Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all within driving distance of Trenton, NJ:

We have a one time opportunity to speak to Governor Corzine’s Handgun Task Force.

The Handgun Task Force is going to review all NJ gun laws over the next 18 months (starting from July 27), starting with a review of the one-handgun-a-month law.

There is an open public meeting on September 24, at 11:00am at the State House Annex, Committee Room 4, in Trenton, NJ.

Anyone can attend, but if you want to testify, you have to call Sobande Afolabi, in the Gov’s Counsel’s office, 609-777-2462.

I called the State House Annex and confirmed that Committee Room 4 holds only about 150 people. Therefore, it is critical that we get there early and with as many people as possible.

I am sure that, whether you live in New Jersey, or you have to drive through New Jersey occasionally, that you are equally as fed up with the ridiculous gun control laws in this state. This is one of those very rare occasions where we can actually be heard.

If anyone chooses to attend, please post as such. I am going to be posting this on multiple forums and I would like to keep a running total of those attending.

Thanks for your help and good luck to everyone!

Smity

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I am nowhere near New Jersey. What is the purpose of reviewing the gun laws? Is this a publicity stunt for re-election or is Corzine's Task Force actually reviewing the laws for any reason other than to rub them in your face?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
If it's Corzines task force, what would be the point? Kind of like being in Berlin in 1942 and attending a conference hosted by the SS to review Hitlers plan for the Final Solution.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
If it's Corzines task force, what would be the point? Kind of like being in Berlin in 1942 and attending a conference hosted by the SS to review Hitlers plan for the Final Solution.
That's about right.

Or

"now, what's your name Sir, and do you own any guns ? ". ......

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't forget, carrying in national parks was impossible also... that goes into effect in Feb, 2010. :image035:

Smity

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Good luck!

FWIIW -- sometimes a majority of the attendees with highly visible Pro-RKBA stickers (VCDL uses :Guns Save Lives) and /or empty holsters helps make the point.

A couple sessions ago, when the brady bunch bussed less than 100 people from Virginia Tech to the State House (to support requiring background checks on private sales/transfers by individuals), about 600 RKBA folk showed up with "Guns Save Lives" stickers/buttons. Those highly visible silent reminders did not go un-noticed by the politicos or the press -- albeit most did not actually speak during the comment period.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, those are good suggestions. We can use all the help that we can get.

Smity

·
Registered
752 Posts
Smity, 2 things you need to ask are:

1) Will the One-Gun-a-Month law apply to retailers as well as individuals? Evan Nappen has stated that is the case, and the way NJ law is written, everything is illegal unless otherwise stated. If the law applies to retailers, they'll be out of buisness very fast.

2) Will the state actually enforce the 30-day approval for purchase permits? Most of the NJ localities drag their feet and it's taken 6 months-1 year to get 1 handgun for some. So now with this law, it's not 12 handguns/year max, it's more like 1 or maybe 2 per year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the list of those "invited" to testify in front of the TF.

Scott L. Bach, Esq., National Rifle Association
Frank Caso -- Owner of Caso's Gun-A-Rama Inc in Jersey City, NJ
Kathy Chatterton -- National Champion, 2009 Standard Pistol
Thomas Comey, Police Chief, Jersey City Police Department -- Stated that pump action shotguns are assault weapons
Craig Dear -- unknown
Stan Gurski, New Jersey Arms Collectors
Jerramiah T. Healy, Mayor, Jersey City -- supports OGAM and other gun control
Andrew Jennison, National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action
Carol Katona, Citizen’s Rifle & Revolver Club
David Lang -- ANJRPC -- Director, International Pistol
Dale Leddon -- unknown
Carl Leisinger -- expert witness in firearms and ballistics -- high power shooter
Jake McGuigan, National Shooting Sports Foundation
Evan F. Nappen, Esq. -- pro gun attorney
Gary Needleman, Esq. -- pro gun attorney
Butch Sacco, New Jersey Retail Dealers Association
George Shivery, Jr., Mullica Rife and Pistol Club, Mayor, Gibbstown
Brian Sisz -- Owner of the Sportmen's Center, Bordentown, NJ
Mitchell Sklar, New Jersey Association of Chiefs of Police (position on the issue unknown)
Ed Tarpy, New Jersey Retail Dealers Association
Don A. Toenshoff -- President, Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol Club
Robert L. Viden, Association of New Jersey Firearms Retailers

It is very important that anyone who can attend does so to support the folks that are testifying on our behalf.

If anyone knows anything about those that I listed as unknown, please let us know who they are and their position of the issue. Thanks!

Smity

·
Registered
143 Posts
For those unable to attend but still wishing to provide comments on the topic, please send a short, polite email to:

[email protected]

Sallye (yes, that is the correct spelling) is in the State House counsel's office and will make sure your comments get to the Committee.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Email sent. I'm not sure if it was appropriate or not, but it has been sent.

I am unable to attend the meeting, but would like to know if the state of NJ has any intention of modifying its current conceal carry permit status / procedures.

NJ is marked as a may issue state, but I have never heard of anyone actually getting a carry permit, especially for self defense or 2nd Amendment purposes. The states bordering NJ, currently do issue permits to residents and PA issues to non-residents. Being a resident of a state that theoretically issues permits I can not get a permit from PA without first receiving a NJ permit. The current NJ laws / regulations are not only impacting residents while in NJ, they are also impacting residents when traveling outside of the state.

Additionally I would like to understand why the state is focusing so much on “gun control”, versus what the issues really are which are crime, the apprehension, prosecution and detention of criminals. Laws as imposed by the state impact law abiding citizens and not criminals. Instead of imposing stronger restrictions on us law abiding citizens why not enforce the laws and go after those breaking the law. Stop treating law abiding, peaceful citizens as criminals.

Thank you for your time,
--
Rich

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rmilchman, I think your comments are perfectly appropriate. I hope you don't mind, but I posted your comments as an example on a few other sites.

Smity

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nothing out of the way in that. It's polite but straight to the point. Excellent writing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a question regarding Corzine's Handgun Taskforce.

Que bono? Who benefits?

What is motivating Corzine to implement his Handgun Taskforce? Does he want to avoid an NRA challenge to NJ gun laws? Does he see a benefit in securing for himself the votes of New Jersey gun owners?

This is important to me because I have relatives living in New Jersey and New York.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I have a question regarding Corzine's Handgun Taskforce.

Que bono? Who benefits?

What is motivating Corzine to implement his Handgun Taskforce? Does he want to avoid an NRA challenge to NJ gun laws? Does he see a benefit in securing for himself the votes of New Jersey gun owners?

:yup:

Crossed my mind, also.

No one in government conducts an evaluation, investigation, or hearing w/o an agenda. :image035:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts