Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I really want to get into the .40 platform, as I'm pretty committed to 9mm, but I have an opportunity to pick up a USP compact in trade. What do you think? Does that bump in the trigger guard rub and start to annoy? Can you live with the non-standard mag release? How expensive are their accessories for the proprietary rail? Etc.

Just gathering data in order to make a decision. Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I own 2 and think they are great guns. Do have their drawbacks though; blocky, kinda heavy and the mag relase does take some getting used to. As far a .40's go it's about as soft a shooter as you will ever find. I think it shoots softer than the Glock even with a stainless steel recoil rod.

If you have several 9mm's and are looking for something different I don't think you will be disappointed.

Be Safe,

NosaM

·
Registered
785 Posts
I dunno about the USP, but if you want a soft-shooting 40, take a look at the Springfield XDm and the Steyr M40 and M40-A1 (IF you can find one). If you're looking for a more compact weapon, look at the Springfield XD40SC.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I dunno about the USP, but if you want a soft-shooting 40, take a look at the Springfield XDm and the Steyr M40 and M40-A1 (IF you can find one). If you're looking for a more compact weapon, look at the Springfield XD40SC.
I do know about the USP...and even the USP compact is a much softer-shooting platform than the XDm (used to have one of those)...the fullsize USP is possibly the softest-shooting .40 I've ever handled.

I don't currently own any .40's, but if I ever own another, the odds are it'll be a USP compact.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
nothing wrong in getting a new to you gun in trade. it is allway fun getting something new to play around with. it you don't like you can trade/sale it off.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have a USP .45c with over 1,500 rounds down the pipe AND NOT A SINGLE FTF OR FTE with any factory ammo of any bullet weight and/or configuration (I did need to adjust the OAL on my handloads slightly from where they were set for the 1911's). I have Glocks, Colts, Kimbers, Taurus and S&Ws; all great guns that work well but as a "weapon" the H&K is in a class of its own IMHO.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just traded a USPc in .40S&W for a Sig P229 in .40.

The USP is a good gun, but I didn't like the grip or the mag release. It sat in my hand just fine, but I couldn't draw the gun. For some reason, I just couldn't get in my hand properly out of a holster (and I tried several). The texture on the grip does make the gun stick to your hand well, but it also makes it hard to adjust your grip as you bring it up out of the holster. The recoil buffer does mitigate the perceived recoil quite a bit, but my M&P full size has about the perceived recoil in about the same size package. The extra weight of the Sig has about the same effect.

I guess what I'm trying to get it at is the USP is a good gun, but not for me. I'd definitely recommend trying it out with a holster. Their texture bites into the hand. It's not too uncomfortable at the range though.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Go for it. The USPC in 40 was my first pistol. I love that little thing. The mag release doesn't take that much to get used to and I actually kind of prefer it. Mine has been very reliable and accurate. The texture on the grip is nice to. Its aggressive but it doenst hurt. You can shoot it in 100 degree heat with 90% humidity and it still won't come out of your hands. You won't regret the trade.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Great gun

I have a USP 40c which I got 5 years ago. It has about 2000 rounds through it without a hitch. The trigger is very good and the gun is small and lightweight enough for easy concealment.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. Sounds like a resounding "go for it." Another question (though I could research it myself) -- is the barrel standard rifling or polygonal? I was considering shooting lead reloads at the range.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The barrel is polygonal, but I shoot cast bullets in mine all the time.

There is no doubt that the USP40F is a soft recoiling gun in comparison to any other .40. The "C" doesn't have the dual recoil spring and loses a bit in that department.

The mag release is THE BOMB. Fastest reloads in the business. <hint> USE YOUR TRIGGER FINGER, and not your thumb. Once you do that, any other gun will seem pathetically slow by comparison. No shifting in the hand, just pop it and go. Love 'em.

Dan

·
Registered
277 Posts
The mag release is THE BOMB. Fastest reloads in the business. <hint> USE YOUR TRIGGER FINGER, and not your thumb. Once you do that, any other gun will seem pathetically slow by comparison. No shifting in the hand, just pop it and go. Love 'em.
Dan nailed it.
Use your finger not thumb for mag release and you will never look back.

·
Registered
103 Posts
love love love this gun. you can tell the superior quality you you pull back the slide soooo smooth very accurate.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My favorite carry gun ever was my P2000. It's basically the same as a USPc. I miss that gun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts