best friend (an on-duty cop) was beaten, disarmed and murdered with his own Glock. Suffice to say, I do not share your apparent contempt for victims of violent crime.

·
Premium Member
7,569 Posts
Are you seriously saying that if you are not capable of defending your gun you should not be allowed to carry?
What about older folks who can't fight off a younger, stronger assailant?
Or a small woman not capable of fighting off a big guy?
Is your second amendment rights tied to how well you can fight?
Sure you should have good situational awareness and depending on the location consider concealment.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts