Defensive Carry banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger SR-556? What opinions does everyone have about them? I have been looking at them online and think I would like to have one, but I just wanted to get some opinions about them first.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger SR-556? What opinions does everyone have about them? I have been looking at them online and think I would like to have one, but I just wanted to get some opinions about them first.
I got a change to lay my hands on one my neighbor has. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet by my initial impressions were that it was heavy...very heavy. He hadn't done anything do it but pull it out of the box and i thought it weighted a ton. He has had the change to shoot it and said that he loves it and he's had a crapload of AR's. I thought the rails and stock all of that was great. He said so far he hasn't had any issues with it. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it this weekend and letcha know. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a change to lay my hands on one my neighbor has. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet by my initial impressions were that it was heavy...very heavy. He hadn't done anything do it but pull it out of the box and i thought it weighted a ton. He has had the change to shoot it and said that he loves it and he's had a crapload of AR's. I thought the rails and stock all of that was great. He said so far he hasn't had any issues with it. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it this weekend and letcha know. Just my $.02.
have any idea what he gave for it? I see them listed on the Ruger site for $1,995, but that's thier suggested price.

·
Registered
862 Posts
have any idea what he gave for it? I see them listed on the Ruger site for $1,995, but that's thier suggested price.
$1580 or somewhere right around there.

then he put an ACOG on it...and i became envious.... :smile:

·
Registered
601 Posts
It is really front heavy. All the rails might look pretty, but they really throw the balance of the rifle off.

If you want a piston AR, there are lots of better options. The new Sig 516 has a lower MSRP and might be a better choice.

·
Banned
908 Posts
"Small Arms Review" has a review of it this month. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 556 is nice, but I'm going to hold out for the 516. It's Sig's version of an AR-15. American Rifleman had a nice write up on them and have a MSRP of ~$1300. I haven't seen one available yet, but I'm saving my pennies.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 556 is nice, but I'm going to hold out for the 516. It's Sig's version of an AR-15. American Rifleman had a nice write up on them and have a MSRP of ~$1300. I haven't seen one available yet, but I'm saving my pennies.
I didn't know that sig was coming out with a Piston AR. When will it come out?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't heard anything definate. Double-check the article I linked to just in case I missed it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have an SR-556. I bought shortly after they started hitting the stores for about $1,550. It's a solid rifle. A little heavier in the front end as others have said. I'd take it all day long over a standard M4. Function has been flawless with standard AR15 mags, but the MagPuls just don't feel secure in the gun like a standard metal mag does. No issue since I have standard mags all over the place and that's what I use. I really like the gun and will be keeping it. If I had known last fall that Sig's 516 was on the way and their design, I would have probably held out for the Sig for one reason... The Sig appears to have a standard operating rod setup, one piece all the way back to the bolt carrier. Ruger's is chopped up into I think 3 pieces. Perfectly functional, I just prefer the tried single design.

Good rifle. Prefer it over the standard AR GI system. Shoots great. Quality firearm. But $1,900 is way over priced.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
But $1,900 is way over priced.
For any AR that's overpriced. $1000 is overpriced. does it really cost that much to make one on a CNC? I mean the bugs are long worked out of prodution of the design.

·
Registered
388 Posts
NO, but..........

Ruger SR-556 Autoloading Rifle.... it looks a little large for concealed carry! :scratchchin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ruger SR-556

I am new to the forum but i was doing some research on the Ruger 556, I sell these and have a customer who has now returned 2 of these for replacement, He was noticing metal shaving on the bolt and charging tube, It was jamming alot is what he had been telling me so i have order another replacement Firearm for him and he is on his way to pick this one up and exchange for the other, 2 times now for the same reason, I know there is a breakin period on these since Ruger specs are tight, but then I was asking what shells he was working with and he was using some forigne brand ammo that I am not familar with, So far as I have been doing alot of reading and asking Ruger what the problem could be and still have no answer . Burs in the charging tube and on bolt maybe, Have not a clue on this and neither does Ruger, Anyone have a problem with this Rifle and if so please let me know so I can talk with ruger at the Shot Show In Vegas. Thanks Group LB

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ruger SR556 is an excellent AR only cons is that some of them had the Bolt Carrier rubbing inside the walls of the buffer tube , other then that its a great gun and yes its alittle overpriced but i rather have the SR 556 then a SIG556.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am new to the forum but i was doing some research on the Ruger 556, I sell these and have a customer who has now returned 2 of these for replacement, He was noticing metal shaving on the bolt and charging tube, It was jamming alot is what he had been telling me so i have order another replacement Firearm for him and he is on his way to pick this one up and exchange for the other, 2 times now for the same reason, I know there is a breakin period on these since Ruger specs are tight, but then I was asking what shells he was working with and he was using some forigne brand ammo that I am not familar with, So far as I have been doing alot of reading and asking Ruger what the problem could be and still have no answer . Burs in the charging tube and on bolt maybe, Have not a clue on this and neither does Ruger, Anyone have a problem with this Rifle and if so please let me know so I can talk with ruger at the Shot Show In Vegas. Thanks Group LB

He might be using steel cased cartridges which are causing his problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts