Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I haven't owned a 1911 for several years. I decided that the capacity issue and their ability to be a bit finicky just weren't things I was willing to deal with in a concealed carry gun. So I moved on, and eventually decided to sell the last couple I had. Now, I'm wanting another 1911, and I know if is an urge that won't go away until it is scratched.

I'm still not going to be carrying the gun, at least not regularly. I currently carry a HK USP or USPc and will continue to do so until Glock decides to make a gun without finger grooves (and with the FBI thing I assume that time is coming, and I can hope it will be made available to the public!!). When that happens I will go back to Glock and be done with it. So, I am looking for a 1911 just to have fun with, to look at, and to feel like I'm not a traitor to everything that is the gun world of the United States. However, I don't have the first clue what's out there today. I know I'm not looking for high end stuff. The Wilson Combats of the world are spectacular guns, but I am not going to spend that much on a pistol that doesn't have an actual job. I am also not looking for bottom of the barrel stuff, so the Rock Islands, GI type guns, etc. aren't on my radar. Everything between the two extremes is a possibility.

So, who is making stuff I should be looking at? I assume Springfield is still top drawer stuff. Probably Sig as well. Outside of that, I don't know. How are the Kimbers? Are modern Colts worth looking at? What about STI, Smith, Para???? Really, I'm behind times when it comes to modern 1911s. So help me out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 1911A1 is a Chinese made Norinco, 5" BBL, 7+1. They are available from time to time on GB, $500+. These things are solid, all steel and supposedly made with Colt equipment, whatever that means. I know the 1911 purist will choke and gag but you don't want to be on the business end of this thing.

Shown with Pachmayr grip:

IMG_1101.jpg

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The Ruger SR1911 & SR1911 CMD are certainly worth a look IMHO. Excellent value for the money (less than $700). My stainless steel CMD is well built, and has proven to be both accurate and dependable. Good luck with your decision :smile:

·
Super Moderator
22,296 Posts
So, I haven't owned a 1911 for several years. I decided that the capacity issue and their ability to be a bit finicky just weren't things I was willing to deal with in a concealed carry gun. So I moved on, and eventually decided to sell the last couple I had. Now, I'm wanting another 1911, and I know if is an urge that won't go away until it is scratched.

I'm still not going to be carrying the gun, at least not regularly. I currently carry a HK USP or USPc and will continue to do so until Glock decides to make a gun without finger grooves (and with the FBI thing I assume that time is coming, and I can hope it will be made available to the public!!). When that happens I will go back to Glock and be done with it. So, I am looking for a 1911 just to have fun with, to look at, and to feel like I'm not a traitor to everything that is the gun world of the United States. However, I don't have the first clue what's out there today. I know I'm not looking for high end stuff. The Wilson Combats of the world are spectacular guns, but I am not going to spend that much on a pistol that doesn't have an actual job. I am also not looking for bottom of the barrel stuff, so the Rock Islands, GI type guns, etc. aren't on my radar. Everything between the two extremes is a possibility.

So, who is making stuff I should be looking at? I assume Springfield is still top drawer stuff. Probably Sig as well. Outside of that, I don't know. How are the Kimbers? Are modern Colts worth looking at? What about STI, Smith, Para???? Really, I'm behind times when it comes to modern 1911s. So help me out.
The new Colt's are very much worth looking at, as are the RIA's, they certainly aren't the bottom of the barrel. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
22,296 Posts
My 1911A1 is a Chinese made Norinco, 5" BBL, 7+1. They are available from time to time on GB, $500+. These things are solid, all steel and supposedly made with Colt equipment, whatever that means. I know the 1911 purist will choke and gag but you don't want to be on the business end of this thing.

Shown with Pachmayr grip:

View attachment 149450
The Norinco's are excellent pistols, I wish they could still be imported into the U.S.
They are not made on Colt equipment though, Colt is still using their old equipment. :wink:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I've got one of the new Colt Government models. I couldn't be happier with it.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have no qualms using a 1911 for edc since I've never owned one that ever malfunctioned in any way. Sig makes me the happiest but my basic model commander Remington R1 has been the biggest bang for the buck of any 1911 I've owned.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I had a Series 70 Mk 4 Colt 1911 (purchased in the 70's) for many years and foolishly traded it away. Wish I'd Kept it.
Now I have a Kimber Tactical Custom 2 --and only because I acquired it in a trade--but I like it a lot.

If I were shopping for a 1911 the Sig would be on my list to look at.

A cousin of mine, who is a Dep Sheriff in S Tx, carries a Springfield 1911 and it's been his primary for over 30 years.
We once did a shooting comparison with his Springfield, another friend's Colt Combat Commander, and my Sig P220.
Pulling ammo from the same box we all three fired a round into the drivers door of an 80's era Dodge pickup at 3 yards, 7 yards, and 15 yards. All 3 penetrated the door's inner panel at 3 yards. But at the 7 & 15 yard tests, only the Sig P220 penetrated the door completely. My cousin, the LEO, wanted to do this test to see which gun had enough penetration power to possibly stop a fleeing perp should he ever have to shoot at such a target.

We then broke down the 3 guns and analyzed, as best we could, why only the SIG penetrated the door at the longer distances.
And we determined that the chamber pressure had to be a bit higher on the SIG due to it's tighter lock up.
When I bought my Sig P220 they didn't offer a 1911 style. But now that they do, I would surely take a look at it if I were shopping.

·
Super Moderator
18,246 Posts
I will second the Colt, Springfield, Ruger and the RIA all are well made and will serve you well. While it may be lower cost the RIA is by no means cheap.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I currently carry a HK USP or USPc and will continue to do so until Glock decides to make a gun without finger grooves (and with the FBI thing I assume that time is coming, and I can hope it will be made available to the public!!).
In case you weren't aware, you can buy a Glock factory smooth trigger for $14 that is made for the full size models and drop it into a compact model. I bought one for my G19 and it made shooting it much more enjoyable (and perfectly legal).

I don't know what you are referring to regarding the "FBI thing". The 'serrated' triggers are used on the compact models due to import rules. A handgun must have a certain number of "points" to be legal to import for the civilian market. The serrated trigger offsets the compact size. So, I doubt anything they are doing special for the FBI would translate to the civilian models.

EDIT: The replacement is super simple. No gunsmithing knowledge needed. You can find several videos on Youtube that show the process.

·
Super Moderator
22,296 Posts
In case you weren't aware, you can buy a Glock factory smooth trigger for $14 that is made for the full size models and drop it into a compact model. I bought one for my G19 and it made shooting it much more enjoyable (and perfectly legal).

I don't know what you are referring to regarding the "FBI thing". The 'serrated' triggers are used on the compact models due to import rules. A handgun must have a certain number of "points" to be legal to import for the civilian market. The serrated trigger offsets the compact size. So, I doubt anything they are doing special for the FBI would translate to the civilian models.

EDIT: The replacement is super simple. No gunsmithing knowledge needed. You can find several videos on Youtube that show the process.
He's not referring to the trigger, he's talking about the "finger rests/finger grooves" on the frame, the FBI ordered theirs without them.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm a died in the wool 1911 fan, but certainly no expert on everything out there. If I were choosing something in the $1,000+/- price range, I'd look at Colt or STI (Trojan). Toward the lower end, STI used to make a Spartan model which can still be found NIB and, in my experience, they were about the best of the relative inexpensive 1911s one could find.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Two years ago I picked up a RIA, 45ACP at a gun show at a price that I couldn't pass up. On the way home from the show, I dropped it off at my gunsmith, and told him to do two hours labor on anything he deemed necessary. It's just as good as my much more expensive Colt Commander, and far from a bottom of the barrel firearm.

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
The Norinco's are excellent pistols, I wish they could still be imported into the U.S.
They are not made on Colt equipment though, Colt is still using their old equipment. :wink:
"Old" but not the ancient equipment dating back to before WWII. Colt invested heavily in new tooling around the early 90s to improve manufacturing tolerances, resulting in less hand-fitting required for individual guns. A guy I know did a lot of work on the tooling as a contract designer for Colt back then and was quite proud of his work there, even though he's a dedicated Smith & Wesson wheelgunner.

Back the the OP, I hope OD* isn't listening too closely but of the 4 1911s here, 3 are Springfields and one is a Kimber. Whenever I was poised to buy another 1911, Colts were either out of my price range or they didn't offer the models I wanted - but I'll correct the Colt deficit eventually. The one in my avatar is my first, a 1911-A1 bought new in 1990. A TRP and a 9mm Range Officer have come along since then, and they're all solid and satisfying guns.

·
Super Moderator
22,296 Posts
"Old" but not the ancient equipment dating back to before WWII. Colt invested heavily in new tooling around the early 90s to improve manufacturing tolerances, resulting in less hand-fitting required for individual guns. A guy I know did a lot of work on the tooling as a contract designer for Colt back then and was quite proud of his work there, even though he's a dedicated Smith & Wesson wheelgunner.
Yep, when you first walk into the factory itself, there are 4, refurbished 1944 Bridgeport's to meet you. :wink:

Of course Colt started supplementing them with new CNC machines circa '06/'07.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Mid Price Range $900-1400 - Kimber, Dan Wesson, Sig, SPR Range officer, Colt. Several Flavors. I'd go with a 5" 1911 if it's more for fun and less for concealability but nothing less than 4"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts